PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PFT: Tomase taking Red Sox beat, Guregian #2 on Pats beat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Tomasse gone from Pats beat

still not reading the herald to little to late:banned:

Not really sure why he's so hated. Sure, I understand the fact that he reported a story without a legit source... but wait - anyone who thinks that's the reason for the loss... come on...

Every adult has screwed up at work. He has paid a heavy price - heavier than most of us would have. Long story short : Tomase is getting shelled more than necessary. NE didn't fail to win because of him. We should move on.

Last edited:
Not really sure why he's so hated. Sure, I understand the fact that he reported a story without a legit source... but wait - anyone who thinks that's the reason for the loss... come on...

Every adult has screwed up at work. He has paid a heavy price - heavier than most of us would have. Long story short : Tomase is getting shelled more than necessary. NE didn't fail to win because of him. We should move on.
His editors should have been whipped like rented mules for allowing that piece to run.

His editors should have been whipped like rented mules for allowing that piece to run.
The editors who did not question this AND knew better are definitely getting off of this easy..and THEY should have stopped it there!! Tomase SHOULD be paying a heavy price..like being GONE!! THAT very fact shows how clueless that paper is....to other enablers THEy do not get it either.

The editors who did not question this AND knew better are definitely getting off of this easy..and THEY should have stopped it there!! Tomase SHOULD be paying a heavy price..like being GONE!! THAT very fact shows how clueless that paper is....to other enablers THEy do not get it either.
Tomase should have had someone older and wiser sit him down and explain just where the lines are drawn as they put him on probation. His editors had the final responsibility and were the ones who should have kept him from being stampeded by any rumor of another outlet getting the jump on them. Garbage in, garbage out is an editorial breakdown. Tomase may have deserved firing, I don't know because I don't know all the details of his employment, he at minimum deserved a time out for remedial reflection, but his editors screwed the pooch...since then the publisher has joined that orgy of canine abuse. Sucks to be the Herald.

Last edited:
Too little too late. If the fat slob had a shred of integrity he should have apologized and resigned. I can only imagine what lies he will spout about the Sox now.

Yes... lots of people should share responsibility. Back to my original point : he wasn't responsible for mass casualties or for football losses. I think BB would back me up that the Pats lost the SB on their own. The fact that people are so wrapped up with one article is beyond me. Yes, it was ridiculous. But to take it to the point people on here have taken it is a bit over-the-top.

Last edited:
So the moral of this story is, if you want something with all your heart (say, like a major city baseball beat, preferably with your home town team) feel free to shoot your way off the jerkwater paper your stuck on by alienating said baseball team, which gets you noticed by Boston's daily version of The Enquirer, who nabs you for the Pats beat because it lives to dig up dirt on Kraft's team, then when you make the sports reporting faux pas of the century by unleashing a BS rumor on the eve of said teams SB - igniting a firestorm, you're treated like persona non grata in Foxboro, but the Herald lets you hang around anyway after you are finally forced to half-assed apologize, because it's not like it's easy to find outstanding out of work reporters in this economy...and voila, you get what you always wanted.

It's like an outline for his autobiography, Tomase: How I waddled my way to the top of my world in a dying industry and a down economy.

This is a promotion for tubby. He got what he wanted all along. Hopefully the rag itself will go under before the economy rebounds.

Yes... lots of people should share responsibility. Back to my original point : he wasn't responsible for mass casualties or for football losses. I think BB would back me up that the Pats lost the SB on their own. The fact that people are so wrapped up with one article is beyond me. Yes, it was ridiculous. But to take it to the point people on here have taken it is a bit over-the-top.

You're the one who seems to think this is all about the Superbowl. Nothing could be farther from the truth. He ruined it for us, for sure, but that's a whole other rationale for disliking him than claiming he cost us the game. What he did was unleash round 2 of a story that had already been overblown and :spygate: which then ruined an entire off season.

He should have been canned but the tabloid Herald rewards bad journalism because that's all they got.

This is a promotion for tubby. He got what he wanted all along. Hopefully the rag itself will go under before the economy rebounds.

They've got a billionaire down in New York who'd buy them back on the cheap so I'm highly doubtful they go under anytime soon.

And it's a "promotion" but to me it's a promotion to get rid of him and his problem- no more Tomase distraction, he rides out his contract or whatever else kept him in Boston, then they send him off with a glaringly good resume to some backwater paper to be their star reporter/columnist.

You're the one who seems to think this is all about the Superbowl. Nothing could be farther from the truth. He ruined it for us, for sure, but that's a whole other rationale for disliking him than claiming he cost us the game. What he did was unleash round 2 of a story that had already been overblown and :spygate: which then ruined an entire off season.

He should have been canned but the tabloid Herald rewards bad journalism because that's all they got.

OK. Then if it's not about the SB, I'll change gears - I don't think he ruined an entire offseason, because it doesn't matter that much to me. Secondly, I do agree with you that it's bad journalism. I guess that's all I'm saying all along - it's only bad journalism, not the fall of the Roman Empire.

OK. Then if it's not about the SB, I'll change gears - I don't think he ruined an entire offseason, because it doesn't matter that much to me. Secondly, I do agree with you that it's bad journalism. I guess that's all I'm saying all along - it's only bad journalism, not the fall of the Roman Empire.

Nothing on this site is the fall of the Roman Empire. However, on an NFL scale, what he did was terrible.

Once again I am SO glad that I was away in FL south of Tamper off the internet and sorta missed the entire Tomase debacle. When I heard mention at halftime I thought they were simply dredging up old, discretited news AGAIN and muted the TV. After the game, for very different reasons I shut off the TV and avoided all football news for a month. Missed it.

Last edited:
I feel sad for the Red Sox.

Nothing on this site is the fall of the Roman Empire. However, on an NFL scale, what he did was terrible.

On an NFL scale, what he did was TERRIBLE ? Seriously ? I dunno. Spitting on a fallen oppenent during a game is worse. Breaking pinkies on the bottom of the pile is worse. He's just a reporter... he's not THAT important.

Tomase should have had someone older and wiser sit him down and explain just where the lines are drawn as they put him on probation. His editors had the final responsibility and were the ones who should have kept him from being stampeded by any rumor of another outlet getting the jump on them. Garbage in, garbage out is an editorial breakdown. Tomase may have deserved firing, I don't know because I don't know all the details of his employment, he at minimum deserved a time out for remedial reflection, but his editors screwed the pooch...since then the publisher has joined that orgy of canine abuse. Sucks to be the Herald.
Oh..I agree...but that should have been done LONG before he screwed up..even after. The editors got a total pass on it..would NOT even address that the fact that a BUNCH of them had to okay it..almost like once Tomase wrote it that, that it was the end of it..gone instead of the so called gate keepers..poor editors that KNEW better. Did he not mess up with the reporting on the Sox a year or two BEFORE that??

On an NFL scale, what he did was TERRIBLE ? Seriously ? I dunno. Spitting on a fallen oppenent during a game is worse. Breaking pinkies on the bottom of the pile is worse. He's just a reporter... he's not THAT important.

On an NFL scale what happens on the field is heat of the moment. What Tomase did was premeditated, calculated rumor mongering. And he only did it to claim the scoop he feared someone else might have stumbled onto. And that fear was grounded in his own selfish need to break a story nationally so he could get ahead. To do so resulted in dragging an NFL franchise through the mud over something that never happened...for which he offered a half assed apology on the day the whole world found out the story was utter bull****.

After the story broke his pals said if it was true Belichick was history, and if it wasn't Tomase's career was in deep trouble. Only as the saga dragged on while every news outlet in the world tried to get a disgruntled golf pro to spill the beans, they circled the wagons around their chubby buddy insisting he was a great reporter who if he was wrong just got snookered... He had no source. Most of the reporters in NE had long known about the rumor and dismissed it as unsubstantiated sour grapes. Tomase had no first person source, but even when warned not to risk it he went for it.

Aside from being tormented by a segment of this fanbase, Tomase got off scott free. Not so much as a 4 game suspension from the braintrust running the Herald. Controversy probably saved the rag, in fact.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back