PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pictorial anatomy of a Maroney carry

Status
Not open for further replies.
But this . . .

The pictures are clear that he saw the hole and didn't hit it. I like Maroney, really. But his playing like a tough RB is very inconsistent.

1.) Where was the play designed to go?

2.) Is the tight end winning or losing his battle?

3.) Is Yates winning or losing his battle?

4.) Is Kaczur winning his battle from the beginning?

5.) How many men are in the box?

6.) Where are the men that we don't see in the picture?

7.) Assuming, for the moment, that Maroney saw the hole, did he see it when the tight end and guard had their feet almost touching, or when there was some real separation?

I know it's only one play, but the coaches have to cringe when they see stuff like this on film. How can you possibly miss hitting that Red Sea-like hole unless A) you're already looking past the LOS to the second/third level and anticipating a 90+ yard TD run, or B) you simply do not possess the field vision that comes naturally to an NFL caliber back.

I like Maroney and hope he can still be coached up and stick with the team but the CJack comparisons are inevitable now--I don't care what he did for a few games last season.

1.) Where was the play designed to go?

2.) Is the tight end winning or losing his battle?

3.) Is Yates winning or losing his battle?

4.) Is Kaczur winning his battle from the beginning?

5.) How many men are in the box?

6.) Where are the men that we don't see in the picture?

7.) Assuming, for the moment, that Maroney saw the hole, did he see it when the tight end and guard had their feet almost touching, or when there was some real separation?
Defend him how you like, pictures like this confirm what it's looked like live - he's very inconsistent in hitting holes and playing physical. If you don't see it that way, so be it. I love his upside and hopefully the shoulder was more of a problem than we are aware.

Defend him how you like, pictures like this confirm what it's looked like live - he's very inconsistent in hitting holes and playing physical. If you don't see it that way, so be it. I love his upside and hopefully the shoulder was more of a problem than we are aware.

Defend what? The O.P. may be 100% correct about his theory of the play. The point is that nobody on this board can tell from the pictures. What the pictures do seem to show, though, is that the outside blocker is getting beaten and driven back, and Kaczur is fought to a standstill at impact, before seeming to gain the advantage.

Either the play was designed to be a cutback (unlikely in this offense), or it was designed to go off the right guard. Also, since we can't see where the other defenders are, we don't know if there's someone coming up on either side of Kaczur, so we can't tell which lane would be Maroney's best choice.

Great pics and description: thanks for posting. He is inconsistent to say the least. Not that it matters now.

Either the play was designed to be a cutback (unlikely in this offense), or it was designed to go off the right guard.

The coaches would rather Maroney stay in the lane where the play is designed to go [and bang into his RT than hitting a hole that wasn't supposed to be there.:eek:

Lets just pile on the guy on IR. Give it a break. All you get rid of Maroney folks, you got your wish, he is gone for the season.

This is not piling on. Its just breaking down a player's performance. I'd love for Maroney to succeed, and you expect that a legitimate 1st round pick with Maroney's college resume would do just that. It's just mystifying how poor his instincts are.

Why bring thes up now? The guy is on IR so he not a factor for the rest of the year.:eek:...

Sorry to be such a homer as to state facts.

I meant to post this a couple of weeks ago, but I just moved and wasn't able to get to it until now. The point is moot now that Maroney is out.

How can a first round draft pick not hit a hole that big ?

The same way a veteran like Faulk can't hit that sort of hole. I just saw the exact same thing happen with Faulk running to the left. I guess the Pats should cut Faulk also.

This is not piling on. Its just breaking down a player's performance. I'd love for Maroney to succeed, and you expect that a legitimate 1st round pick with Maroney's college resume would do just that. It's just mystifying how poor his instincts are.

Its a poor assumption on your part that his instincts are poor. There You make too many assumptions about what was supposed to happen, particularly on what play was called.

Faulk has 6 carries for 17 yards and the man with 4 names has 5 carries for 10 yards.... against the Rams.

Yes, let's focus on one incomplete recording of one play by a running back on IR rather than notice that this team simply can't run the ball most of the time this year, no matter who's taking the handoff.

Its a poor assumption on your part that his instincts are poor. There You make too many assumptions about what was supposed to happen, particularly on what play was called.

The play could not be more basic - a running play out of the I formation with Maroney taking a hand off to the right of Cassell. The hole off tackle is gigantic. Regardless of which gap the play is designed to be run to, any running back at any level would instinctively run to that much daylight.

The same way a veteran like Faulk can't hit that sort of hole. I just saw the exact same thing happen with Faulk running to the left. I guess the Pats should cut Faulk also.

You did not see the exact same play happen.

Excellent evidence. It is a damn shame, because with his blazing speed he could have maybe scored a long TD on that play. The guy's peripheral vision is horrible, maybe he should stop wearing a visor.

I hope your camera is on the fritz this week because I don't want to be subjected to the anatomy of running a rookie UDFA with 4 names because the other 3 RB are all having glass issues...and this OL can't chew gum (run block) and walk (pass block) and this week they focused on pass blocking.

It's just one play but is, indeed, very damning. And disappointing because we all know what Maroney can do when he hits the open field.

Yes, but if the guy is such a monumental 'bust' it is not because he gained 7yds vs. 15-20. He could have gained 25 but fumbled and then we'd have another reason to dislike him.
What about all the runs he had for no gain or 1 yd losses....was that also because of a 'wide-open hole' he missed or was it because our OL run blocks inconsistently?

But this . . .

The pictures are clear that he saw the hole and didn't hit it. I like Maroney, really. But his playing like a tough RB is very inconsistent.

What the photos don't show is if there is a LB of safety coming in to fill the hole. The photos do not convince me either way.

And as I said in other post, why bring this up now when the guy is on IR? :confused:

Edit: I'm not trying to make excuses for him. I only count 7 red shirts in the photo, Where are the other four? Maybe he should have broken this one for a big run. I just don't see the point.
Chad Jackson was a bust, Maroney has contributed to this team many times. Not all first rounders are pro bowl players. Not all QB's drafted 199 are backups. The fact is that only 46% of all first rounders are with the team that drafted them after 4 years. I heard Jimmy Johnson say that today.

Last edited:
Faulk has 6 carries for 17 yards and the man with 4 names has 5 carries for 10 yards.... against the Rams.

Yes, let's focus on one incomplete recording of one play by a running back on IR rather than notice that this team simply can't run the ball most of the time this year, no matter who's taking the handoff.

Excellent points. All of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back