PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Phil Simms: "Tom Brady had a bad - really bad - postseason last year."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Phil Simms: "Tom Brady had a bad- really bad- postseason last year."

the whole Dillon thing still baffles me. He disappeared all last season for quarters at a time.

That is because the Pats went with Maroney for quarters at a time. Not baffling to me. Just trying to give the rookie work.

Toms QB rating for the last 5 playoff games;

2006 Season:
Indy - 79.5
S.D. - 57.6
Jets - 101.6

2005 Season:
Denver - 73.1
Jags - 116.4

Over the past two seasons Tom appears to do well against playoff teams that are "Just Happy to be There" (Jets & Jags) and struggled against the the "Contender" teams.

What do you mean by "The final INT was irrelevant to the outcome, as the game had already been decided." in the Colts game? We were only trailing by 4 points with a minute left.

Not that I think Tommy is infallible, but passer rating is a terribly poor way to measure quality of a QB's play. For instance, had Caldwell caught the two drops, Brady's completion % goes up and his ypc and ypa rise. Add in the int when Brady really had to force things and you have a passer rating that is 20-30 points below where Brady's actual play deserved.

Against Denver, the int at the end when the game was all but over depresses his rating significantly.

All that said, I do think that Tom played poorly in the Denver game. He missed Deion and Troy for open TDs and the low throw to Givens followed by the Bailey pick might have been the low point of his career so far. I do think that he could have played better against Indy, but the Hayden PI non-call took away a clear TD that would have put NE in position for a winning FG at the end.

Against SD Brady did have a mediocre to poor game. No real rationalizations there.

That is because the Pats went with Maroney for quarters at a time. Not baffling to me. Just trying to give the rookie work.

There were plenty of times where it seemed that NE lost momentum when they made the RB switch. I see plenty of reason to ask why it seemed Dillon couldn't run more than 3 plays in a row.

Add in the int when Brady really had to force things and you have a passer rating that is 20-30 points below where Brady's actual play deserved.

Against Denver, the int at the end when the game was all but over depresses his rating significantly.

I do think that he could have played better against Indy, but the Hayden PI non-call took away a clear TD that would have put NE in position for a winning FG at the end.

Against SD Brady did have a mediocre to poor game. No real rationalizations there.

The INT against Indy was on 1st down, with plenty of time still left. There was no reason to force it.

The INT against Denver was when they were down by 1 point at the 5 with a Denver team that couldn't score even WITH all the breaks going there way.

The QB rating in those games reflects accurately some bad play. There might be some piling on with other stats, but it's pretty accurate if you ask me.

The fact is, these were killer bad plays, from a great QB. There have been others - like the totally ridiculous INT in SB 38 against the Panthers. Would have sealed an easy win without that one.

There have been other times where the O couldn't stay on the field - 03 Indy game. We only remember that goal line stand because they couldn't convert a 3rd and 4 or so.

But this is ok. Belichick had some BAD, Real BAD coaching games in the same span (Indy last year for one, but also the Jets regular season game). Even going back to SB 38, the great Adam Vinatieri missed TWO FGs that would also have put the game away.

Tiger Woods had a bogey at the PGA Championship last Sunday, on a makeable 5 footer with the pressure on! It happens. It's remarkable because it's rare. But it's still bad.

9-0 in the post season is simply unsustainable good. Going from that to 12-2 post season career only drops him from IMMORTAL to just, best ever.

I respect Phill Simms opinon as much as anybody, but Brady did the best for what he had to work with.. He still delievered when it counted, the last drive withstanding..

Toms QB rating for the last 5 playoff games;

2006 Season:
Indy - 79.5
S.D. - 57.6
Jets - 101.6

2005 Season:
Denver - 73.1
Jags - 116.4

Over the past two seasons Tom appears to do well against playoff teams that are "Just Happy to be There" (Jets & Jags) and struggled against the the "Contender" teams.

What do you mean by "The final INT was irrelevant to the outcome, as the game had already been decided." in the Colts game? We were only trailing by 4 points with a minute left.

And no timeouts with 85 yards to go.

Are you serious?

I respect Phill Simms opinon as much as anybody, but Brady did the best for what he had to work with.. He still delievered when it counted, the last drive withstanding..

this is exactly my feeling too

concerning the AFC Championship i tried anyway to forget it; very tough...
1 first down and it was over...

My take:

vs NYJ- very good game, especially when compared to Week 10. Had the Pats in control of the game from the get-go.

@ SD - such an ugly, uneven game from Brady. Had the Pats lost (i.e. Brown doesn't strip the ball), Brady would have been panned for that performance. Instead of defensive meltdowns we'd be discussing Brady's meltdown. Fortunately he gutted through.

@ Indy - a really hard one to judge. He only needed a few key throws before NE jumped ahead 18. But I could tell he was ready to slam the door on Indy before Brown was called for offensive PI. He stepped up and kept the Pats ahead through most of the 4th quarter. Had the Pats won (i.e. the D holds Indy late), then his performance would have been adequate. Under the circumstances, the INT didn't sour my opinion of his play that night.

Given that he didn't play horribly in the loss, I wouldn't say his overall postseason performance was bad, not necessarily impressive either.

1 first down and it was over...

When it comes down to THAT (instead of questionable calls/no calls or injuries) I can accept the loss because the Pats couldn't get it done. The Colts had to make tons of plays but the Pats just had to get that ONE first down. Championship teams make that first down.

The INT against Indy was on 1st down, with plenty of time still left. There was no reason to force it.

The INT against Denver was when they were down by 1 point at the 5 with a Denver team that couldn't score even WITH all the breaks going there way.

The QB rating in those games reflects accurately some bad play. There might be some piling on with other stats, but it's pretty accurate if you ask me.

The fact is, these were killer bad plays, from a great QB. There have been others - like the totally ridiculous INT in SB 38 against the Panthers. Would have sealed an easy win without that one.

There have been other times where the O couldn't stay on the field - 03 Indy game. We only remember that goal line stand because they couldn't convert a 3rd and 4 or so.

But this is ok. Belichick had some BAD, Real BAD coaching games in the same span (Indy last year for one, but also the Jets regular season game). Even going back to SB 38, the great Adam Vinatieri missed TWO FGs that would also have put the game away.

Tiger Woods had a bogey at the PGA Championship last Sunday, on a makeable 5 footer with the pressure on! It happens. It's remarkable because it's rare. But it's still bad.

9-0 in the post season is simply unsustainable good. Going from that to 12-2 post season career only drops him from IMMORTAL to just, best ever.

1) Indy - 1st down with no TOs and needing to go another 35-40 yards in about 20 seconds. If that isn't force it time, I don't know what is. That said, Evans was wide open on a wheel route and would have likely gotten to the 15 with about 12 seconds remaining, so Brady definitely made a mistake regardless.

2) Brady threw two ints against Denver. I specifically mentioned the one on the goal line and called it the"low point of his career". Not sure why that one needed challenging.

Your post comes across as if I have a differing opinion than you do, when that is not the truth. Other than Indy last year, I agree that Brady has had a few clunkers in the playoffs of late. In fairness to him, though, the offense since 2004 has been a real work in progress and he has been asked to carry it much more than any other QB, including Manning. Manning has historically needed to carry a much worse defense, but with little change in the OL, WRs or TEs, it isn't as if the other guys are just along for the ride.

That said, I think that Brady would agree that he has had a hand in the losses and the SD game. As I said before "he is not infalible."

When it comes down to THAT (instead of questionable calls/no calls or injuries) I can accept the loss because the Pats couldn't get it done. The Colts had to make tons of plays but the Pats just had to get that ONE first down. Championship teams make that first down.

i have not seen that game anymore

I'd suspect that Brady would agree that any season that doesn't end in a Super Bowl victory is a "bad season."

This number looks more like his cap figure, not what he made last year. The two aren't the same at all.

Also, right or wrong, the chart is not giving what Tom Brady made last year. The chart also has Randy Moss, and he didn't play last year. (It has Randy Moss making $7,750,880, and that doesn't sound right even for this year.)

FYI - That chart provides what the player took home in cash in 2005 even if the player was on another team in 2005.

Brady took home in 2005
$1,000,000 salary
$14,500,000 signing bonus
$4,180 offseason workout bonus money.

FYI - That chart provides what the player took home in cash in 2005 even if the player was on another team in 2005.

Brady took home in 2005
$1,000,000 salary
$14,500,000 signing bonus
$4,180 offseason workout bonus money.

Thanks for pointing that out, Miguel. That still nullifies what Rab was saying. Brady isn't a $15 million a year man. He took home $15+ million because of a bonus he received. Bonuses are not part of a salary.

Last year's Pats had no reason to even be in the AFC Championship game if you just look at the talent/injury combination. Brady willed them there with timley completions and guts against SD....(yeah the D and Troy Brown had a lot to do with it too).

Brady isn't perfect....but he is the best in the game IMO.

And while Simms was a true game manager type QB who rode the team Defense to the title.....he has definitely earned a right to his opinion. Heck.....fat arse sportswriters and fans have a right to theirs....so why not Phil. He isn't far off anyway, but I give Brady a bit more credit. Does anybody think we reach the AFCCG last year with Rivers at QB?

in 2006 playoffs Brady went
69 of 119
58%

724 total yds
10.5/catch

5TD
4INT for a 1.25 TD/Int ratio that is terrible for anyone, let alone a star like Brady (his career post season ratio is better than 2). The rest of numbers are decent.

Your post comes across as if I have a differing opinion than you do, when that is not the truth. Other than Indy last year, I agree that Brady has had a few clunkers in the playoffs of late. In fairness to him, though, the offense since 2004 has been a real work in progress and he has been asked to carry it much more than any other QB, including Manning.

I get that. I think I mentioned Tiger Woods because he gets the same treatment now. There was actually a headline this year saying "Will Woods post an 0-fer in majors this year?" Like, horror of horrors, one WHOLE YEAR without winning a major (when no one else playing in Golf now or ever has one more than handful total).

Simms is calling Brady out because if he doesn't do it now, he won't get much of a chance.

P.S. If Felger covered Golf we'd be hearing "what's wrong with Tiger? He could have had two or three more majors by now if he wasn't so stubborn."

I forgot to include the fact that Brady's TD/INT ratio was 3 (or 3 to 1) for his post season career before this past season. 3 is a very good number, not great, but very good.

Always nice to find a good Tom bashing post on A PATRIOTS MESSAGE BOARD.

stop expecting miracles.

No, the Indy game wasn't TECHNICALLY over on the final drive...

Reality: We had about a minute to go the length of the field for a TD to win the AFC Championship. Your receivers are named Brown, Caldwell and Gaffney. You can't run the ball and you're playing a defense that is trained to play cover-2 and read the QB and create turnovers.

Did I mention it's the AFC-C?

It was desperation time folks....time to force the ball....that's what the situation calls for....

Think back on some of the great postseason drives:

- Starr in the Ice Bowl (4:50 clock, all-star supporting cast)
- Montana in the SB (3 T/Os + 2MW + 3:20 on clock + Rice, Taylor, Craig)
- Elway in the AFC-C (5 min on clock, only down by 3, but it was 98 yards with a bunch of no-names)
- Brady SB (just needed 3, but 81 seconds and no TOs, and a cast of nobodies)

What did they ALL have in common (except for Tom's SB drive)?

T-I-M-E!!!!

We didn't have it.

Had we scored a TD in that situation it would've gone down as the greatest drive in NFL history....a MIRACLE.

If you want to criticize a performance, you'd have to single out the San Diego game (I've always said we can't win if he throws 3 picks)....but still, the 3rd and 10 deep-out to Caldwell that essentially won the game was not only one of his best, but might've gone down as one of the best plays in postseason history...should've been a TD, had Caldwell had the athletic presence to keep going (Chargers then came 5 yards from another chance at winning that game)

I will never get over the Colts or Broncos games from the past two seasons, and the pundits will keep talking about them until we go all the way again.

But it really is a new dawn....I know it's not easy, but can we at least try to move on....we now have some actual games to discuss.

Always nice to find a good Tom bashing post on A PATRIOTS MESSAGE BOARD.

stop expecting miracles.

No, the Indy game wasn't TECHNICALLY over on the final drive...

Reality: We had about a minute to go the length of the field for a TD to win the AFC Championship. Your receivers are named Brown, Caldwell and Gaffney. You can't run the ball and you're playing a defense that is trained to play cover-2 and read the QB and create turnovers.

Did I mention it's the AFC-C?

It was desperation time folks....time to force the ball....that's what the situation calls for....

Think back on some of the great postseason drives:

- Starr in the Ice Bowl (4:50 clock, all-star supporting cast)
- Montana in the SB (3 T/Os + 2MW + 3:20 on clock + Rice, Taylor, Craig)
- Elway in the AFC-C (5 min on clock, only down by 3, but it was 98 yards with a bunch of no-names)
- Brady SB (just needed 3, but 81 seconds and no TOs, and a cast of nobodies)

What did they ALL have in common (except for Tom's SB drive)?

T-I-M-E!!!!

We didn't have it.

Had we scored a TD in that situation it would've gone down as the greatest drive in NFL history....a MIRACLE.

If you want to criticize a performance, you'd have to single out the San Diego game (I've always said we can't win if he throws 3 picks)....but still, the 3rd and 10 deep-out to Caldwell that essentially won the game was not only one of his best, but might've gone down as one of the best plays in postseason history...should've been a TD, had Caldwell had the athletic presence to keep going (Chargers then came 5 yards from another chance at winning that game)

I will never get over the Colts or Broncos games from the past two seasons, and the pundits will keep talking about them until we go all the way again.

But it really is a new dawn....I know it's not easy, but can we at least try to move on....we now have some actual games to discuss.

That was an excellent post:rocker:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots