PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Phil Simms and the Fumble that Wasn't

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agreed. I didn't think it was a fumble, but also didn't think it was a catch. Since he was juggling the ball, I thought it was an incompletion. Result didn't matter since we followed it up with a TD regardless.

He never juggled it...made catch ...moved ball to other side...got hit...knee touched...ball popped out.....

how could that be called an incomplete?

Since he switched hands, the ball could be considered moving and therefore not a completed pass when the ball later hit the ground.

Last edited:
As soon as they showed the replay of Revis grabbing Welker's shirt and then getting lauded for it by the announcing team I knew we were in for a long day of Jet ass-kissing.

Since he switched hands, the ball could be considered moving and therefore not a completed pass when the ball later hit the ground.

I think that would only apply in this case if it was an incomplete pass. He was deemed in control of the ball (thus a complete pass), then his knee went down and he was touched. You now have a complete pass that is down by contact. He lost possession after that.

Last edited:

He had already gone to the ground with the ball, established possession, and was trying to get back up. If he made it up it would have been a fumble.

The ball was bobbling around without him being touched. Nevertheless, that's how the game goes. Jets should have stopped them from scoring touchdowns, plain and simple. Patriots=better team at this point.

I think that would only apply in this case if it was an incomplete pass. He was deemed in control of the ball (thus a complete pass), then his knee went down and he was touched. You now have a complete pass that is down by contact. He fumbled after that.

Yes, too me it was clearly possession and downed by contact. What I am trying to explain is what Simms was claiming. Atleast as I understood it.

The thread about this on Jets Insider is gold. I would like to respond to it but I don't think I've drank enough to meet their argument criteria which consists of saying "douchebag" or calling someone "gay" in every post.

Last edited:
Simm's desire for the Jets to win the game infected his entire broadcast. It was absolutely horrendous. His buddy calling out Alabama was beyond stupid. Horrid announcing.... I hope I never hear either of them again.

It was a complete pass,however once Ellis touched him,when his knee was down,It doesn't matter even if Branch HANDED him the ball....He's still down by contact.
Simms is an idiot......A New York apologist.
His comment on the hold in the EZ,by Cromatie was ludicrous....Don't even get me started about the constant hand checks by Revis,after the 5 yard Limit:bricks:

The only thing I will be talking about that overturned call this week is how Simms and Jets fans seem do not understand the rule. On instant replay, that was clearly not a fumble. As it has already been pointed out, Branch was touched by a defender and then fumbled the ball. Once he is touched with a knee down, the play is over.

Simm's desire for the Jets to win the game infected his entire broadcast. It was absolutely horrendous. His buddy calling out Alabama was beyond stupid. Horrid announcing.... I hope I never hear either of them again.

I want Al Michaels/Cris Collinsworth. Especially Cris. They are doing Packers Falcons now.

As soon as he started to refer to the Jest as "We" I knew it was gonna be a long announcer day. Was he this bad, back in the day, when he was a Brady ball washer?

As soon as he started to refer to the Jest as "We" I knew it was gonna be a long announcer day. Was he this bad, back in the day, when he was a Brady ball washer?

He was a Brady Ball washer, not a Pats ball-washer. Being a fan of an individual player does not tint a view like we say in Simms today. The fact that the co-announcer was worse just made it silly. I'm embarassed that I used to like Simms.

I want Al Michaels/Cris Collinsworth. Especially Cris. They are doing Packers Falcons now.

I like Al Michaels. Chris Collinsworth used to add some serious insight to games... until his announcing became a platform to validate his preconceptions. I can barely stand the guy now.

Last edited:
He was a Brady Ball washer, not a Pats ball-washer. Being a fan of an individual player does not tint a view like we say in Simms today. The fact that the co-announcer was worse just made it silly. I'm embarassed that I used to like Simms.

I believe Simms did the Broncos game in Jan 2006. He astutely drew a line on the teleprompter from where the ball landed to where Bailey was when he fumbled and concluded that the Patriots should be rewarded with a touchback. If the replay official had agreed with Simms, the Patriotswould have probably won that game and that S.B. a few weeks later against the pathetic Seahawks.

The thread about this on Jets Insider is gold. I would like to respond to it but I don't think I've drank enough to meet their argument criteria which consists of saying "douchebag" or calling someone "gay" in every post.

Hey, I'm a douchebag on that thread! I love that board, it makes them so easy to hate.

Don't forget 'cheaters', what a bunch of friggin babies.

I'm feeling good today, might go for the ban. It won't take much.

I think the dissent is based on the idea that Branch was performing a football move, and therefore didn't have control of the ball when he was called down. I guess it sorta makes sense, but it's not correct. Bottom line, he had possession of the ball with both knees on the ground when the defender touched him. If that's not down, then I don't know what is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back