PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pickgate...

Status
Not open for further replies.
ESPN can cry more.

giphy.gif

Don't care.

So ESPN has been on us today and been complaining about how our receivers like to pick players....
Why is this even a story? This happens to every team!

No team brings more publicity, and attention, to the national stage, especially when it comes to drawing the whining moths to the flame. That's why.

We dont need pick plays but I wish we would stop running them for Amendola. Dating back to last year we have seen that Danny doesnt have the foot speed without pa or double moves etc to ever have even just a step on someone deep. So him wide open is a dead giveaway and like 90% of the time it is flagged. Brady doesnt even throw deep often or to Amendola for that matter but we have one game against the Cowboys where we run a pick that isnt flagged and somehow get portrayed as pick masters. lol

No one complains about Manning doing it for years. Rewatch the 2013 afccg and see that they did it much more than that WES/Talib collision. Their first td drive had a blatant pick on ryan on 3rd down and he was called for holding for attempting to grab jersey but he couldnt because a guy ran into him lol.

Plus the no call on edelmans td was karma for the bogus holding call on Sheard when he jammed Witten. If Weeden didnt suck they may have scored after that.

No team brings more publicity, and attention, to the national stage, especially when it comes to drawing the whining moths to the flame. That's why.

I really don't think this could be said any better.

I don't know how much analysis I saw of the Butler interception. That play was supposed to be a pick play, but Browner prevented the receiver from executing.

Somehow the "unfair!!!! Pick play" issue was never an issue.

Selective outrage I guess.

Last edited:
Anything the Pats start to do too well will either be the subject of an inquisition and / or a rule change.

It's like the threat of rain. You can't stop it from happening even when you know it's coming. Just buckle up, tie down the furniture, put your head into the wind and carry on.

And people wondered why we were quick to jump on the cell phone/armband brigade. Taste of everyone's own medicine

We dont need pick plays but I wish we would stop running them for Amendola. Dating back to last year we have seen that Danny doesnt have the foot speed without pa or double moves etc to ever have even just a step on someone deep. So him wide open is a dead giveaway and like 90% of the time it is flagged. Brady doesnt even throw deep often or to Amendola for that matter but we have one game against the Cowboys where we run a pick that isnt flagged and somehow get portrayed as pick masters. lol

No one complains about Manning doing it for years. Rewatch the 2013 afccg and see that they did it much more than that WES/Talib collision. Their first td drive had a blatant pick on ryan on 3rd down and he was called for holding for attempting to grab jersey but he couldnt because a guy ran into him lol.

Plus the no call on edelmans td was karma for the bogus holding call on Sheard when he jammed Witten. If Weeden didnt suck they may have scored after that.

The reason why there was no call on Edelman's TD was because the defender flat-out fell down on his own when Jules juked him out of his shoes. That wasn't a pick play.

The reason why there was no call on Edelman's TD was because the defender flat-out fell down on his own when Jules juked him out of his shoes. That wasn't a pick play.

You must be thinking of a different play. A defender did fall down trying to tackle Edelman, but that wasn't the defender that appeared to get picked off by Amendola.

Btw, wasn't it a great move by Amendola to throw his hands in the air on this play? The refs knew he didn't do anything then! :D

You must be thinking of a different play. A defender did fall down trying to tackle Edelman, but that wasn't the defender that appeared to get picked off by Amendola.

Btw, wasn't it a great move by Amendola to throw his hands in the air on this play? The refs knew he didn't do anything then! :D

You're right. It looks like in that case they had three guys covering 'Dola. I suppose Danny was able to hold up all three?

Yep, this has been building since last year, expect the chorus to get louder. The league, ESPN, and opposing fans don't really seem happy anymore unless there's something about the Patriots to complain about. This is definitely next in line.

I've even noticed it with announcers, and I pretty much NEVER care about announcers (they all seem fine to me, I just never really pay attention). But in replays, I noticed Simms (and Collingsworth has done this) saying, "the Pats ran a pick play there," or "there's the pick...or the rub, or whatever you want to call it..."

Someone else suggested that there will be a rule change as soon as Manning retires, which definitely wouldn't shock. It's an offense-happy league, I think that's the only thing that would stop them.

It is interesting seeing how differently it's covered from team to team. The Chargers ran a ton of pick plays last night, but none of them were flagged and the announcers only mentioned them in passing without ever so much as suggesting that they're illegal.

Seems like one of those things where reputation trumps reality, and the Pats have the reputation because people like finding new reasons to minimize their success.

It's now my biggest concern from officials, "the arbitrary OPI call". There is no reason for it, but it happens anyway. Call it when it happens...but.... All a defender needs to do vs the Pats is to run directly into a receiver and the receiver gets called.

My problem is that that every team runs dozens of "pick routes", yet only the Patriots seem to have it called 3 times a game. The officials seem to be prepared in advance to make this call, and recently for no apparent reason, other than the defender didn't get a complete right of way. It is like we are the only team that runs pick plays and I'm getting tired of it. Call it when it happens, but NOT when it just "looked" like something happened

Right now it doesn't seem like a big deal, but it is when the other team isn't called for the flag, and you get get it dropped when your receiver has a perfect right to the same spot as the defender.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes