PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Physics department chair at BC: weather alone could easily deflate ball from 12.5 to 10.5 psi

Status
Not open for further replies.

BradyFTW!

Goodell sucks
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Last edited:
No. Nope. No f way.

Sarcasm

I'm still thinking they inflated the balls to a legal level with extra warm air (nothing against that in the rules) and let nature take it's course.

I don't believe the Patriots could have done it while the balls were in the officials' locker room before the game. I don't believe the ball boys could do it on the sideline with 80,000 or so people in the stands and tons of video cameras.

This scenario really works. They would have inflated it per the rules. It would have passed the officials' test. It would have deflated some as it cooled.

I've sifted through so many physics equations these past few days I feel like I'm back in college.

Especially since the original professor from BC was the one who tried to debunk this theory.

WTF?

"BUT BUT BUT the colts balls were fine...the colts balls were fine...." thats all you hear.

Thats the point! Basic science says that both team balls should have dropped below the minimal amount but the Colts balls did not! Their balls were probably over-inflatted.

I don't know why this is so complicated. I think we have become a stupid nation. Not only this, but you can test the hypothesis very easily. All it takes is some balls by the NFL. Pun intended!

Last edited:
As for the Colts’ footballs being within the legal PSI range, Naughton has an easy explanation for that, too: If those balls were more inflated to begin with (maybe even above the legal maximum), they could have lost air pressure and still stayed above the minimum.
My explanation fits too, that the Colts inflated theirs with room temperature air but the Patriots inflated theirs with warmer air that would deflate more.

The only issue with my theory is it could result in unpredictable results if the temperature is not what they expect which could be risky and mess Brady up.

Here is the problem.
No news organization will bother spouting the physics behind this as their target audience has walnuts for brains.
The average level of education of the majority of football fandom, Patriots fans excluded, is shockingly bad.

-Jamman

This is what I believe. Especially since the deflated balls were measured to be exactly 10.5 PSI. Those footballs were exposed to the exact same weather conditions, therefore the PSI afterwards measured exact.

If a human did the inflating, it's likely the PSI would be a little more inconsistent.

I'm still thinking they inflated the balls to a legal level with extra warm air (nothing against that in the rules) and let nature take it's course.

I don't believe the Patriots could have done it while the balls were in the officials' locker room before the game. I don't believe the ball boys could do it on the sideline with 80,000 or so people in the stands and tons of video cameras.

This scenario really works. They would have inflated it per the rules. It would have passed the officials' test. It would have deflated some as it cooled.
I'm thinking the refs gave the balls the squeeze test pregame ...

I don't know why this is so complicated. I think we have become a stupid nation. Not only this, but you can test the hypothesis very easily. All it takes is some balls by the NFL. Pun intended!

We have become a spoon-fed society that abdicates its ability to question the questionable.

I'm thinking the refs gave the balls the squeeze test pregame ...
That's the other possibility. Pull the Rodgers "see if the refs catch us, no harm no foul if they do" routine, inflate to, say 12.0, refs OK, weather brings down a little, say 11.5 and there you go.

I hope there is a protocol whch is required by the refs to list down all the PSI's of the balls they measure before game. Otherwise pats will be screwed if the refs say they used a gauge without supplying the readings...especially since Kraft doesnt seem to be in a combative mood to ask such a question. OTOH, the ref couldve just tested 1 and written down the same for all of them,

Brady should have said exactly what Rodgers said.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes