mikey

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
http://patriots.bostonherald.com/patriots/view.bg?articleid=154439

The art of throwing deep
By John Tomase
Boston Herald Sports Writer

Friday, August 25, 2006 - Updated: 06:17 AM EST

Tom Brady was asked about throwing downfield yesterday and offered an interesting peek into quarterbacking. He said the Patriots completed 9-of-37 deep passes last year.

“The idea when throwing deep is to get the ball to turn over,†he said. “You can tell the guys who are good at throwing the deep ball. When the ball (crests), it drops almost like it’s coming down on the receiver.

“When you say a ball sails, the trajectory is flat as it comes down. No matter how good you throw it, the ball has a trajectory the receiver can never catch up to.

“You need the ball to turn over, but it won’t if you don’t finish the throw. A lot of times when I was throwing it, I’d kind of stop my throwing motion and more or less guide the ball. Now I’m just throwing it, the ball turns over and drops, and hopefully, it drops into my receiver’s hands.

“There’s your dissertation on quarterbacking. Hopefully you guys larned something.â€

Tom Brady. What more can you say.

Remember the New Orleans game when Brady threw the same deep route to Andre Davis 7 times, connecting just once for a TD?

stinkypete said:
Tom Brady. What more can you say.

Remember the New Orleans game when Brady threw the same deep route to Andre Davis 7 times, connecting just once for a TD?

Yes, another reason we won't 'miss' Andre Davis' contribution this season. Added bonus - he's taking up a WR spot for AFCE rival Buffalo. A two-fer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes