Welcome to PatsFans.com

Picking the Best Leader

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by maverick4, Oct 8, 2008.

1. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

One aspect that troubles me about elections and how people vote is, are most people voting for who they think is the best leader/thinker, or who is most like them?

Why is it the most important thing for some people is that the candidate has the same religion as you, or talks the same way, or has the same skin color?

This example is not related to this election, but what if you had a complete moron who connected with the masses but failed at everything he ever did, running up against a more hermit strategic thinker type of guy, maybe of a different religion or skin color, but who had phenomenal success in every level of activity he had ever been in over decades.

Would most of America be happy with a moron they identified with and felt was most similar to them, even if it meant the country was being run into the ground? Do their values trump anything, even performance and ability?

And in today's world where so many people are influenced by mass media and group-think, doesn't the lack of independent thought result in the breakdown of true democracy? You can't have real democracy if the public is not educated and critical - at some point the system breaks down if too many people are idiots.
  2. Michael

Michael Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

I subscribe to no religion so that doesn't matter to me. I don't know why you refer to Obama as a moron. He's not a genius but, by no means a moron. If you want to attack him there are many things to attack him on.
  3. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

Where in that post did I reference any politician? Why are you so myopic in thinking that you can't get off partisan mentality for one second? I don't think you even understand what I am talking about, all you are looking for is keywords and thinking how it fits into your simply phrases you've memorized.

On the religion thing, if you had a Christian who was a complete moron but another candidate who was one of the most capable people in the world in whatever field but he was Mormon or Muslim, why is that such a big factor for so many Americans? Would America be content with their country being run into the ground, over putting someone in office who makes them a little uncomfortable?

Here is an example, since you're level of thinking is too clouded unless I use a GOP example. Why was McCain chosen over Romney? Both have flipped on a bunch of issues so it's not like McCain has an edge over there. Romney is by far the more qualified individual from his entire life's work in whatever he's been in. Basically, he wasn't chosen because he was Mormon. Why do Americans value who is like them more than who would do a better job? This kind of thinking will destroy the country, if it hasn't already.
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2008
  4. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign On the Roster

Ratings:
    +375 / 3 / -15

We already tried this with George W...so we know it's the wrong path for America to go down
  5. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

6. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +657 / 2 / -9

The "Moron" won, twice.

Romney was rejected because of his religion, he is a Mormon and not one word was uttered about "Bigotry" try rejecting a "Muslim" because of their religion-----------:singing:
  7. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

Does that not bother you that a less capable person emerged from the selection process, simply due to bigotry over religion?

In comparing those two individuals, Romney is hands down more intelligent and capable, yet simply due to his religion he fell out of the running. There is something very wrong about the system, when what it ends up producing is someone who is most like the common man, regardless of ability or competence.
  8. weswelker#83

weswelker#83 Rookie

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0

You absolutely right,and the country lost twice. Big time Loss , that your kids of your kids will still talk about it for decades.
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2008
  9. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

Barack Obama 'pseudo controversies' hide racism, news anchor says - Grand Rapids News - The Grand Rapids Press Online - Michigan Newspaper - MLive.com

["What makes John McCain plausible is Barack Obama," news anchor Ray Suarez told a local crowd Wednesday. The "pseudo controversies" about Obama's background are symbols for a "racial calculus" hard at work in U.S. politics.

Opinions about Obama's inexperience, his childhood in Indonesia, and the persistent but untrue rumors of him being Muslim are stand-ins for something his detractors cannot admit, Suarez said. Particularly, "religion has become a proxy for race," he said.

Characterizing Obama as Muslim "is a way to confer otherness on him for those people who are uncomfortable saying they're against him because he's black." Suarez spoke at Fountain Street Church as part of the Diversity lecture series. He is the senior correspondent for PBS's "News Hour with Jim Lehrer" and former host of NPR's "Talk of the Nation" program.]
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2008
  10. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +509 / 6 / -2

Cuz it's a free country, and fortunately, or unfortunately, depending on your POV, people can vote any way they want to. They can vote for the white guy, the black guy, the catholic guy, the jewish guy, the good looking guy, the good looking girl, their fellow Bay Stater, their allumnus, their fellow Irishman, their populist, their conservative, their liberal, their moderate, their lesser of two evils, the more experienced candidate, the change operative, the maverick, the reformer, the pro-life candidate, the pro-choice candidate, the Redsox fan, the veteran, the intellectual, their joe six pack, the hockey mom, the patriot, the globalist, the isolationist, the Amnesty lover, the border sealer, the person who they "just" like better, or against the person they like less.
  11. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +657 / 2 / -9

It sure does bother me, as soon as I heard Romney was out and the Old Closet Democrat (mccain) was in I had no intention of voting, but since Sarah came came charging out of the snowbanks of Alaska I may now cast my vote because I see her as the first Female president someday.
    My Choice for President was Mitt Romney but Racism & Bigotry raised it's ugly head and destroyed his chances, I am called racist many times on here because of my disgust at the "Double Standard" well, here it is again, a decent man Rejected Because Of His Religion and not one word of anger from the Far Left Wing Liberals who are always Preaching Freedom & Diversity.
    F-cking Double Standard Phony Racist Bastards.

Liberal Democrat Philosophy:
    Muslim-------Good
    Mormon------Very Bad And Dangerous (mormons don't cut heads off)

Romney is a White Conservative Republican Mormon therefore to the PHONY liberal he is no f-cking good, the Republican Party caved in to the dirty Left Wing Bastards, now they will pay "By Losing"
  12. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +227 / 8 / -13

I'm voting against the communist no good choices here.
  13. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +657 / 2 / -9

I to will vote if only to vote against the "Tin God" The Holy Messiah that we don't know a damn thing about, a mans past, a mans friends and a mans character mean everything when you are electing a man to the most Powerful Job In the world, we know nothing of this New American Rock Star, NOTHING, after he is elected, it will be to late.

Mind Boggling, is it not.

GOD DAMN AMERICA (obama pastor who christened a presidents children)--:confused:

REJECT OBAMA A DANGEROUS MYSTERIOUS THREAT TO AMERICA HE SHOULDN'T EVEN BE IN THE SENATE.

GOD DAMN AMERICA
  14. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

Democrats target voters who think race is an issue - CNN.com

[McEntee is president of the American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees and a leader in the AFL-CIO's $200 million 2008 election program. Speaking at a labor rally in Ohio recently, his frustration about the reluctance, or refusal, of some white union members to support Obama spilled into the open.

"When it gets real bad, and they never -- with this one -- look you in the eye, 'Well, I can't vote for him,' " McEntee told the diverse union audience. "This doesn't even come out in code -- it comes out like this: 'I can't vote for him because he is a black man. He's not one of us.' Well, sisters and brothers, when you hear that, you know what you ought to say? This is what I say: 'That is bull----! That is total, absolute bull----!' "

The AFL-CIO says its campaign will include 70 million phone calls to union households in key presidential and congressional battleground areas, as well as 25 million mail pieces. Some of those rebut persistent but false rumors that Obama isn't a Christian, or wasn't born in the United States -- or was sworn in to the U.S. Senate with his hand on a Quran, not a Bible. (The mailing shows Obama being sworn in by Vice President Cheney, his hand on a Bible.)

That those rumors persist so close to Election Day frustrates the Obama campaign and its allies. "You go and you talk to a member -- I've talked to some -- 'Do you support Barack Obama? You know his record, his record is good for working men and women,"' McEntee relates. The member might answer, "'Gerry, I know, I like you, but he's a Muslim. Barack Obama is a Muslim,' " McEntee says. "But he's not even a Muslim; he's a Christian!"]
  15. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

By the way, I truly am not trying to make this a pro-Obama thread. If Ron Paul was still in it I'd vote for him. I posted the above article because it talks about those not voting for someone simply based on skin color or religion.