PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PFT: Times has anti-Pats agenda

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: PFT:"Times Has Anti-pats Agenda?"

Wow, I never thought that I would read something like that anywhere else but on this board. I am in AWE of PFT this morning. :eek:

Re: PFT:"Times Has Anti-pats Agenda?"

This is courageous reporting by Florio.

He risks alienating 95% of the football fans in the country by siding with the Pats, and the truth.

That is one of the reasons most sports reporters enjoy the story so much from an anti-Pats persepctive, it is like kicking a scapegoat on which everyone can agree.

Do I read between the lines of Florio's column the work of PatsfaninVA and fgssand, who together created the fantastic document FRAMe to set the facts straight on LIEgate?

The similarities are there, and I applaud Florio for his integrity and taking the time to sift through the facts.

Last edited:
PFT home of Belichick/Pioli to the Giants rumor last year? :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree...they BOTH have done a fantastic job!!! That Florio gets it is a really big deal...funny how the truth being a BIG deal in all of this!! Bravo!!! To those who got the REAL truth out on LIEgate..as well as Florio for seeing what the truth is amd how many in the media ARE anti-Patriot...

my only question is why didnt he mention this when the story broke ? about tampering, stuff going on since 1967 ...

my only question is why didnt he mention this when the story broke ? about tampering, stuff going on since 1967 ...

Because what was at the root of this reporting fiasco is something he was to some extent equally guilty of. Failure to have a clear and concise understanding of your subject matter.

Regardless of the reason, we think that the story shows at best a fundamental misunderstanding of the NFL...

There were always two seperate and distinct groups into which the media covering this story fell. Those who just didn't grasp how the game is played and the incredible insignificance of this offense in the grander scheme of things, and those who didn't care even if they did grasp it because they just hate Bill.

Last edited by a moderator:
Florio doesn't always get it right, but I think he does try. At the very least he doesn't seem to be agenda driven. In this day an age that is about as good as you can get.

What continues to amaze me is the lack of discussion as to what taping signals actually means. Ok, the Pats taped signals. What were they? Does that mean they knew what the next play was? If the "Pats cheated" brigade cannot prove or at least discuss how the Pats were able to use this information at the time of the taping (same game) then the entire story is a waste of time. This is what fascinates me. You would think there would be an entire HBO special to disect the specifics of the issue. Have a forum with one side believing this is the greatest scandal since point shaving vs. the other side who thinks this falls somewhere between Red Auerbach gamesmanship and free agent tampering. All we ever hear is "they cheated" without any semblance of exactly how this helped them. Remember that the Pats were doing this in broad daylight in front of thousands of people. No efforts were made to conceal the cameraman that I am aware of. Apparently some prior coaches actually waved while being filmed. If this was the covert effort that the media portrays this to be why wouldn't the Pats have been more stealth. If it was so importnat then why did we go 18-0 this year before the Superbowl? Us Pats fans know the truth- it was additional scouting information with probably little value. Bill did it because he leaves no stone unturned and thought he may be able to track trends on certain coaches for future use.

They forgot to mention that Espn , the Daily news, Gary Myers, Mike Lupica also have unfair biased against Belichick and the Pats..

I think its more against Belichick than the Pats, but they are one and lumped together..

Regardless, its just the idiots from the drive by media...

Florio floats rumors and fans the flames like there's no tomorrow....and because he is a "blogger", he gets free passes with the occasional "oops, my bad". Today, he is the defender of the home team. Days ago, the Patriots were stealing offensive signals. Yesterday, the stealing of offensive signals is worthless. I wouldn't be hanging my hat on his words.

The Times is flexing their journalistic muscles to get Belichick

suspended for a year. As I have stated previously, it is due to

a deep hatred for Belichick for embarrassing the Jets by turning

down the head coach's job.

I have been ashamed to have admitted I used to be an avid reader of the Times for a while now. Actually even longer than the whole Sygate stuff. They have been promoting yellow journalism for a while now. Apparently since readership is down so much. It isn't exclusive to this case.

All you have to look at that famous piece about John McCain a few months back to know where the NYT are. They basically accused McCain of being a womanizer and an adulteror based on rumor and innuendo. It was so bad that even many of the most liberal pundants came to McCain's defense.

If they can that irresponsible in their real news division, why would you expect a higher standard of journalism from their sports division?

Last edited:
Florio floats rumors and fans the flames like there's no tomorrow....and because he is a "blogger", he gets free passes with the occasional "oops, my bad". Today, he is the defender of the home team. Days ago, the Patriots were stealing offensive signals. Yesterday, the stealing of offensive signals is worthless. I wouldn't be hanging my hat on his words.

Florio portrays his site as a "Rumor mill". He doesn't claim to be offering facts in a lot of cases. He has a lower standard of journalistic ethics to maintain.

In fairness to Florio, he always thought it was splitting hairs about the difference between offensive and defensive signals and didn't think the Pats would get punished for what was turned over. He was just pointing out how the media were harping on this point.

I will be interested to see if Peter King writes about all this tomorrow. He has portrayed himself as the fair and balanced guy on this issue. I wonder if he will point out the hypocrisy of the whole media on this.

Florio portrays his site as a "Rumor mill". He doesn't claim to be offering facts in a lot of cases. He has a lower standard of journalistic ethics to maintain.

In fairness to Florio, he always thought it was splitting hairs about the difference between offensive and defensive signals and didn't think the Pats would get punished for what was turned over. He was just pointing out how the media were harping on this point.

I will be interested to see if Peter King writes about all this tomorrow. He has portrayed himself as the fair and balanced guy on this issue. I wonder if he will point out the hypocrisy of the whole media on this.
I would not bank anything on Peter King being fair and balanced (that phrase is so closely connected to Fox that it makes me ill), because he has hatcheted us in the past on this issue too often. Petey blows with the proverbial way the wind blows...

I have been ashamed to have admitted I used to be an avid reader of the times for a while now. Actiually even longer than the whole Sygate stuff. They have been promoting yellow journalism for a while now. Apparently since readership is down so much. It isn't exclusive to this case.

All you have to look at that famous piece about John McCain a few months back to know where the NYT are. They basically accused McCain of being a womanizer and an adulteror based on rumor and inuendo. It was so bad that even many of the most liberal pundants came to McCain's defense.

If they can that irresponsible in their real news division, why would you expect a higher standard of journalism from their sports division?

Good example besides the BB paper lynching.
Things are not what they used to be or at least what we thought they were.

I haven't read the thread yet, but I did say to my husband this morning (a native NY who gets the NY Times but is a die hard Pats fan), "Why the hell isn't the Times reporting on their own football teams? They have both ends of the spectrum to talk about - the SB champs and the crappy Jests, yet all they publish is these venimous articles on the Pats." They look like completely obsessed losers. The articles are just merciless. Let's hope Goodell has a brain (a nervous stretch, perhaps) and isn't believing the hype.

I haven't read the thread yet, but I did say to my husband this morning (a native NY who gets the NY Times but is a die hard Pats fan), "Why the hell isn't the Times reporting on their own football teams? They have both ends of the spectrum to talk about - the SB champs and the crappy Jests, yet all they publish is these venimous articles on the Pats." They look like completely obsessed losers. The articles are just merciless. Let's hope Goodell has a brain (a nervous stretch, perhaps) and isn't believing the hype.

Time to drop the NYT subscription.

Hell, most everyone else has.

Apparently the NYT's hatred of the Patriots has transferred to the new Indiana Jones Movie:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/10/m...t&emc=rss&oref=slogin&oref=slogin&oref=slogin

Using three anonymous reviews of the movie that were less than stellar on a movie fanboy website known to have a lot of bogus and plant reviews to disparage the new Indy movie before anyone has actually seen it. Have you no shame NYT?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots