PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Philly Inquirer: Pats may be willing to trade a TE for Feeley

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mike Lombardi did a chat at NFP today and was asked about a TE for Feeley trade with the Pats. His response was the Pats wouldn't take Feeley...

Did he expand on why, Mo?

Is this the same AJ Feeley that played for the Dolphins in 2003-2004 season ? I recall watching 3 games to glory and seeing Feeley being badly beaten up by the Patriots defense. There was one funny clip where one of Feeley's Dolphins teammates slapped him on the butt after the play and he jumps as if he's been shot in the back.

Same feeley.......not thrilled with the guy overall.....The only team he has really looked good against .....is US!!! He had one big game against us as I recall........

Smith for Feeley would be a steal for the patriots. Every one of us has the team cutting Smith next week. Of course, if there is interest in Smith, let the bidding begin. Personally, I don't think the interest is in Philly or perhaps anywhere.

My suspicion (as I indicated when we watched Philly play) is that Watson might be the guy to go to Philly. Perhaps we want Feeley, perhaps we want a draft pick.

No, but I'd guess it's his track record which some here seem to have lost sight of. He was never terribly talented, he lost his college starting job to Joey Harrington...drafted in the 5th round by the Eagles and they traded him away to Miami where he was abyssmal as a starter. Then after sitting for a year as a backup in SD the Eagles brought him back but he's never been more than a #3. As someone else said, in a system he was developed in. He's thrown for a total of 4000 yards IN HIS CAREER and has 2 more picks than TD's.

Same can be said for Walter productivity wise but he's closer to prototype (by 2") and he's 4 years younger and has had far less quality coaching and fewer opportunities so he may yet have some upside. He was a projected first rounder if not for a shoulder injury in his last game in college AND WE GOT HIM FOR NOTHING...

Last edited:
I dont even think a backup QB is a big deal(cassel was as pedestrian as anyone in the league), but I would give them Watson and Maroney for Feeley. Hell I'd trade those 2 underachievers for Mr. Mcfeely.

As long as he's on our team where, subsequently, he doesn't have to play against and torch us, than I'm fine with it. This sounds strange to say, but I don't think I've ever seen a QB consistently torch our defense like A.J. Feeley has everytime he has played us. :eek:

Hmm. That'll work for me.

Or trade Ben Watson to the Redskins for a very young WR. They have a glut. How about Devin Thomas, who had good size and is fast? In a year or two, we may not have many truly capable or game-changing WRs on this team.

Moss will retire at some point. Welker will continue taking big-time abuse. Who else is there a couple of years from now?

Sure we really need ANOTHER WR - Right now we have 3 young WRs in the program - Nunn, Edelman, and BRANDON TATE. Tate is the guy who has the physical skills (when healthy) to be an impact player. We won't see it until next year, but there is NO need to trade an asset for an embarrassment of riches. I want DLmen or LBs, or picks for any trade

Every one of us has the team cutting Smith next week.
Easy, cowboy, no speaking for anybody else. Just like not everyone of us was surprised when Cassel wasn't cut, not everyone thinks that Smith will be cut.

I for one don't think that SMith will be cut. He may or may not be traded, but if he isn't traded, I see him as making the 53.

Smith for Feeley straight-up would be kind of a steal, since the Pats will probably cut Smith anyway. If they have to send a 7th-rounder along with Smith for Feeley, that's fine by me.

How is it a steal when Feeley is likely to be cut also????

Watson, on the other hand, they should get Feeley AND a pick.
Trading Watson for Feeley and a Pick isn't enough. And it would be one of the worst trades of the Belichick era. Worse than the acquisition of Starks.

Hmm. That'll work for me.

Or trade Ben Watson to the Redskins for a very young WR. They have a glut. How about Devin Thomas, who had good size and is fast? In a year or two, we may not have many truly capable or game-changing WRs on this team.

Moss will retire at some point. Welker will continue taking big-time abuse. Who else is there a couple of years from now?

This is not a well thought out post by you. Not in the least bit. In fact, its a pretty ignorant one

1) Devin Thomas is one of their rising stars. They aren't trading him
2) Ben Watson is on the last year of his contract. So his worth isn't what you think it is.
3) Ben Watson, even being off the field, is a better player than Alex Smith has shown during his time here. Smith has slowly slid down the TE depth chart...
4) Brandon Tate wants to know why you are forgetting about him.. So do the rest of the Pats WRs. Particularly Edelman who thinks that you don't have any notion of the type of pounding Welker takes.

How is it a steal when Feeley is likely to be cut also????

Same way I feel. It's in both teams interest to at least get something they need since these guys are likely to be cut.
I hope we don't trade Watson because I dont believe Baker is better than him.

Easy, cowboy, no speaking for anybody else. Just like not everyone of us was surprised when Cassel wasn't cut, not everyone thinks that Smith will be cut.

I for one don't think that SMith will be cut. He may or may not be traded, but if he isn't traded, I see him as making the 53.

Why do you have Smith making the 53? He's been a horrible blocker, which he was supposed to be good at. He's not shown an ability to get out into routes.. And, well, in all honesty, I think that the Pats offense is too complex for him..

I hope that doesn't happen because I don't want to read the following headline in the papers the next day:

"Philadelphia's Feeley For Patriots Tight End"

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes