PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PFW ranks Ty Law the #30 player in the NFL, and the #2 CB

Status
Not open for further replies.

PonyExpress

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
I happened to pick up PFW's season preview last week. In it their top 50 players in the NFL are ranked, and then players by position. Here is what it says:
"With a huge assist from scouts, personnel directors and general managers, PFW has ranked more than 400 players by position... We've analyzed each player on these criteria: overall pro career performance, 2005 season performance and career potential. PFW gathered input...the following rankings were built on a consensus of opinion." Ty Law is #30 overall, and #2 among CBs behind Champ Bailey. Also, Tom Brady was the #1 overall player, Seymour the #13 overall. Dillon was the #8 RB, so I guess people in the league don't consider him washed up- I don't either. Rodney was the #5 safety assuming he comes back healthy, and Bruschi the #6 ILB, Wilfork was the #16 DT in the NFL according to this list. Interesting, for conversation.

When Rodney is healthy he is the #1 safety. There is no one I would rather have more. Perhaps the lower ranking is due to his age.

Wilfork the 16th D-Tackle???? Thats kind of suprising to me, I guess I thought he'd be higher. I suppose he still is really young and fairly inconsistant.

What is Seymour rated as? A D-End or D-Tackle?

Last edited:
I wonder who ranks them and how???

It's ProFootballWeekly. They get a consensus from scouts, personnel directors and GMs in the NFL.

zippo59 said:
When Rodney is healthy he is the #1 safety. There is no one I would rather have more. Perhaps the lower ranking is due to his age.

When healthy Rodney Harrison is, at best, the #2 safety, far behind Ed Reed with everyone else. And I LOVE Rodney.

In my copy, I didn't even see Asante Samuel ranked with the Cb's but Ellis Hobbs got an honorable mention. How does Hobbs get rated higher than Samuel?

Asante Samuel is the victim of a lot bogus pass interference calls, and not just the one from the Broncos game.

Do you guys remember the season opener two seasons ago when Edge fumbled at the one yard line? Well, that was setup when Samuel got victimized by another bad PI call.

holyredeemer said:
In my copy, I didn't even see Asante Samuel ranked with the Cb's but Ellis Hobbs got an honorable mention. How does Hobbs get rated higher than Samuel?
I think other teams personnel people believe they can attack Assante deep with success (example: Lee Evans, Buffalo, and the KC game). There is some merit to this, which is why Assante would have a great career as the nickel back. He would be outstanding in that position. Hobbs intrigues people with his potential and his speed.

Last edited by a moderator:
even thought I'm still a Ty Law fan and wish him well, there is no way I would rank him in the top five CBs right now

I mean think about it, who would you rather have Ty Law or D'Angelo Hall? I think all of us would go with D'Angelo Hall hands down.

Deangelo Hall is a bit of hype. he was humiliated by the Pats last year. An Awful performance. Even in the game where he "made his fame", against TO in week 1, TO still had 110+ yards receiving. Granted To was injured in the SB, but Randall Gay/Assante Samuel did just as well in ma-to-man without the credit from national media. In contrast, Ty Law was the only CB in the NFL to shut down Steve Smith last year. I am not taking sides in this, but it is interesting to note...

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes