Welcome to PatsFans.com

PFT's Top 25 : #20 - Seau

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by T-ShirtDynasty, Jul 7, 2007.

1. T-ShirtDynasty

T-ShirtDynasty Moderator

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

Don't know how many have been following ProFootballTalk's Top 25 players of the past 25 years, but they revealed #20 on the list today, and it's Junior Seau.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/No20Seau.htm

2. JoeSixPat

JoeSixPat Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +147 / 2 / -3

Too bad he doesn't "get it" about Brady in his ranking. I like Florio and he's entitled to his opinion. But isn't football all about winning? Doesn't 3 SB rings count for anything? I'll take SB victories over flashy passing records any day - I think some of the QBs he has ranked higher than Tom would too.

3. ctpatsfan77

ctpatsfan77 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +949 / 17 / -8

#3 Jersey

And, in his flawed opinion, the top player at each position over the last 25 years has to be in the top 25. Hence, Vinatraitor is No. 25, but Brady doesn't make the list. :rolleyes:

4. PYPER

PYPER Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

It's hard to understand the lack of love for Brady. I'm especially purplexed on why he feels Aikman should be ahead of Brady.

Aikman was the ULTIMATE system quarterback. He played behind perhaps the greatest offensive line in NFL history which also helped produce the NFL's All Time Rushing Leader, Emmit Smith. Then there's Michael Irvin.

Brady has never had any of that type talent around him but has still managed to equal Aikman's three rings and Brady's numbers are far superior. In fact, Brady's worst statistical year is comparable to Aikman's best.

Here's how it should be...

1) Montana
    2) Elway
    3) Brady
    4) Manning
    5) Favre
    6) Young

5. grapedog

grapedog Practice Squad Player

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I think once Brady has a full body of work, after he retired hopefully many years from now, he'll be up there. Winning the SB is definitely the pinnacle of any football players career...but plenty of scrubs from Dallas to Pittsburgh etc. have won multiple superbowl rings, should they all be included on the list ahead of great players who never won a SB?

I think he stated pretty fairly why he is not including Tom Brady in the list, and I think he makes a good argument for the type of list he is putting together. Would I like to see Brady on the list, sure, but it's not super important. So he didn't make the top 25 so far in his career...I'm guessing by the time he finished, that list will look decidedly different...and he may make a big splash this year with a snazzy new receiving corp.

I can agree with his list so far, I think he's done a good job...we'll have to see how it all shakes out. Obviously a lot of players will get left out because there have been so many great players. We'll have to see how he handles the rest...

6. Aqua4Ever04

Aqua4Ever04 Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

If I'm starting a team, the only QB on that list I'd consider taking over Marino is Montana. The dude was simply the greatest passer ever, it's not his fault the Miami front office consistantly failed to surround him with servicable talent.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2007
  7. loosebearing

loosebearing On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

I agree but -
    Who is the higher ranking basketball player Bill Russell or Wilt Chamberland. In my opinion it's Russell because team games (vs golf and tennis) are about the result of the team because great team players adapt their strengths to the common good.

With that said where is Bradshaw on any lists - he was never statistically great but 4 SB's and 14-5 in the playoffs, while making all the play calls showed leadership at least equal to Brady (so far)

1 Montana
    2 Bradshaw
    3 Brady

Marino and Farve can play for my fantasy team but I wouldn't have either in my top 5

8. drpatriot

drpatriot Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

I disagree with you. I don't think it's that he doesn't respect Brady as a player - he says afterward that he could end up being the best quarterback of the bunch. However, he doesn't believe that he's been around long enough to justify being in the Top 25. I can definitely respect that opinion, and it's a perfectly legitimate point. He's probably only halfway into his career at this point, and there's a lot more Tom Brady left.

9. ctpatsfan77

ctpatsfan77 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +949 / 17 / -8

#3 Jersey

:rocker: From your keyboard to God's monitor. :)

Last edited: Jul 8, 2007
  10. stinkypete

stinkypete In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +41 / 0 / -1

#24 Jersey

It's a poor, poor decision. I can understand choosing Marino or Aikman over Brady, given they played full careers and Brady is only 7 years in. But to choose a kicker and a tight end over Brady (or Aikman, for that matter) is a joke.