PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Phil Simms and the Fumble that Wasn't

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone who thinks it was a fumble must be saying Deion wasn't down by contact. Presumably these same people would think it a fair "football move" if Deion had got up and run it into the Endzone ? Why not if he wasn't downed.

Olbermann is just about the smartest, savviest, most articulate announcer out there. You may not like his politics, that's always my suspicion with cracks like this, but the idea that he's bad at his job -- as opposed to BRILLIANT at it, which is why so many people put up with his eccentricities and ego -- is as ridiculous as the idea that Rodney Harrison isn't comfortable on camera.

Honestly, we're all entitled to our opinions, but I'm AMAZED at these differences among us. In what world is Rodney AWKWARD in front of the camera???

I don't care about his politics. He is Bill O'Reilly of the Left. Without getting political, he is just a rabble rouser who just panders to his core audience and get them incensed by spinning stories to demonize the other side. He is a self-righteous windbag. He just panders to the hate in his audience. All he did was steal the formula of many of the successful talking heads on the Right (Rush, O'Reilly) and form fitted it for his left leaning audience. Personally, I find it the lowest form of political commentary no matter which side does it.

I'd take Suzy Kolber over Rodney Harrison in a heartbeat.

I definitely wouldn't want to kiss Rodney. A hug maybe. We could just be friends.

I fall into the camp of "I don't get it." Right after the play, I wondered if he was down and the replay as they went to commercial, it was clear he was. After the break, I was expecting Simms/Nance to show that. I thought it was odd they were harping on how it might be incomplete and didn't really focus on the knee being down.

Overall, I thought the Simms/Nance team called an odd game on Sunday.

If he lost possession of the ball BEFORE he was hit, he was never down. The issue is whether he started to transfer the ball before he was hit. Was very close.

I would see it completely the other way round. He caught the ball, fell on it, but was never touched.He got up to a kneeing position trying to start running again. As this clearly is a football move, he has now established possession and is just another open field runner with the ball, allthough a kneeling one.

Later(!), In the moment he transfer the ball to his other hand, he is touched, with his knee still being down. resulting in a down by contact ruling, which ends the play. Again later he jets player kicks the ball out with his impact. The relative timing of these events is clearly visible in the replay so I dont see how this ruling could be wrong.

I am amazed there is even a controversy over this. Down by contact is so incredibly clear to me in the replay. I am amazed to see anyone discussing this when I thought the controversy would be over PI calls that by nature are never black and white.

If Branch had gotten up and run the ball into the end zone, there would be absolutely no debate that his knee was down and the ball would be brought back. The only reason that this issue is even being debated is because the Jets are looking to blame the refs for their loss.

I am amazed there is even a controversy over this. Down by contact is so incredibly clear to me in the replay. I am amazed to see anyone discussing this when I thought the controversy would be over PI calls that by nature are never black and white.

you're amazed? clearly you haven't been paying attention to that patented "if/then,could have/really did" Jet fan philosophy that has led to 42 straight September Super Bowl wins and the same number of "If/Then" actual Super Bowl wins.

As much as I was surprised by Simms's comments on the fumble, I was more upset by his defense of Revis. From the "highlight" reel showing Revis holding Welker and hearing Simms call it "great coverage" to that clear penalty and hearing Simms calling it "tangled feet" and no penalty, he was showering Revis with praise. Revis seems to be Simms's favorite player right now. He can do no wrong.

this was a simple overturn I don't get the opposing views?

you get touched by a D-player when an offense player's knee or elbow is touching the ground You are ruled down by contact.:cool:

CASE CLOSED

Last edited:
As much as I was surprised by Simms's comments on the fumble, I was more upset by his defense of Revis. From the "highlight" reel showing Revis holding Welker and hearing Simms call it "great coverage" to that clear penalty and hearing Simms calling it "tangled feet" and no penalty, he was showering Revis with praise. Revis seems to be Simms's favorite player right now. He can do no wrong.

It really looked like Revis was holding the whole time.

Simms was saying that if you're exchanging the ball between your hands then you aren't down by contact?

I'd like some clarification on this rule as well.

BUT HIS KNEE WAS DOWN AND HE WAS TOUCHED (DOWN BY CONTACT)

it was an easy call:) video showed it perfectly. The move meant nothing. Knee was down he got touched in back and thus the ruling is down by contact:cool:

Last edited:
you're amazed? clearly you haven't been paying attention to that patented "if/then,could have/really did" Jet fan philosophy that has led to 42 straight September Super Bowl wins and the same number of "If/Then" actual Super Bowl wins.

Well, I knew there would be some dispute with the ref'ing but I expected it to be focused elsewhere. I thought the PI called would be the area of dispute rather than this down by contact situation which IMO was very easy to see.

Simms was pretty much an fan boy for the Jests during the game. It was really evident during the last few minutes when he sounded in denial of the Jests losing.

Yeah, Phill has been on that band wagon for a while now. He always was balanced but in the last couple of years, he's almost been a YETS homer and Mark Sanchez apologist.

this was a simple overturn I don't get the opposing views?

you get touched by a D-player when an offense player's knee or elbow is touching the ground You are ruled down by contact.:cool:

CASE CLOSED

Most opposing views on this one are from people with an agenda, like say, Jets fans for example.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes