PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pick this year's "surprise teams"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Colts down
Cards up.
Browns take a step forward.
Pitt struggles.

What about the Giants? What are the impressions out there on the progress of the other Manning, defensive additions, and Coughlin?

The team has a good core of high-quality players. Eli shows signs of becoming a quality quarterback, even if you just what to smack him when you see him. Defense has been upgraded, at least on paper. Coughlin has success building franchises, yet seems to always inspire mutiny.

What are some prognostications on the Giants?

zarakotas5 said:
What about the Giants? What are the impressions out there on the progress of the other Manning, defensive additions, and Coughlin?

The team has a good core of high-quality players. Eli shows signs of becoming a quality quarterback, even if you just what to smack him when you see him. Defense has been upgraded, at least on paper. Coughlin has success building franchises, yet seems to always inspire mutiny.

I think that the NFC East will be the most interesting division in football this coming season. All four teams have strengths -- and doubts. I would not be surprised if any one of them won the division or if any two went to the play-offs. If the Giants can come through -- well, why not? But they don't have any easy divisional games.

(Having read this thread, I'll make another prediction: this is going to be a season with few big surprises.

I think that saying that Pittsburgh or the Colts will collapse is -- barring really serious injuries -- wishful thinking. Anything can happen, but I wouldn't put any money on Arizona or Detroit coming up. I'll stick with the Eagles and the Fins as the teams most likely to make the play-offs who didn't last time. But, frankly, how big a surprise would that be?)

Arizona has a very interesting offense, at least. In all honesty, I'm rooting for them. If Leinhart can come though next year (including week 10+), they have everything on paper to be the next greatest show on turf, or whatever the h8ll they have now. I think this draft was a coup for them, and as a fan, I relate that franchise to historically inept Pats.

Excuse me whilst I don my flak jacket...

"Surprise" team: Baltimore.

"Collapse" team: Denver

San Diego will likely take a step back also, while Cleveland will be better than expected.

zarakotas5 said:

They blow very badly. Even if they are a good teeam, they still blow. They always have blown and they always will blow.

#1 on my "teams to hate" list.

My picks:

Playoff teams that collapse: Seattle, Denver

Teams that get in: Philly, Baltimore

Last year, I thought SD would be the collapse and KC the big riser. I had the right direction -- SD did go down and KC up, but not nearly the magnitude.

Pitt falls. The Roethlisberger situation, along with losing Randle-El and drafting Holmes, who might be playing in a jailhouse league by the time the season starts will effect the offense, along with losing Bettis to spell Parker in short yardage.

I think Baltimore rises. Reed and Lewis healthy, espically Reed being one of the best defensive players in the league when he was healthy 2 years ago,along with Billick finally having a real QB in McNair and McNair and Mason reunited will make the Ravens offense finally more than a three yards and a cloud of dust old school ground and pound with Lewis. Speaking of the run game, they have a nice two headed monster in Lewis and Anderson, even though they can be considered the same type of power back.

In the NFC, Arizona is the team on the rise. They drafted a couple of decent o-lineman, and Edge will add the running game to an offense with two of the top WRs in the game, and if Warner gets down, I think Leinart can step in and do a good enough job with these weapons.

Team on the downfall, I say the Bears. The Bears a few years ago had a great year then fell off, I see a repeat again.

To surprise, put me down for

Jets
Giants

(No, I don't like New York either!)

To do better than expected:

Denver (even though they drafted for the long haul)
Cincinnati (not sure why so many think they've peaked.)

To underperform:

Chicago
Arizona

To be every bit as good as predicted:

Carolina

Surprise teams: Oakland and Arizona

Neither to go far in the playoffs, in fact they both probably won't even qualify for them, but they will be in wildcard contention late in the season.

Brooks is a good fit for the Oakland's pass-happy offense, with Moss, if he stays healthy, reverting back to Probowl form. Jordan is a top 10/15 RB. The defense should improve with the additions of Huff, Poole, and Robert Thomas. Sapp is motivated, and Art Shell is one of the better coaches in the league. Look for a turnaround from this team.

Arizona's progress has been better documented than Oakland's. They're moving into a magnificent stadium with a new franchise QB and RB. Boldin, Fitzgerald, Bryant Johnson, and Leonard Pope are four solid receivers for the savvy Leinart. They already had an underrated defense, with Wilson and Bertrand Berry amongst others. They can win the NFC West if the current trend of Superbowl losers spiraling downwards the following year continues, as certainly the 49ers and Rams are in no condition to make the playoffs.

It's easier to predict teams that won't match the previous season's production. I don't think Chicago or the New York Giants will do as good, and ultimately neither will Pittsburgh or Seattle.

Last edited by a moderator:
shakadave said:
To surprise, put me down for

Jets
Giants

(No, I don't like New York either!)

To do better than expected:

Denver (even though they drafted for the long haul)
Cincinnati (not sure why so many think they've peaked.)

To underperform:

Chicago
Arizona

To be every bit as good as predicted:

Carolina

Bump to gloat over my Jets and Giants predictions. (But don't look at my Chicago --- aggh!)

onegameatatime said:
My picks:

Playoff teams that collapse: Seattle, Denver

Teams that get in: Philly, Baltimore

Last year, I thought SD would be the collapse and KC the big riser. I had the right direction -- SD did go down and KC up, but not nearly the magnitude.

Seattle still might tank, and Baltimore and Philly are possible playoff teams.

That Denver going down prediction is lookin' really bad!

At this point, you'd have to say that New Orleans has been the upside surprise team (never would have guessed that!), and Chicago to some extent.

Miami and maybe Pittsburgh are looking like downside surprises (not that I thought Miami would be great, but not this bad).

New Orleans Saints will be good i think

The titans will be bad
The dolphins will be terrible
The Bears will go undefeated well into the season
The cardinals will suck
the raiders will suck

The pats will be really good
The Broncos will be really good
The colts will be pretty good

Hassleback might get injured, i have a feeling

The chargers will be good but Merrimam might be on steroids... who knows

Lets see how these picks pan out...

Keegs said:

The titans will be bad
The cardinals will suck
the raiders will suck

Look at this!!!!

Every single one of these predictions was Correct!!

I did that like 2 months ago..

I know my football.... Digger44 wouldn't have guessed half of these.

Keegs said:

Look at this!!!!

Holy crap. Keegs just made me laugh.

patchick said:
Holy crap. Keegs just made me laugh.

Yes, it happens, though it's a bit like a blind machine-gunner occasionally shooting a squirrel ...

Keegs said:
Look at this!!!!

Keegs,

I must hand you the prize. Your predictions (plural) have all turned out to be spot on. I only wishI was as accurate.

The King is dead. Long live the Keegs er King !!

Keegs said:

The titans will be bad
The cardinals will suck
the raiders will suck

Damn, that's uncanny. Unfortunately, someone has broken into your account and made it look as if you posted it today at 0332 GMT. :D You gave me a laugh as well, btw!

Mike the Brit said:
Yes, it happens, though it's a bit like a blind machine-gunner occasionally shooting a squirrel ...
nice analogy.

I hate squirrels too..

Seymour93 said:
Surprise teams: Oakland and Arizona

Neither to go far in the playoffs, in fact they both probably won't even qualify for them, but they will be in wildcard contention late in the season.

Brooks is a good fit for the Oakland's pass-happy offense, with Moss, if he stays healthy, reverting back to Probowl form. Jordan is a top 10/15 RB. The defense should improve with the additions of Huff, Poole, and Robert Thomas. Sapp is motivated, and Art Shell is one of the better coaches in the league. Look for a turnaround from this team.

Arizona's progress has been better documented than Oakland's. They're moving into a magnificent stadium with a new franchise QB and RB. Boldin, Fitzgerald, Bryant Johnson, and Leonard Pope are four solid receivers for the savvy Leinart. They already had an underrated defense, with Wilson and Bertrand Berry amongst others. They can win the NFC West if the current trend of Superbowl losers spiraling downwards the following year continues, as certainly the 49ers and Rams are in no condition to make the playoffs.

It's easier to predict teams that won't match the previous season's production. I don't think Chicago or the New York Giants will do as good, and ultimately neither will Pittsburgh or Seattle.

I'm glad I wasn't in Vegas at the time I made the post above. :bricks:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back