PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PFT: Tomase taking Red Sox beat, Guregian #2 on Pats beat

Status
Not open for further replies.
On an NFL scale what happens on the field is heat of the moment. What Tomase did was premeditated, calculated rumor mongering. And he only did it to claim the scoop he feared someone else might have stumbled onto. And that fear was grounded in his own selfish need to break a story nationally so he could get ahead. To do so resulted in dragging an NFL franchise through the mud over something that never happened...for which he offered a half assed apology on the day the whole world found out the story was utter bull****.

After the story broke his pals said if it was true Belichick was history, and if it wasn't Tomase's career was in deep trouble. Only as the saga dragged on while every news outlet in the world tried to get a disgruntled golf pro to spill the beans, they circled the wagons around their chubby buddy insisting he was a great reporter who if he was wrong just got snookered... He had no source. Most of the reporters in NE had long known about the rumor and dismissed it as unsubstantiated sour grapes. Tomase had no first person source, but even when warned not to risk it he went for it.

Aside from being tormented by a segment of this fanbase, Tomase got off scott free. Not so much as a 4 game suspension from the braintrust running the Herald. Controversy probably saved the rag, in fact.

I still blame his editor more than him - given the fact that the editor (Hank Hryniewicz - someone correct me if I'm wrong) went with such an unsubstantiated story it seems to me that HE wanted to see the "scoop" in the paper and had no problem leaving Tomase holding the bag and dealing with the ire of the fans (and perhaps worse, as "beat writer" evoks a completely different image in regard to Tomase with most Patriots fans.

I had a feeling Tomase wouldn't be let go - while doing so would be questionable, Tomase could reveal much about what actually transpired when decisions on whether to print his story was being contemplated. I've never quite believed Tomase's "apology" - I think he took one for the boss to keep his job.

On an NFL scale, what he did was TERRIBLE ? Seriously ? I dunno. Spitting on a fallen oppenent during a game is worse. Breaking pinkies on the bottom of the pile is worse. He's just a reporter... he's not THAT important.

If you're a player who gets spit upon, you get up and beat the hell out of the guy who did it, be it during a play or not (sport dependent). End of problem. It's a one-and-done thing, and it doesn't impact the entire team.

What Dumbasse did impacted an entire fanbase, never mind 'just' the entire team.

Last edited:
Not really sure why he's so hated. Sure, I understand the fact that he reported a story without a legit source... but wait - anyone who thinks that's the reason for the loss... come on...

Every adult has screwed up at work. He has paid a heavy price - heavier than most of us would have. Long story short : Tomase is getting shelled more than necessary. NE didn't fail to win because of him. We should move on.
You have the biggest job interview of your life next Monday. This interview is the most important thing in your prefessional life ever. Succeeding in the interview will result in your fulfilling your life's ambition. You are about to prepare yourself for the interview. Someone prints a false story about you, so bad that it makes national headlines. He has had this story, but times the release of it deilberately on the day before you interview. On this most impiortant day, when you should be preparing, you are besieged by media, hounded, your professinal life called a lie. You fail the interview by the slightest of margins. You hold no animosity toward the person who released the story the day before. When he refuses to take responsibility, you say, "Oh, well."

Yeah, you would have failed anyway, and the Pats would have lost anyway. But that is not why people are mad at Tomase. It was the sheer meanness of what he did, the deliberate seeking of the limelight and never even caring if the story was true or not, just as long as it made headlines. There is not statute of limitations on disliking a guy like that.

If you are the rare individidual who always turns the other cheek, wouldn't say a mean word about anyone, no matter what they did to you or yours, I congratulate you. You are a better man than I.

But I suspect it doesn't bother you because it dosn't affect you.

So Tomase's still employed? Too little too late, and the Herald is still a crap outfit all around.

You have the biggest job interview of your life next Monday. This interview is the most important thing in your prefessional life ever. Succeeding in the interview will result in your fulfilling your life's ambition. You are about to prepare yourself for the interview. Someone prints a false story about you, so bad that it makes national headlines. He has had this story, but times the release of it deilberately on the day before you interview. On this most impiortant day, when you should be preparing, you are besieged by media, hounded, your professinal life called a lie. You fail the interview by the slightest of margins. You hold no animosity toward the person who released the story the day before. When he refuses to take responsibility, you say, "Oh, well."

Yeah, you would have failed anyway, and the Pats would have lost anyway. But that is not why people are mad at Tomase. It was the sheer meanness of what he did, the deliberate seeking of the limelight and never even caring if the story was true or not, just as long as it made headlines. There is not statute of limitations on disliking a guy like that.

If you are the rare individidual who always turns the other cheek, wouldn't say a mean word about anyone, no matter what they did to you or yours, I congratulate you. You are a better man than I.

But I suspect it doesn't bother you because it dosn't affect you.

Now this guy is good... the strongest argument I have heard so far.

No... I am definately NOT the "turn the other cheek" kind. Quite the opposite. But therein lies MY entire argument. I suspect most people care about things that affect themselves more than anything else. So, that gets me back to my original statement : I hardly understant why the rest of the gang (I guess every single person on here other than me) is so wound up.

We've known for a long time that it was a bad article, bad timing, shoddy work. I certainly didn't need the end result to see how it was going to end (the story, that is).

The entire point was : why do people care so much ? I'll throw it back at you - does EVERY single person on this board care SO much about others, the reputation of the organisation, etc... that they are so angry ? Doubt it. I'd say maybe, just maybe, if we win that last one - it eases things quite a bit for most. I could be wrong. Maybe I'm not.

...that's my angle, I guess. I just want NE to win all the time. I enjoy following them, it's probably my most intense hobby. Win. Every time out.

Don't care what analysts and writers say. Don't care if everyone hates BB (it's not true, but if it were...). I just want my team to win, win, win. Reputation ? Don't care. Handshakes ? Affairs ? Don't care. Win on Sunday. All I care about (in the football world). New uniforms ? 50th season ? Win.

When the home town newspaper runs that story the day before the SB, not only us fans but all the world assumes it to be true. Why? Because there would be SO much hell to pay in your own back yard for printing such a fictional and damaging story, no paper would EVER do it unless they were 100%X2 sure.

The other aspect of this was that by SB Sunday, Spygate was starting to be seen in its proper pespective - marginally bad but not horrible. Belichick still had his reputation and Spygate was being seen as part of his obsessiveness with film.

Then this story runs, which if true represented a very unethical act and a clear case of cheating in spirit (whether legal or not). Combined with Spygate, anyone would be justified in running BB out of football permanently, because it would have shown a pattern. When I heard it, I was shocked and very let down, assuming it to be true, and I'm a mad Pats fan and huge admirer of BB.

What's the rest of the football world thinking when they hear this story, with all the talking heads (including guys like Costas) running with this and condeming the Pats? My wife for example is a more casual Pats fan and she was like "how can you root for this team?" It truly took the fun out of being a Pats fan for a long time.

Remember, it was many months before this story was disproven, so for that whole time BB was guilty in the public court. And when it was disproven, that news got much less media play. There are still many nfl fans who think he did it, and regardless it cemented the "cheating" legacy for all intents and purposes. Without the false Rams story, Spygate drifts away as a footnote, and we as a fanbase wouldn't have had to deal with the media asylum for months and months.

As for the SB itself, the entire Patriots staff and organization was turned inside out for the 36 hours preceding the game, trying to find proof from 6 years prior that no such tape ever was done. It was a massive distraction. How do you think the players felt, with probably half of them now distrusting their coach? I think the whole sordid mess really affected the team's preparation and emotional level for that game, and definitely contributed to the loss.

And the Herald foresaw all these consequences and still ran it. It was journalistic homicide, nothing less. They can never be forgiven imo. I'm seriously surprised some fans didn't find some way to impose some frontier justice on the Herald or Tomase.

Last edited:
OK. Then if it's not about the SB, I'll change gears - I don't think he ruined an entire offseason, because it doesn't matter that much to me. Secondly, I do agree with you that it's bad journalism. I guess that's all I'm saying all along - it's only bad journalism, not the fall of the Roman Empire.

Excuse me, I missed the posts calling for his being tortured while watching everything/one he loves die a slow painful death. (Those were last year.:))

I've read how he should have been fired (or his editors fired) for shoddy reporting.

Is there a reason they're snubbing Guregian? Wasn't she the conduit for Ted Johnson's concussion tell-all? I wonder if she burned some bridges with the team on that one.

Tomase and the Herald are complete jokes. I haven't read them in years.

Tomase is also a moron for trying to stay in Boston for a job. He should have left town. The guy is going to be HOUNDED for the rest of his life here. I'll be one of the people giving him sh*t every time he writes an article, just like the hundreds of other people who make sure nobody forgets what he did.

I bet tomase gets heckled wherever he goes in Boston. Good, he earned it... tho he probably lives like a hermit when he's not working.

It's funny though, he felt spurned by BB, then plotted revenge. He's a vindictive jackass who tried to use his position and influence to defame one of the greatest coaches of all time. It's amazing that people like that are able to stay in the buisness so long.

Last edited:
As for the SB itself, the entire Patriots staff and organization was turned inside out for the 36 hours preceding the game, trying to find proof from 6 years prior that no such tape ever was done. It was a massive distraction. How do you think the players felt, with probably half of them now distrusting their coach? I think the whole sordid mess really affected the team's preparation and emotional level for that game, and definitely contributed to the loss.

And the Herald foresaw all these consequences and still ran it. It was journalistic homicide, nothing less. They can never be forgiven imo. I'm seriously surprised some fans didn't find some way to impose some frontier justice on the Herald or Tomase.

I completely agree that it DID affect the Patriots' performance in the game. How could it not? It distracted the coaches and players in one of the worst ways possible. It put doubt in the players about their coaches, and in the concept of fair play or winning honorably. If you don't think things like this affect morale or performance or 100% effort, take a look at discussion sites of companies accused of some scandal, there are always tons of comments from employees turning on their own companies even before the facts are out.

Tomase should be heckled and ridiculed his entire career in Boston. The fact he stayed in the region to work is moronic, he clearly doesn't even understand the severity of his mistake.

Last edited:
I agree also. This is a game that requires complete mental concentration. To have our team distracted for 36 hours before the game is absurd. In that game, one or two plays make the difference so to state definately there was zero effect is absurd.

Football September- February is important. It's not life threatening but what is? Career? Employment? Housing? 2007 is the equivalent of being a avid fisherman and finding someone polluted your favorite spot.

Also, what kind of turd udercuts the home team? Give the NYers credit. They actually helped their team. Without consequences, what's to say this would not happen again?

I completely agree that it DID affect the Patriots' performance in the game. How could it not? It distracted the coaches and players in one of the worst ways possible. It put doubt in the players about their coaches, and in the concept of fair play or winning honorably. If you don't think things like this affect morale or performance or 100% effort, take a look at discussion sites of companies accused of some scandal, there are always tons of comments from employees turning on their own companies even before the facts are out.

Tomase should be heckled and ridiculed his entire career in Boston. The fact he stayed in the region to work is moronic, he clearly doesn't even understand the severity of his mistake.

The Pats were known as a business-like group... when everyone was against them, they used it to their advantage... can't have it both ways. Either they are united, strong, us against the world, focused (as everyone says) or they the cowardly bunch who stop playing well in the biggest game of their lives because of a reporter... not buying the second one.

I bet tomase gets heckled wherever he goes in Boston. Good, he earned it... tho he probably lives like a hermit when he's not working.

It's funny though, he felt spurned by BB, then plotted revenge. He's a vindictive jackass who tried to use his position and influence to defame one of the greatest coaches of all time. It's amazing that people like that are able to stay in the buisness so long.
NOT only that..but TOTALLY unethical in what he did..supported by unethical edirors at that rag!!! And enablers here..who do NOT get it..clueless about journalism..and about many other things. Tomase should be OUT of here!! And all the heckling?? He earned every bit of it with his low life tactics..NO sympathy at all.

Yes, it's only bad journalism. But then, it's not like people are looking to fire him as medical director of a hospital. Journalism is the only job he can be fired from.

That said, there's one PLAUSIBLE scenario under which he deserves to keep his job. If he went to his editors, and said "I'm not sure whether this is confirmed enough; you make the call," they may rightly feel they own the decision.

Things are looking up already for this team...

...that's my angle, I guess. I just want NE to win all the time. I enjoy following them, it's probably my most intense hobby. Win. Every time out.

Don't care what analysts and writers say. Don't care if everyone hates BB (it's not true, but if it were...). I just want my team to win, win, win. Reputation ? Don't care. Handshakes ? Affairs ? Don't care. Win on Sunday. All I care about (in the football world). New uniforms ? 50th season ? Win.

I think what that says about you is you are different from the average NEP fan. You're new to the team, not from the area, didn't follow it prior to it's winning, and are apparently more a fan of winning. Doesn't make you smarter than the majority of us, just makes you different and less invested in the franchise. People who have followed this team since it's or their own inception resent the fact that a local tried to destroy everything they rightfully cherish just so he could experience his 15 minutes of fame as the guy who toppled a dynasty.

The media is fond of saying it's all about story lines. Well, Tomase wrote his own. When a player or coach makes a mistake on or off the field, and even when they merely don't coozy up to them, the media shows them no mercy. In fact in NE they most often incite against that player or coach under the guise of it being their journalistic duty to bring his transgressions to our attention. Oddly when the shoe is on the other foot and journalistic transgressions are the issue, the double standard in invoked and they all get all warm and fuzzy and forgiving... The good old boy network circles the wagons and all we hear about is job pressure and intent and how demanding consequences would only potentially hurt their families...:blahblah:

This is a large market media town. Guys are vying for air time and attention. Mediots position themselves to become part of the story and local celebrities as part of a career strategy. In doing so they become as fair game for their audience as the athletes they cover. Sadly most mediots here eventually end up embracing that fact and simply milk it for all the career opportunities it's worth. Tomase is just another in a long line of self righteous, judgemental, vindictive, egotistical sports reporting hacks just earning a buck at someone else's expense. Given the state of the industry as well as the economy, most of them would be unemployed now if not for all the winning that has gone on here and all the brand loyalty it has fostered.

Not to mention without all the winning the fan base composition wouldn't be so diverse...

I'd love to be that way, and have tried. But it def pisses me off when some mediot rips BB or Brady just to sell a few more papers, whether its Tomase or the TrackGals, the Herald seems to have it in for the Pats.

Not to mention, I will forever wonder what impact that BS article had on the preparation for Super Bowl 42, and if it played even a fraction in the Patriots not performing up to the level they had the prior 18 weeks. Given the difference between victory and defeat in that game was as small as imaginable, it makes it even more unbearable to think about.

Last edited:
On an NFL scale, what he did was TERRIBLE ? Seriously ? I dunno. Spitting on a fallen oppenent during a game is worse. Breaking pinkies on the bottom of the pile is worse. He's just a reporter... he's not THAT important.

You are sooooo missing the point.

He broke a very poorly researched story that was as damning to the Patriots as one can imagine given the already frenzied spygate media hysteria and he did it on the eve of the Superbowl in order to score maximum damage with it to his home team. Did I mention it was a Superbowl in which the Patriots were undeafeted and could have made history?

C'mon! You can't see the significance?

Then later, when everyone and their grandmother knew the story was false, he and the herald stuck by their story and refused to apologize. They finally did apologize (sort of) when the evidence was so overwhelming that they were exposed as the utter fools they were. Tomase came out with apology attempt #1, the non-apology apology.

Sorry, that isn't cutting it for me. Then the Herald took no public punitive action against Tomase. No demotion, no reassignment, no firing, no nothing!

So many of us boycott the Herald even to this day. For me, the wounds aren't healed and the boycott continues. I don't really understand what this latest move is (was he fired? did he just take another job because he realized we don't forgive him?). Whatever the case actually is, I'm just glad he no longer covers the Patriots.

I have zero respect for Tomase or his editors or the Herald.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back