PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PI Call

Status
Not open for further replies.

sarge

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
Reaction score
I never saw it. Is anyone able to youtube it?

Miami fans are crying that they win without that call.

I have tried explaining kindergarden math to them, but they still don't get it.

Even if the Pats don't get the PI, they get the FG and are kneeling on the ball with 1st and goal with a six point lead.

If they miss the FG, trhey are kneeling with a 3 point lead.

Regardless, I would still love to see this questionable call.

Looked good to me. He never looked back for the ball.

The problem was that the Defender ran into the Pats Player (Gabriel). It was a CLEAR case of pass interference. Much more so than the one they called on the Pats earlier in the game.

That was a good call, and Dolphins fans are dumb for whining, but like I said in another thread, I still don't like how the ball is placed on the 1 yard line when the contact wasn't intentional. Allen played the ball poorly and deserved to be flagged, but unless he intentionally interferes to prevent a TD, why not make it a 15 yarder instead?

Its one rule I'd like to see them look at, but they won't, since every rule has to help the offense by design.

No one is able to youtube it?

When you don't turn around and give at least a cursory glance at the incoming ball, the threshold for PI becomes very, very low in the Ref's minds. That is universally true in the NFL.
The whole PI thing is a problem imho. From one play to the next is a total crapshoot as to what will be called. Indy versus the Jets last week is a good example. In the fourth quarter, they went to Wayne (I think it was Wayne) one on one deep. First result incomplete. Definite measured amount of pushing and hand checking going on by both the receiver and the defender. Next play, same exact play to Wayne in the same spot with the same throw with the same defender. A measured amount of hand checking, initiated by the Receiver first, and pushing occuring. This time it results in a first and goal at the 4 for Indy. My gut tells me if the flag wasn't thrown on the second one, just do the same play agian. The third time would have been the for sure PI one. My problem with that is it would have been 3 plays played almost the same way by both players on all 3 plays. Worse part is WR's are hand checking often and getting away with what the defender cannot. The whole PI thing worries me every time a passing play occurs.

But that didn't look doubtful to me -- the DB pushed the receiver in the back, the only possible justification would have been that it was incidental to his trying to catch the ball, but the fact that he didn't look back negates that. So it looked about as clear as you would wish.

Of course, the Fins fans will moan about it. What better would you expect from them?

Bump,

Anyone who can youtube the replay, it would be greatly appreciated

saw saban's press conf bit...he was visibly pissed...

SVN said:
saw saban's press conf bit...he was visibly pissed...

What a toolbox, I can't believe he was even pissed about that call, it was so blatant. Maybe he should get a little more pissed about the fact that his QB threw two picks, his RB coughed up a fumble, and his punter couldn't handle a moderately high snap.

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just saw the replay on the Sunday night pregame on NBC.

It wasn't even questionable!

It was obvious!

What a joke!

I generally sympathize with the defenders and think PI is overcalled. But this did not seem like a really close case -- pretty clear-cut.

The idea that you subtract 7 from 20 and the Pats still win is wrong too, however. A bad call changes the whole game, not just the score. In this case, there was no bad call on the PI.

It was a no-brainer PI call. The defender never turned back towards the ball, and he didn't slow down along with the receiver, so he ended up running into him as well.

onegameatatime said:
The idea that you subtract 7 from 20 and the Pats still win is wrong too, however. A bad call changes the whole game, not just the score. In this case, there was no bad call on the PI.

I see your point, however most people generally assume the dynamic of the game would strictly work in there favor.

That call isn't made and the Pats very well may have won by more.

But that was not even remotely questionable. IT was clearcut!

I have no idea why this is drawing so much flack???? The defender didn't turn around and ran into Gabriel pushing him back 3-4 yards. While he was pushing him (pushed him by running into him) he swung his head around a little bit, but by then the ball was already there. Even Dierdorf said it was obvious. Memo to fins fans; just becuase it's a crucial play in the game , doesn't mean the refs put the flags away. Look at the Dallas game---a prayer pass was answered by a PI call. (a good call, but no where near as flagrant as the miami one) The eagles don't wine and complain about it, they get an INT and win the game. (although bledsoe should be shot for making that throw)

I think the ONLY people complaining about this one are Dolphin fans. The fact that they are complaining so zealously and thinking they would have won without it just sorts of fits right in with the delusions they have been under since the beginning of the season.

Allen turned his head around just a bit before the ball got there but he'd already run into Gabriel and he was in no position to make a play on theball with all of his body but his head in the wrong direction. That's what I saw. I taped some of the game and was just going to tape over it instead of watching it because it wasn't a very well played game. Maybe I'll look afterall although they didn't eveb show it that well on the replay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes