Reaction score
Who has a better backup?

Brady or Romo?

Would you rather have

Brad Johnson or Matt Cassel?

How'd Huard do today? :)

Random PatsFan "Whah! Whah! We need a vet! WHAH!!!"

Last edited:
Not many folks seem to want to go on record on this one.

Brad Johnson is a VET!

ok fine, there are only 44 QBs better than Cassel in the NFL.

I put my neck out and say Brad Johnson. He had an awful game but he has a record on which you can judge him. Matt Cassel hasn't one and so far he hasn't shown anything but mediocrisy. Brad Johnson may have just had a bad game.

Johnson has over 28,800 career passing yards. Today was his first start in 17 games and he was lit up. Let's look at this fairly. Who would you have been more comfortable with having as Brady's back up for 4 years; Johnson or Cassel?

There aren't many starting QBs in the league that could fill Brady's shoes never mind back ups. The Pats aren't going to win because of Cassel, but they don't have to lose because of him either. It's about time the rest of the team removes the weight from Cassel's back, puts it on their own and starts playing better.

I put my neck out and say Brad Johnson. He had an awful game but he has a record on which you can judge him. Matt Cassel hasn't one and so far he hasn't shown anything but mediocrisy. Brad Johnson may have just had a bad game.

Is one bad game the limit before you call a guy "teh sucks"?

:rolleyes:

Brad is 38 and obviously was rusty - Lets see what he does next week before we compare a high schooler to a veteran.

Cassel has not had a good game against a good team yet so lets not get all high and mighty around here - Cassel is 0-1 against a good team
- KC and SF are not good teams and the Jets lost to Oakland today which shows how good they are :rolleyes:....

Buffalo and Pittsburgh are coming up and Indy should be better by time they face them,Maybe Cassel will grow a set of balls by then and not have the deer in headlights look on 3rd and long or 3rd and goal

Brad is 38 and obviously was rusty - Lets see what he does next week before we compare a high schooler to a veteran.

Yet another alleged Patriots fan who eschews actually winning games

Yet another alleged Patriots fan who eschews actually winning games

Been a Patriots fan through 1-15 seasons so don't tell me something you have no clue about

I have been a fan for 33 years - You were probably in diapers,in the womb or not even thought of at that time of the lean years,so don't analyze when you have no clue what you are talking about.

Cassel has shown NOTHING against a good team as of now to say he is worthy of being an NFL QB in this league and you have absolutely NOTHING to defend that until he does - Like I said Kansas City and San Franscisco suck BAD and Lamont Jordan and the defense won the game against the Jets - Cassel has managed games O.K. when the team has won 3 but did little to actually be a main reason why they won.

Brad Johnson has a Super Bowl title as QB - Cassel has a ring too...but unfortunately its from his high school graduation

Last edited:
Brad Johnson has a Super Bowl title as QB - Cassel has a ring too...but unfortunately its from his high school graduation

Yes Johnson has a ring, which he won when Cassel was still in high school, but he is way past his prime. Dan Marino and Joe Montana were great QBs but neither could win a football game TODAY.

Last edited:
Been a Patriots fan through 1-15 seasons so don't tell me something you have no clue about

I have been a fan for 33 years - You were probably in diapers,in the womb or not even thought of at that time of the lean years,so don't analyze when you have no clue what you are talking about.

Cassel has shown NOTHING against a good team as of now to say he is worthy of being an NFL QB in this league and you have absolutely NOTHING to defend that until he does - Like I said Kansas City and San Franscisco suck BAD and Lamont Jordan and the defense won the game against the Jets - Cassel has managed games O.K. when the team has won 3 but did little to actually be a main reason why they won.

He won that ring six years ago. And he's 40 now. At 38 he was done as a starter with 9 TD's and 15 INTS and 36 sacks in 14 starts...

Cassel is worthy of being an NFL QB in this league because BB says he is. What you say is meaningless... In the KC game he was a main reason they won throwing a 50 yard bomb to Moss while pinned against the EZ and then throwing a TD pass to Moss in the EZ - we won the damn game by 7 and he had a 116 QB rating on the day Tom Brady went down for the season. Against the JETS on the road he led 5 scoring drives and didn't turn over the ball. Against SF he threw a 66 yard TD pass to Moss and led an offense that compiled over 300 yards and 30 points...

33 years of whining, no doubt. Brady had shown nothing against a good team at this point in his career. Go back into your cave and let this team play football.

The following players were backups to start the season, and played this weekend.

Seneca Wallace
Ryan Fitzpatrick
Gus Frerotte
Dan Orlovsky
Brad Johnson
Damon Huard

Once the Tampa/Seattle game goes final, the backups will have gone 0-6 on the weekend. This will, of course, be completely ignored if the Patriots should lose, or even struggle, tomorrow.

Im leaning slightly toward Johnson because I watched him play here (in Minnesota) in 2006, so i saw him actually succeed, at least more so than Cassel has so far. Johnson seemed to be better leader for the Vikings than Cassel is for the Patriots.

I'll take Cassel, if for no other reason than I believe Brad Johnson turned 87 years old last Tuesday. At least he runs like he's that old.

Right now, for the Pats, I would take Cassel. Brad Johnson ten years ago is another story.

The following players were backups to start the season, and played this weekend.

Seneca Wallace
Ryan Fitzpatrick
Gus Frerotte
Dan Orlovsky
Brad Johnson
Damon Huard

Once the Tampa/Seattle game goes final, the backups will have gone 0-6 on the weekend. This will, of course, be completely ignored if the Patriots should lose, or even struggle, tomorrow.

Actually I think the Patriots WILL win tomorrow

For the simple reason is I don't see a team with veterans who are proud of thier careers to be embarrassed for a 2nd week in a row in prime time

So it will be more of a surprise if they lose tomorrow - I expect a win albeit a close one

It's actually a really interesting point. As far as veteran backups go, Brad Johnson is about as good as you're going to get. So you stick him in there against a shaky (though improving) team with tremendous weapons at his disposal and he is horrid.

Just putting aside who fits what system, if you were ranking backup QBs at the beginning of the season I would think that Brad Johnson would be up near the top of the list.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots