PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Phil Simms: "Tom Brady had a bad - really bad - postseason last year."

Status
Not open for further replies.

PonyExpress

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Phil Simms said this on WFAN radio in NY yesterday. He was describing Tom Brady's playoff performance. IMO Brady played great vs. the Jets, did what he had to do vs. a tough SD D, and had the Pats in position to win the Colts, with Maroney/Dillon/Faulk all injured. The final INT was irrelevant to the outcome, as the game had already been decided.

Re: Phil Simms: "Tom Brady had a bad- really bad- postseason last year."

hes mixing him with Peyton with the whole "terrible post-season" ****

He DID have a bad postseason last year.

He DIDN'T win the superbowl...

Take away the 'He' and add T-E-A-M to that answer,it takes all 53 to win or lose,not just 1 guy.

Last edited:

Take away the 'He' and add T-E-A-M to that answer,it takes all 53 to win or lose,not just 1 guy.

You know EXACTLY what I mean...

Phil Simms said this on WFAN radio in NY yesterday. He was describing Tom Brady's playoff performance. IMO Brady played great vs. the Jets, did what he had to do vs. a tough SD D, and had the Pats in position to win the Colts, with Maroney/Dillon/Faulk all injured. The final INT was irrelevant to the outcome, as the game had already been decided.

Toms QB rating for the last 5 playoff games;

2006 Season:
Indy - 79.5
S.D. - 57.6
Jets - 101.6

2005 Season:
Denver - 73.1
Jags - 116.4

Over the past two seasons Tom appears to do well against playoff teams that are "Just Happy to be There" (Jets & Jags) and struggled against the the "Contender" teams.

What do you mean by "The final INT was irrelevant to the outcome, as the game had already been decided." in the Colts game? We were only trailing by 4 points with a minute left.

You know EXACTLY what I mean...

Does everyone on the Team make $15,000,000 per year like Tom? When I watch my "3 games to glory" DVDs it's Tom, Tom, Tom, Tom. Why not Tom, Tom, Tom, when things go wrong?

What are you talking about "the game had already been decided." It was a bad read and throw in clutch time when there was more than a chance to win. At least call it what it was.

He hasn't looked as great the past two postseasons as he did in the last two SB years, and I think that's partially the absence of Weis. We'll see what happens when he's got good recievers.

Sorry Pony, but the game hadn't been decided. The final interception cinched it for the Colts. However, I don't blame Brady for that interception. We should never have been in that position.

Also, if you listen to Dillon's most recent interview, he says he wasn't injured and could have gone. If that is the case, then I really am disappointed with the coaching staff because running Dillon after Graham's long reception would have run time off the clock and bought valuable time for the Pats defense.

Does everyone on the Team make $15,000,000 per year like Tom? When I watch my "3 games to glory" DVDs it's Tom, Tom, Tom, Tom. Why not Tom, Tom, Tom, when things go wrong?

OK, I guess I have to talk s-l-o-w...

When you don't win the superbowl... you ALWAYS have a bad year.

Think about it.

Obviously Brady wasn't the lone reason why the Pats lost.

Some certain player with oversized pupils (eyes wide shut) couldn't seem too catch a very catchable ball(s).

The linebackers were so winded... they looked like me trying to play football.

Get it now????

Tom Brady doesn't make $15 million a year either. However, I do agree with you that Tom didn't have his best game. But, I don't believe that the Pats coaching staff had their best game either.

Serioulsy, since when did the Patriots NOT go ball control with the lead and less than 5 minutes in the game and inside the opposition's 30 yard line. For any football coach out there, can you help explain why the Pats wouldn't have run Evans (or Dillon if he wasn't injured the way he claims) with the Ball at the Indy 29 and 4:39 left on the clock. Wouldn't running the ball, even with Evans, chewed up valuable time off the clock? Couldn't the Pats have run the clock down to the 2 minute warning, at the very least? Or have forced the Colts to use their time outs?

