PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PFW camp predictions

Status
Not open for further replies.
great blog. pumped.

great blog. pumped.
On a quick skim, that does look like some good reading. I'll have to hit it later when I have time to read.
What is the most intriguing storyline of training camp?
For me it’s the health of Rodney Harrison. I know a lot of people would say Randy Moss here but I expect him to be fine this season and have a huge year. Harrison is coming off two season-ending knee injuries in the last two years. The guy is a warrior and the emotional leader of this team, there’s no denying that. I’ll be watching to see how he looks on the field. I believe Harrison is one of the few guys on this team that simply can’t be replaced because of his leadership, football intelligence and passion for the game.

- Tom Casale
Can I get an AMEN.

Used to be, opening day couldn't arrive soon enough.
Now ... i can't even wait for tomorrow.

If any one of our WRs doesn't pan out for whatever reason, its no big deal - Randy Moss included.

RB, and the DBs re much moe important for us at this stage.

Agree with Casale, a healthy Harrison is the most critical thing for this team. Given his awareness, heart, and leadership, he was able to lead a DB group a couple years ago who were put together with bandaids and chewing gum and win a Super Bowl. Preparing Meriweather for the NFL and whatever happens with Samuel will be buffered by Harrison. He has that much influence; although, I know this is not breaking news to anyone on this board.

Last edited:
Let's have a bit of fun with this and post our own clueless fan responses to each question:

The defense - who starts or earns substantial situational roles? Can LeKevin Smith steal some of Mike Wright's NT playing time? Where do the linebackers line up most often and will Eric Alexander prove the AFCCG start wasn't a fluke/desperation line-up? Who starts at CB/NB? Will there be a rotation at Safety to rest the "old" guy and give the up & comers more reps?

Which player will you be watching the closest?

Ty Warren - I'm really looking to see him win that first Pro-Bowl nod he earned last season. For younger guys fighting for a roster spot - Brian Barthelmes was Mr. Hustle/Aggression/Nastiness in NFLE this Spring, he's got one of the toughest paths to earn a spot on the team and it will be fun to see how well he does in Preseason against tougher talent after practicing against Wright/Smith/Brown/Moore & Co.

What will be the best positional battle of camp?

For starter - CB. For reserve - Safety.

Which player could be a surprise training camp casualty?

The one guy whom people seem to be overlooking is Artrell Hawkins. He has stiff competition for Reserve Safety, let alone Reserve DB.

Who is your dark horse to make the roster?

Corey Mays - he's battling Chad Brown and the rookies for a back of the roster spot (assuming LB gets 10 roster slots), let's see how the rooks do with pads on before penciling them in.

Will Asante Samuel report to the team during training camp?

No - Meion's trade set a precedent. Samuel would appear to be banking on one of the 31 experiencing a catastrophic CB loss/meltdown in Training Camp/Preseason and anteing up a trade offer and long term contract package that will land him in a new city.

Let's have a bit of fun with this and post our own clueless fan responses to each question:

Ah, now, if it's clueless you want, I'm your boy!

It's got to be the defensive backs. Who will be where? I'm with Box -- will there be a rotation at safety? Who will fill in for Samuel? Will Troy be working at DB?

Insofar as you can "watch" anyone from this distance, Meriweather. The Pats have expected their first rounders to start in year one (the exception being Warren). What's the plan for him?

Right Tackle

The one guy whom people seem to be overlooking is Artrell Hawkins. He has stiff competition for Reserve Safety, let alone Reserve DB.

"sniff" Say it ain't so, Box. "sniff" OK, just for that: James Sanders.

Chad Brown. :)

No - Meion's trade set a precedent. Samuel would appear to be banking on one of the 31 experiencing a catastrophic CB loss/meltdown in Training Camp/Preseason and anteing up a trade offer and long term contract package that will land him in a new city.

:agree: (but I'm not smiling about it).

I truly want to see Artrell earn a ring of his own after the way he stepped up for this team the past two years...but I would not be surprised to see him start the season on the shadow roster (and hopefully he's smart enough to turn down any offers for that chance to come back mid-season).

A lot of the posts before me mentioned the secondary. I like what I see.

Safeties, Asante Samuel, and Ellis Hobbs.

I'm glad to see everyone here's diggin' the potential db's for this season. I think we can say that at this point we could be pretty confident heading into the season (assuming Asante's on board). A plethora of safeties and two potential stars at corner. I'm really looking for Hobbs to make a steady improvement heading into his third year. And adding to the mix a first-rounder. Pretty nice

Last edited:
Plus, wait until everyone sees just how fast Thomas is when it comes to getting to the quarterback. It’s downright scary. This freak is going to push to be the NFL Defensive Player of the Year. Book it. - TC

hes gonna be a beast! cant wait till TC opens up tomorrow...

What player will show enough talent to spell Tedy and give him a few plays off once in a while. I think BB will switch things up and put Thomas at SILB for a few plays a game, but it would be nice to find someone else too.

Brady...He has to connect with the new receivers quickly. I don't want none of this it takes 8 to 10 games to get cozy BS.

Britt via a trade.

Gaffney/Caldwell, It's got to be. The numerous threads here have me piqued.

Mike Richardson "Bye Bye Asante"

No, I think his mind is made up to sit out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes