PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Phillip B. Anyone??

Status
Not open for further replies.

mavfan2390

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
Buchanon was released because of multiple injuries...he's young, and uber-talented, but injuries got the best of him, I'd love to grab him cheap and see if he can contribute next season...

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AoyfuN0HJp6TiMXZb9gdT19DubYF?slug=ap-texans-buchanonreleased&prov=ap&type=lgns

Texans release former first-round pick Buchanon
By KRISTIE RIEKEN, AP Sports Writer
October 16, 2006

HOUSTON (AP) -- Cornerback Phillip Buchanon was released by the Texans on Monday, ending his injury-filled and lackluster stay in Houston.

Buchanon, a first-round pick in 2002, was traded to Houston from Oakland before last season in exchange for second- and third-round picks in the 2006 draft.

Texans release Phillip Buchanon

rotoworld

Texans released CB Phillip Buchanon.
Buchanon, acquired from Oakland in exchange for two first-day picks in 2005, was unable to beat out journeymen corners Lewis Sanders and Dexter McCleon for playing time in Houston's secondary. He still has some punt return skills, so he could get another shot somewhere. Maybe Charley Casserly will get back in the league and hire him.

I wouldnt mind taking a chance at him. He'd be a better option than Faulk returning punts and could help out our secondary in certain situations

MrBigglesWorth said:
how many lousy players do you wanna pick up?

Lousy? He had 6 picks in his second season. His numbers are better then anyone we have. At least he can catch a damn ball thrown his way unlike our current lineup.

That would be a great pickup. Though the patriots never seem to pick up the sexy kind of player. I still believe Phillip falls under that category cause he was the man in college and a weapon in oakland. I already had him on my madden roster months ago and in my franchise he made the pro bowl second in interceptions to Geno.

MrTibbs said:
Lousy? He had 6 picks in his second season. His numbers are better then anyone we have. At least he can catch a damn ball thrown his way unlike our current lineup.
Yeah, he can give up a ton of TDs by dropping coverage to jump routes. Numbers look good, all right. Hurts the team, though.

Better than anything we have? Yeah, right. Like I really want guys that couldn't make it with Oakland or the Texans. Gimme Duane Starks back first.

yeah...the Texans have soooo much talent and depth that they simply couldn't afford a roster spot for the amazing buchanon...

sign him quick...:bricks:

MrBigglesWorth said:
how many lousy players do you wanna pick up?

And you probably thought Mike Vrabel was lousy when we signed him. Probably thought, big deal, who's this stiff ? You never ever know, sometimes just the gratitude of getting a chance makes a player turn around his career. Hundreds of players in the history of the NFL have had the shaky start Buchanon has had, some turn it around when given the chance. Never say never. For every David Terrell, there's a Mike Vrabel.

Yeah but he is a definite upgrade just cause how explosive he is on returns when he is healthy. We always say BB is the best coach is the business imagine what he could do with that raw talent. I'm sure it wouldn't hurt to try out who knows he could be the shutdown corner we been missing, and actually make a big play by not just catching the ball but running with it too. You can laugh at the idea but i'd be all for giving him a shot at making a difference he is still very young and probally hungry for success.

scott99 said:
And you probably thought Mike Vrabel was lousy when we signed him.

Not at all. The book on Vrabel is that he was a high-motor, talented guy stuck behind a logjam of superb linebackers in Pittsburgh. Remember, Belichick picked him up as a restricted free agent and pretty much knew he was getting an up 'n coming young 3-4 LB/DE type player who would be a contributor with the Patriots.

scott99 said:
And you probably thought Mike Vrabel was lousy when we signed him. Probably thought, big deal, who's this stiff ? You never ever know, sometimes just the gratitude of getting a chance makes a player turn around his career. Hundreds of players in the history of the NFL have had the shaky start Buchanon has had, some turn it around when given the chance. Never say never. For every David Terrell, there's a Mike Vrabel.

and for every Mike Vrabel there is a Rodney Bailey

MrTibbs said:
yeah that's why oakland traded him and he's being released. this is a re-birth of the ahmad carrol threads. think about it...the texans are lousy and they dropped him.

he doesn't know the defensive scheme which is complex and you're gonna throw him into the lineup.

i say give willie andrews a chance at returning punts

hwc said:
Not at all. The book on Vrabel is that he was a high-motor, talented guy stuck behind a logjam of superb linebackers in Pittsburgh. Remember, Belichick picked him up as a restricted free agent and pretty much knew he was getting an up 'n coming young 3-4 LB/DE type player who would be a contributor with the Patriots.

Oh, I see !! And Buchanon has absolutely NO talent ? Please, get over yourself. I'm sure, like most Pats fans, you were saying Mike Vrabel ? The only reason I remember Vrabel is because I was watching Andy Katzenmoyer in 1999 and hoping we drafted him. That's another story, be careful what you wish for....lol. Ahhh, what might've been, actually turned out ok, because Bruschi went to the middle. I really thought Katzenmoyer was going to be the player Urlacher turned out to be.

scott99 said:
i totally do not agree with that. there are far more busts than stories that work out.

i do not agree for every david terrell there is a mike vrabel. look how many get rister spots versus how many get cut.

I do agree therie are more busts then booms, beisel was constantly compared to the vrabel pickup. but his punt returns alone may be worth looking at. But the open roster spot is going to Moss anyways ;)

anyone else notice there have been raider advertisements with a buchanon jersey on it.

R_T26 said:
anyone else notice there have been raider advertisements with a buchanon jersey on it.

didn't notice, but i suspect that it is simply a case in which stock footage was used

He had 6 picks in 2002 because no one threw to Woodson's side. When healthy, he has excellent speed and great ball skills. Hes certainly not mr. run support. Rumor is that he also has an oversized attitude. The fact remains that BB must like his depth in the secondary by letting Poteat go. I'm still weirded out by BB keeping Pass on the PUP. He seemed to inference that he was healthy. Whos gonna get the 53rd roster spot then?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back