Dillon wasn't running spectacular that game, but that late in the game, there's a better chance of him picking up a 1st down with how bad the Colts defense was against the run.

Tom Brady doesn't make $15 million a year either. However, I do agree with you that Tom didn't have his best game. But, I don't believe that the Pats coaching staff had their best game either.

Serioulsy, since when did the Patriots NOT go ball control with the lead and less than 5 minutes in the game and inside the opposition's 30 yard line. For any football coach out there, can you help explain why the Pats wouldn't have run Evans (or Dillon if he wasn't injured the way he claims) with the Ball at the Indy 29 and 4:39 left on the clock. Wouldn't running the ball, even with Evans, chewed up valuable time off the clock? Couldn't the Pats have run the clock down to the 2 minute warning, at the very least? Or have forced the Colts to use their time outs?

Dillon wasn't running spectacular that game, but that late in the game, there's a better chance of him picking up a 1st down with how bad the Colts defense was against the run.

You are right. He did not make $15,000,000 he made $15,654,180. Sorry about that.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/teamSalary?categoryId=67054

ummmm, brady plays bad against contenders????? i mustve misunderstood that comment. for those who have forgotten, the whole team sucked it up against denver. that was the worst playoff game we've played in the b.b. era imho. also, how do we know that dillons recent statement, that he couldve played in the 2nd half of the colts game, is true????? just cause he said so, doesnt make it so. though i agree, why didnt we run evans. but, thats in the past. bottom line, they lose as a team. even though its common to praise a q.b. when the team wins, and blame the q.b. when they lose.

You are right. He did not make $15,000,000 he made $15,654,180. Sorry about that.

This number looks more like his cap figure, not what he made last year. The two aren't the same at all.

Also, right or wrong, the chart is not giving what Tom Brady made last year. The chart also has Randy Moss, and he didn't play last year. (It has Randy Moss making $7,750,880, and that doesn't sound right even for this year.)

Last edited:

Brady is responsible for not being able to stop the Colts and keep the defense off the field... I like Phil Sims, and in some respects he is right, in the last two years playoff games Denver and last year the Colts, he and the TEAM did not play well.

with that said brady would tell you it was a bad post season

Toms QB rating for the last 5 playoff games;

2006 Season:
Indy - 79.5
S.D. - 57.6
Jets - 101.6

2005 Season:
Denver - 73.1
Jags - 116.4

Over the past two seasons Tom appears to do well against playoff teams that are "Just Happy to be There" (Jets & Jags) and struggled against the the "Contender" teams.

What do you mean by "The final INT was irrelevant to the outcome, as the game had already been decided." in the Colts game? We were only trailing by 4 points with a minute left.

2007- had functional wr's

2006- limited running game

2008- no excuses, has the weapons.

and may I add those were McDaniels first and second years.

the whole Dillon thing still baffles me. He disappeared all last season for quarters at a time.

the words "bad-really bad" are kind of incendiary and so the first reaction of most of us out here is to defend our guy. at least mine was.

But when you step back and look at the Colts game, even if we acknowledge that there WERE dropped passes and that the running game didn't seem to get in gear in the second half...nonetheless, it wasn't just the final INT but also TB's inability to engineer a first down or two late in the fourth quarter to keep Peyton off the field that sealed our doom.

And, if we look to the San Diego game, if Troy Brown hadn't wrestled that INT away there was no Colt's game (Brady also had a fumble earlier in the game that fortunately landed right at the feet of a Patriot).

As for Denver the year before, I think the officials had too much of an impact on the outcome of the game for us to point fingers at Tom or "the interception."

So "bad- really bad"? I wouldn't put it like that. But "not what we needed from Brady." I think that's appropriate and wouldn't be surprised if TB agreed.

Not sure where they got their numbers, but those don't look like SALARY numbers, those look like CAP numbers. And, well, I take Miquel's cap numbers over any other site except the NFLPA.

Brady's salary last year was $4 million. His signing bonus amortization was 9.8 million after some accounting changes.

http://www.patscap.com/capfootnotes.html#brady

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye