PFT: The storm arising......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pats726

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
From PFT talk.....
A STORM IS COMING

One of the likely consequences of the current salary spending spree, in which plenty of cap room is being devoted to plenty of guys who aren't as skilled or accomplished as plenty of others already under contract, is a looming rash of locker room discontent.

The problem? The players who realized right place/right time windfalls in free agency are setting the floor for the future paydays of other players who regard themselves as "better" than the players who are getting paid tens of millions of guaranteed dollars.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

Now given the Patriots have been active....do you think this problem will arise with the Patriots?? Was Thomas's salary out of line?? Welker's??? Either Morris or Brady??? I really do NOT think so..but I wonder...if not here..from teh signings and extensions..what teams do you think could have problems???
Just curious what you think about all this...a storm hurricane or maybe some weak drizzle???

I think this is precisely why the pats struck early this year. $7Mill salaries for non-Pro-Bowl guards have to inflate the market. BB/SP anticpated this based on the increased cap space this year. By acting early on their targeted FAs, they avoid the unrealistic comparables established as the frenzy continues this season. Brilliant as usual. I love this team.

I agree with the premise of the article, but I don't think that the Patriots are contributing to the problem. Eventually, the Patriots will have to deal with the rising salary cap and pay positions that they don't feel should come with a premium price tag, but that is for next year. Already fans look at room under the salary cap and want money thrown to players. I think last year the Pats were 11 million under the cap and decided not to spend it, while fans and some media guys were calling the Pats cheap.

The troublemakers....

Broncos: Daniel Graham for 5 years, 30 million. Tony Gonzalez re-signed at 7 years, 31 million and that was a lot of money for a tight end. Granted these contracts are full of complicated requirements and there is always the possibility of being cut, but prior to these contracts, the highest paid tight end was Tony Gonzalez at $3 million (according to USAtoday.com 2005). Two years and it has doubled? You can't compare Graham's contract to Kyle Brady's meager 2 year, 5 million contract.

Cowboys: Leonard Davis? The bust? 7 years, 50 million and the largest signing bonus ever for the Cowboys. I guess you can't blow this one up too much and point fingers at the Cowboys when you consider that Davis was making about the same amount the last two years of his contract with AZ. But the largest signing bonus stuff has to stick with you.

Jags: The details of the Tony Pashos deal were not released. 5 years weren't cheap I bet.

Bills: Derrick Dockery and Langston Walker? LW gets 5 years for 25 million when he has yet to prove anything. Granted the guy is probably the largest guy you can ever meet, but he is also a huge disappointment. I remember seeing him on the sidelines wondering why that huge guy doesn't start, then wonder a year later why the Raiders OLine sucks so bad. Forget the fact that I have hardly heard of Dockery or thought he was a neglected pro bowler, but the guy just signed a 7 year 49 million contract. I love the fact that guys on the are getting paid because they determine how good your team will be, without them, your QB is worthless, but this is ridiculous!

The list goes on.

Marc Columbo.

Nate Clements. Great CB, but a lot of money.

Ahman Green and Travis Henry getting paid this late in their career? Green has proven nothing in the last two years except that he is capable of a couple good games. Henry some how resurrected his career after looking as if the Bills made a great move in dumping him off on TEN. Is 30 a bad age for running backs? These guys are that far off and I don't know what the teams are expecting from them.

Joey Porter. Maybe the Dolphins know something about that bum leg of his that no one else knew, even the Steelers.

Ovi Mughelli. I know Petrino needs a fullback, but I thought he went a big overboard to get his guy (at least I hope this was the guy he wanted).

I did think that AD was a bit old to invest the money in, but I admit that if the team gets 3 good years out of him, he will be worth every penny. I know way was this a earth shattering signing. Boston didn't just sign AROD, if you know what I mean.

I think this is precisely why the pats struck early this year. $7Mill salaries for non-Pro-Bowl guards have to inflate the market. BB/SP anticpated this based on the increased cap space this year. By acting early on their targeted FAs, they avoid the unrealistic comparables established as the frenzy continues this season. Brilliant as usual. I love this team.

I think, especially in the case of the guards, teams are badly overpaying for talent. By the time most of the players under pre-2007 contracts have gotten their turn:

A. The average team will be in just as much salary cap trouble as the average team was in 2005.

B. The difference in cap postition between teams that manage the cap well and teams that manage the cap poorly will be MUCH larger than in 2005.

All this despite the new cash against cap provision that effectively keeps signing bonuses in check.

I do agree..other teams ahve problems OVERPAYINg..and I bet some may wish to up teh ante ebven though they are NOT FAs....but I do NOT see any of the 4 they signed as at all causing a problem here at home..Internal is one thing..if guards prices seem to go up, they may concentrate a bit more on future linemen...I think they have done fine...

I wonder if Mr. Branch will end up wondering if he would have been better off (ie more money in the end) if he had waited for this huge payout free agency.

I can certainly see that some players signed in previous years might be envious of new contracts. But players also need to keep in mind that the pie from which each player's slice is coming has been getting bigger. A $5 million / year cap hit is about 5.6% of a $90 million salary cap. With a salary cap of about $109 million that translates to a contract with a cap cost of just over $6 million / year. I recall a very effective academic department head who always tried to get the best deal possible for new faculty even though that sometimes meant they were getting paid more than faculty with more experience. His rationale was that then he could make a stronger case to get raises for his more experienced faculty. So timing is everything. All else being equal, players who hit free agency in 2007 will generally get more lucrative contracts than those who became free agents in 2004. And at least a few will no doubt become very disgruntled and seek to redo their contracts.

I wonder if Mr. Branch will end up wondering if he would have been better off (ie more money in the end) if he had waited for this huge payout free agency.

I dout it very much, Branch got the deal he was looking for in Seattle.

From PFT talk.....
A STORM IS COMING

One of the likely consequences of the current salary spending spree, in which plenty of cap room is being devoted to plenty of guys who aren't as skilled or accomplished as plenty of others already under contract, is a looming rash of locker room discontent.

The problem? The players who realized right place/right time windfalls in free agency are setting the floor for the future paydays of other players who regard themselves as "better" than the players who are getting paid tens of millions of guaranteed dollars.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

Now given the Patriots have been active....do you think this problem will arise with the Patriots?? Was Thomas's salary out of line?? Welker's??? Either Morris or Brady??? I really do NOT think so..but I wonder...if not here..from teh signings and extensions..what teams do you think could have problems???
Just curious what you think about all this...a storm hurricane or maybe some weak drizzle???

Actually, I have no issue with the Thomas deal at all. He is probably the 2nd best player on the defense, and he had the second highest contract (after Big Sey).

The only thing I'd worry about is Warren's salary demands when he hits FA.

Actually, I have no issue with the Thomas deal at all. He is probably the 2nd best player on the defense, and he had the second highest contract (after Big Sey).

The only thing I'd worry about is Warren's salary demands when he hits FA.
I agree...which is why they may UP his salary at some point...a good way to keep some money on teh table ay some times..but in general I seee these salaries as lining up and NOT at all upsetting the Patriots structure...but other teams MAY have a problem...which is OK.
As far as the twig goes..he wanted his money then..and did NOT want to ahve to play a season before FA...If he had awanted to play FOR a lucratiove FA contract he would have stayed in NE..timing..well??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots