PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PFT: "TB12 Not Interested in Social Activism"

Status
Not open for further replies.
The next time I rely upon an athlete, actor, or celebrity in any way, shape or form to decide a moral or social issue will be the first time.
I want TB to go through his reads and hit the open receiver, just like I wanted Orr to rush the puck up-ice. I don't need them to proselytize on the issues of the day.

A more accurate title would be "Brady Not Interested in Commenting on Rice or Peterson."
Exactly, he didn't want to comment on current social activism cases (ie. Peterson or Rice).
I think he has spoken on the "Social Activism" type issues in the past. However, regardless of whether he should or shouldn't speak about "Social Activism" in the future is a whole other story. The point is, most of the current articles that state Brady is not interested in speaking on social activism are kinda of misreporting. As you say Zeus, the articles should say "Brady Not Interested in Commenting on Rice or Peterson." However, they go as far to say he's not interested in speaking about the issue of "Social Activism" in general because he hasn't spoken about Rice or Peterson. Nonetheless, brilliant post by Zeus. :)

Last edited:
Look, Tom Brady has responsibilities and he has been shirking them to some degree. I don't need an article to recognize that. For a more efficient and potent passing offense TB has a responsibility to read definsove coverage schemes appropriately, then deliver the pass accurately, but also to spread the pass completions around not lock in on JE and Gronk). This responsibility hasn't quite been met, however, it is week 2 -- meaning it's a work in progress for for TB as well as JM, BB, the receiving corp and everyone else responsible for producing an efficient and potent passing offense.
TB also has a responsibility to be a father to his children, a husband to his wife, a member of his immediate family, possibly a friend to his closest friends, obey the law. Presumably he is satisfactorily fulfilling those responsibilities.

What TB doesn't have is any responsibility whatsoever to be a spokesperson or an activist on social issues. This is most especially true of the bastardized term "social justice" (generically a good term, borderline silly for how it's used by media). Yet if TB wants to satisfy the appalling likes found in the media (to play their warped game), he should do nothing more than have media experts prepare terse statements saying '<fill in the blank> is a bad thing''. Otherwise these same throngs of appalling media types will look to parse/construe his words for their own personal gain. That is what can be expected from these sorts who call so loudly for others to 'do the right thing' and stand on the bully pulpit to proclaim 'social justice'. Ultimately, though, it's best if he stays out of that twisted game they are trying to draw hm into.

I'd like to think TB, due to his wealth, uses some of this money to help support a good cause. Fanfare-less financial support for things like Clean Drinking water, birth control, World Wildlife Fund or helping to clear out a few of the billion empty Pepsi bottles floating in the oceans. I'd have a little more respect for him if I found that out, however, my respect for him is generally based on if he's a good QB and generally not a D-Bag.

The fact that Brady doesn't have anything to say about other teams or players is one of the reasons I appreciate him.

In all the years he's been with us, Tom Brady has slipped up once, when he claimed that he hated the Jets. Who can blame him for that? :)

Does anyone find it slightly odd that the NFL's top paid endorser - - the "Face of the NFL" who stars in 30% of all Sunday commercials (Buick, DirectTv, Gatorade, Papa Johns and now, Nationwide insurance) gets off scot-free, while all the ire for not commenting on another player from another team (which they have done for 15 years and is no different today) gets thrown on Brady and Belichick?

Does anyone find it slightly odd that the NFL's top paid endorser - - the "Face of the NFL" who stars in 30% of all Sunday commercials (Buick, DirectTv, Gatorade, Papa Johns and now, Nationwide insurance) gets off scot-free, while all the ire for not commenting on another player from another team (which they have done for 15 years and is no different today) gets thrown on Brady and Belichick?

Oh yes, of course. And I can only think that those who are down on Brady for not joining some make-yourself-feel-better-by-yelling-self-righteously-about-something-obviously-awful-that-actually-wasn't-your-business witch hunt are trolling.

Linking to a blatant click bait article, you've done exactly what Florio wanted you to do.
Agreed. PFT writes ******** articles about every team because they know people will get upset and then link it on social media so more people read it.

On a vaguely related note. How many patriots have their own charities? I know Wilfork does and I know Deion Branch has one as well
Not to disparage anyone for starting up their own charity, but unfortunately many celebrity/athletes create charities in order to finance family/friends who get appointed as well paid directors of the charity. The most corrupt charities distribute very low % of proceeds because "expenses" dominate the books. I golfed with both an NFL agent and the financial consultant the agent recommends to his clients....and they ran through the role of a player's "foundation". Top of the list....to create a source of income for family/posse so the player doesn't have to support them. Standard operating procedure.

As far as "activism" goes in the NFL, the big names have power and sway....and Brady had no problem vocally supporting the NFLPA during the last contract negotiation. I don't blame him for steering clear of this sh*t storm though. Focus on the job, avoid the noise. Kraft dipped his toe in it and was rewarded with scathing criticism.

That is EXACTLY why he didn't say squat. It would just be turned around to bite him in the ***. He and BB know not to say anything to the "media" when the "reporters" are scouring the blood soaked waters, looking for bits of flesh. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Just look at the radio response to Belichick's comments. In the process of saying basically, "No comment" he worded something poorly, saying he had personal respect for Rice and Peterson, and idiots are running with it like he approves of domestic abuse. Of course, had he just said simply "no comment", he'd be getting the Brady treatment.

Brady's taking the smart way out, here, by keeping his mouth shut. It's the route that players should take for every media opportunity, required or otherwise. "I'm required to speak to the media, but I have no comment at this time." should be the only thing players ever say during the mandatory conferences, and "I'm just here to play football" should be the only thing they say when it's not a mandatory situation. Enough of that, and maybe the NFL, NFLPA and the media will start to smarten up.

I agree, especially since most interviews just ended up sounding like this:

Funniest_Memes_you-were-sportsing-pretty-hard_814.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing