PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Phil Simms on the current Patriots Team....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finally! A national media member talking about what the Pats have vice what they lost. It's a breath of fresh air.

FloridaPatsFan said:
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/9658177Interesting to me, mostly because Simms is a neutral observer.......But then again, anything someone writes about the Pats that has something good to say.....is ok with me.
I think Phil Simms is one of the better analysts out there, but he's only slightly less biased about the Patriots than I am. For some reason, maybe because of his history with Belichick, maybe because he's done so many Patriots' games, he's practically a Patriots house broadcaster.

Hey, I ain't complaining, though ... one reason I like him on games.

I'm just glad to finally see an analyst realize that our losses are overrated. I love Willie as much as the next guy, but he's not as good anymore as he once was. If he didn't have that monster game in the playoffs I don't think people would be making such a big deal about his departure. I understand that Vinatieri hits ever clutch kick, but he's also one of the only kickers to be give the opportunity to hit such big kicks year in and year out. I think most kickers would have made the superbowl kicks. He did miss two in the second superbowl, so he's not perfect. The snowbowl kicks are a totally different story. Vinatierri might be the only kicker on the planet who could make those kicks. And Branch is not Jerry Rice. Thats what everyone is making him sound like. He's not even Reggie Wayne.

FSUPatsFan said:
I'm just glad to finally see an analyst realize that our losses are overrated. I love Willie as much as the next guy, but he's not as good anymore as he once was. If he didn't have that monster game in the playoffs I don't think people would be making such a big deal about his departure. I understand that Vinatieri hits ever clutch kick, but he's also one of the only kickers to be give the opportunity to hit such big kicks year in and year out. I think most kickers would have made the superbowl kicks. He did miss two in the second superbowl, so he's not perfect. The snowbowl kicks are a totally different story. Vinatierri might be the only kicker on the planet who could make those kicks. And Branch is not Jerry Rice. Thats what everyone is making him sound like. He's not even Reggie Wayne.

The bottom line with Vinatieri is that last year he put up career low numbers during a year when the offence would have needed him. That's all I really need to know when it comes to him wanting a big cheque.

Simms is a good analyst, and while he does tend to favour the Patriots, I've seen him write some derogatory stuff about them too, and he has no problem at all calling it out when they make bad plays or praising the opposition.

Speaking of Simms and the Snowbowl, Simms remarks right after getting nailed by a snowball early in the 4th quarter was one the funniest moments in Patriot broadcast history. And the following year, Simms did a Pats pre-season game and joked in his opening that he's still looking for the fan that hit him.

I agree with many of you that Simms is one of the best color analysts.

FloridaPatsFan said:
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/9658177Interesting to me, mostly because Simms is a neutral observer.......But then again, anything someone writes about the Pats that has something good to say.....is ok with me.

Sterling Sharpe is a neutral observer as well but there is another post calling him a moron because he actually gave his opinion and it was anti-Patriots. So, the media members who say good things about the Pats are smart - until they say something bad about them, then they are stupid, and the media members who say something negative about the Pats are morons - until they say something good about them (see Mike Golic). Got all that?

I'm Ron Borges? said:
Sterling Sharpe is a neutral observer as well but there is another post calling him a moron because he actually gave his opinion and it was anti-Patriots. So, the media members who say good things about the Pats are smart - until they say something bad about them, then they are stupid, and the media members who say something negative about the Pats are morons - until they say something good about them (see Mike Golic). Got all that?

Broken record?

Your antagonistic act is getting old.

I'm Ron Borges? said:

No, he was called a moron because he said Ben Watson was a restricted free agent next year when he's actually signed through 2009.

Patriotic said:
Speaking of Simms and the Snowbowl, Simms remarks right after getting nailed by a snowball early in the 4th quarter was one the funniest moments in Patriot broadcast history. And the following year, Simms did a Pats pre-season game and joked in his opening that he's still looking for the fan that hit him.

I agree with many of you that Simms is one of the best color analysts.

LOL - I'm not sure if I know the exact exchange, but I remember during the snow bowl, there was some odd humorous banter ending with Simms saying something like "I believe it's well known that you're the one who likes snow, Greg" and there was an ensuing long pause before Gumbel awkwaydly comes back with "1st and 10". The rest of that entire year, whenever me or my friends said something awkward, we'd have a long pause and say "1st and 10".

BradyManny2344 said:
LOL - I'm not sure if I know the exact exchange, but I remember during the snow bowl, there was some odd humorous banter ending with Simms saying something like "I believe it's well known that you're the one who likes snow, Greg" and there was an ensuing long pause before Gumbel awkwaydly comes back with "1st and 10". The rest of that entire year, whenever me or my friends said something awkward, we'd have a long pause and say "1st and 10".

You see, this is the kind of stuff that makes this website worth being a part of.....

I did not remember that, but I can only imagine Phil pointing to his nose and Gumbel pointing both middle fingers at Simms......

Great post...Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey