PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Philadelphia Inquirer article on Stallworth

Status
Not open for further replies.

He was the Saints' top draft pick in '02(through the Ricky Williams deal with Miami, Charles Grant became our other #1 pick).

I always liked him b/c he paired with Joe Horn very well-Horn was that QB's safety valve, and Stallworth was that receiver who could stretch the field.

This combo actually made Aaron Brooks like ALOT better than he really was.

Want an amusing reality check? Here's their take on Stallworth's "modest" role with the Patriots in 9 games:

And then there is Stallworth, with 28 catches for 453 yards and three touchdowns. That's rather pedestrian by comparison, not that Stallworth is complaining.

vs. his "featured" role with the Eagles last season in 12 games:

After Stallworth last season caught 38 passes for 725 yards and five touchdowns, his agent, Drew Rosenhaus, asked the Eagles for a long-term deal with a hefty signing bonus.

Yep, his production's the same...but now he's the 3rd option! :)

Want an amusing reality check? Here's their take on Stallworth's "modest" role with the Patriots in 9 games:

And then there is Stallworth, with 28 catches for 453 yards and three touchdowns. That's rather pedestrian by comparison, not that Stallworth is complaining.

vs. his "featured" role with the Eagles last season in 12 games:

After Stallworth last season caught 38 passes for 725 yards and five touchdowns, his agent, Drew Rosenhaus, asked the Eagles for a long-term deal with a hefty signing bonus.

Yep, his production's the same...but now he's the 3rd option! :)

Prorating his numbers for 2007 so far, it's 50/805 yds and 5.3 TDs, better than last year and as you wrote, as the third option. Considering he came from a team without a running game that passed, he seems pretty happy with Brady and not Donovan 'check down" McNabb.

Quiet few predict he will be gone and i for 1 will be sad to see him go.... who knows after yesterday colts might actually sign him .

Quiet few predict he will be gone and i for 1 will be sad to see him go.... who knows after yesterday colts might actually sign him .

Just a quick point--the Pats currently control Stallworth's rights through 2012. The Colts can't sign him unless they trade for him or the Pats release him.

Last edited:
Just a quick point--the Pats currently control Stallworth's rights through 2012. The Colts can't sign him unless they trade for him or the Pats release him.

I know that but if the option bonus is not picked up then he is a FA .thing is he is 26 and as we have seen WR do not start to perform untill 3-4 yrs in the NFL and then the have solid 4-5 yrs. I think his best years are ahead of him .

Last edited:

Ya but I just dont see the Pats paying the 5-9 Million (for their #3 guy) to keep him next year. Unless he restructures to stay......

He was the Saints' top draft pick in '02(through the Ricky Williams deal with Miami, Charles Grant became our other #1 pick).

I always liked him b/c he paired with Joe Horn very well-Horn was that QB's safety valve, and Stallworth was that receiver who could stretch the field.

This combo actually made Aaron Brooks like ALOT better than he really was.

OF course you have a large section of Saints "fans" who rip the guy every chance they get for injuries, totally ignoring the fact that he played all 16 games his last two years there and he actually played MORE games for the Saints in his 4 years there than say Branch in his 4 years as a Pat. In fact, before the game yesterday on 870 they had this guy on singing a song about Colston to the beat of Santana's "Smooth" and one of the lines was: "you know he'll play hurt, unlike that wussy Donte Stallworth." I was floored when I heard that, I mean nevermind the fact that Colston lost rookie of the year last season because he got hurt and missed 2 games entirely and barely played in 3 others.

My buddy from Philly is still bummed about losing him.

I feel very, very strongly about both sides of the Stallworth discussion :)

We signed him before Moss dropped into our laps... so, his big-time deal might just be a bit much for what he'll bring to the team.

On the other hand... he can be the understudy for 3 to 4 years at this rate, and still have the legs to take over a major role if Moss' decline happens in that time frame.

And on the other other hand... the cap hits for them plus Welker (who is a bargain, no doubt about it any more...) will be an uncharacteristic emphasis on wideout for the Pats' front office. But with a new fast track at Gilette, with the league's emphasis on "receivers' rights" (unless it's Pats' receivers against the Colts,) and now that we've seen Tom Brady's Flying Circus in action -- we might be about ready to become an airborne team (at the expense of defense, depth, the O-line, or SOMETHING, in comparative terms.)

Eh well... as I always say: nice problems to have!

PFnV

Ya but I just dont see the Pats paying the 5-9 Million (for their #3 guy) to keep him next year. Unless he restructures to stay......

Let's remember that Moss hasn't re-signed next year.

Until then Stallworth isn't going anywhere - and even if Moss does re-up, does BB and Brady want to go back to a WR corps that lacks a deep threat?

That's what they'd have if Moss were injured.

Having both Moss and Stallworth on the team makes this offense INCREDIBLE when they are both healthy - and STILL one of the best in the league if one of them tweaks a hamstring and needs to rest for a few weeks.

Let's not run Stallworth out of town too quickly.

I'd love to have Stallworth for the Colts to eventually become the 2nd WR, but I can't see that happening. If only if only the woodpecker cries.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes