Picking Up Players And The "Bottom" Of The Roster

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
OFFENSE
1) Barker has been an extra player while we have had 3 injuries on the OL. He can be waived now, and probably go back to the Practice Squad.
2) If we pick up anyone else, it is likely to be a replacement of someone presently on the roster (RB or WR?).
3) We could go down to 8 OL's if everyone were at 100%. I don't see that happening.
4) My bottom line is that we always look for upgrades, but that there is no urgent need for an addition.

DEFENSE
1) We could use a DE, a LB and a DT (especially if Easley is to play some DE).
2) For me, the bottom of the defensive roster is Butler, #6 S, and the #5 S.
3) Harmon/Wilson are the backup to Chung and play often on passing downs (41% of the defensive reps), so for me the four position safeties are set.
4) Ebner has been injured, and has played dime back. With all the corners back, Arrington or Ryan can fill this role. If Ebner stays, it is for special teams.
5) Jones is our #6 safety and doesn't play on defense. However, he plays on almost 48% of the special team reps so far this year.

BOTTOM LINE
If Branch or someone else is ready to sign, I suspect that Barker will go. After that, my guess is Butler. Both Ebner and Jones are key special teamers, but we may end up cutting one of them.

Last edited:
good post, all makes sense to me. I'm very curious to see how all of these injuries play out. I wonder if Ayers will be good to go or need some time.

good post, all makes sense to me. I'm very curious to see how all of these injuries play out. I wonder if Ayers will be good to go or need some time.
I suspect that Ayers will be eased into the rotation. He doesn't know our schemes and has been injured. I hope to see significant reps after the bye week.

I saw the title, with the word "bottom" in quotes, and I thought this was going to be a Michael Sam thread.

Ok, JR, what's with the dislike on THAT post?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back