Welcome to PatsFans.com

PFT: Tensions Rise Between Umion, Players

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by Pats726, Oct 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pats726

Pats726 Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

ProFootballTalk.com - Rumor Mill

The current management of the NFLPA, however, isn’t keen on Vincent. He tried to launch a coup against the late Gene Upshaw earlier this year, and the thinking is that the folks who worked for Upshaw fear that Vincent would clean house and install his own people, if Vincent gets the job.

Though the issue has yet to reach a boil, the tension initially is taking shape in connection with the timing of the selection of a new Executive Director. As we hear it, the players want to do it sooner rather than later, and preferably not long after the season ends. The NFLPA wants to delay the vote. The thinking is that the NFLPA hopes that, through the passage of time, other viable alternatives to Vincent will emerge.

I find this interesting that some of the PAST regime is trying to hold on to power...NOT wanting to go forward. Corrupt?? Vincent is liked by the players and is a reasonable choice....the more that they are blocking him..the more it's obvious who the cronies are..and WHY they have to go. INteresting that they are not trying to get anything done with the CBA....I guess POWER is far more important.
  2. Gwedd

Gwedd PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +109 / 0 / -1

#61 Jersey

There is also the problem that Vincent might not only clean house, but perhaps discover all sorts of shenannigans that the old staff would like to keep quiet. Getting one of "their own" to be the new union head means that the old staff can keep their jobs and certain things, should they exist, will continue to be kept under wraps.

Not accusing anyone of anything, just speculating... as it were... :)
  3. taltos

taltos Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

There is another former player who I feel would be perfect for this job, Alan Page. Hall of Fame Member and judge. Seems like a perfect candidate.
  4. Pats726

Pats726 Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

I think in some ways yes...but he's an Associate Supreme Court Judge in Minnesota..I think he may wish to have a wider view of things and have more impact there than with the NFLPA...may be more like a step down...Might think if he wished to be involved he would have years ago... He's older as well...my thoughts are more for someone younger...
    As to any shenanigans... it's obvious there was a lot of time that Upshaw had to build his little empire...and the way some are scurrying around makes me think that someone like Vincent would clean house..and many would be out on their rear ends. Self preservation mode...I think more than covering things up..although that would not surprise me..maybe more pork and money spent lavishly than anything really corrupt.. A lot of those that are left are a bit entrenched and want to keep it that way. Upshaw was in for many years..so any change may be a real game changer.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.