PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PFT: "Some are speculating Merriman to Pats"

Status
Not open for further replies.
merriman had the potential to be unbelievable and BB has always coveted the LT1 type linebacker. out of all the guys in the league today, id say only Ware and Merriman have that potential. its worth the shot. i hope we get him.

i have never been the biggest merriman fan, but to be honest, i can change my mind quickly

Fixed your post for you.

Not a fan of the guy, but to everyone saying he's done...

Seau was done. Moss was done. Harrison was done. And I suppose more knowledgeable fans than me can rhyme off even more names.

2 years ago when watching Shawne in a Chargers game you could see the fire and intensity in Merriman's eyes,sort of like a modern version of Mike Singletary but last night I saw no desire,no intensity and no fire - I think he has lost IT when it comes to being a dynamic LB - IMO The old Shawne Merriman has left his desire to be the best backer in the business away with his injury.

You mean, just like Randy Moss, or Corey Dillon.

As to the "WAS" comment, he's 5 games out of a blown ACL. He'll need time to get back.

Seau was done. Moss was done. Harrison was done. And I suppose more knowledgeable fans than me can rhyme off even more names.

The difference is Merriman was done a lot sooner, once he got off the juice actually... So you could say he never really was elite, in that respect...more like engineered.

The difference is Merriman was done a lot sooner, once he got off the juice actually... So you could say he never really was elite, in that respect...more like engineered.

So, he's just like Harrison?

If you don't think 2/3 of the NFL is on something, you're really naive.

Not anymore.

You're basing a pass rusher being "done" on 5 games after a knee injury, playing for a team that has been behind for significant chunks of almost every game it has played this year? And you're *****ing about Sample sizes in another thread? For real?

Whatever. :rolleyes: He didn't look all that good to me last night. I don't see why BB would be interested.

You're basing a pass rusher being "done" on 5 games after a knee injury, playing for a team that has been behind for significant chunks of almost every game it has played this year? And you're *****ing about Sample sizes in another thread? For real?

In his last 11 starts, Merriman has 2 sacks....That lack of production over such a stretch makes me pause and wonder where he is at physcially and mentally.

I don't think the comparisons to Moss, Rodney and Dillon are very apt. Merriman still seems to be in the recovery stages from his knee injury which I don't remember being the case with the other 3.

Sure it's a small sample. So is 40 sacks in 48 games. But he didn't look great before the injury and after his suspension. Since he hasn't produced much in a while why do we think he'd produce here later in the season? It's just plain hopefulness. Further, he'd have to learn to play disciplined football in our scheme and he'd be well behind the 8 ball not having been here through camp or preseason. It's just not worth trading any asset for him, in my view.

The reason that Merriman isn't himself is that his knees are shot.

Don't remember anyone speculating whether or not Harrison was done. Not sure where you're getting that, to be honest. Nobody really speculated that Moss was done either. We all saw the atheletic potential that he still had. The question with Moss was whether or not he had the drive anymore and/or would bring his Oakland attitude over to New England. Those were VERY justified concerns. However, Bill gave him the adjustment that he needed and Moss has been nothing but a joy to have on the team. The only person that we all could have speculated was "done" was Seau. That said, it's perfectly understandable to speculate that at his age.

As for Merriman, he is still very, very young and is still broken down. If you've watched Chargers games this season, you should have seen that he spends A LOT of time on the sidelines and, when he is in the game, he isn't exactly the impact player that he used to be. Now, if Bill wants to bring him in, IBWT. However, I just don't see it. Personally, I think these personnel moves are meant to bring in a viable third WR in order to keep Edelman in the slot.

Last edited:
So, he's just like Harrison?

If you don't think 2/3 of the NFL is on something, you're really naive.

I can't believe you are being that obtuse. Roids produce much more drastic effects than HGH.

Also, Merriman's knees are SHOT. He's damn near bone on bone in one knee..

The reason that Merriman isn't himself is that his knees are shot.

And he's off the juice. Even in 2007, he wasn't the player he was prior to that. Either way, those are two HUGE warning signs that the Pats management shouldn't ignore.

Merriman = Brian Bozworth (aka no juice, no good)

Did he even sniff the QB last night?

I thought reigniting the Peppers trade was funny but this one meant I couldn't get off the floor :D

I can't believe you are being that obtuse. Roids produce much more drastic effects than HGH.

Not to mention, you can test for one and not the other, so it's a much rarer, bolder/stupider/more desperate type who use Roids than HGH - to say nothing of the health effects.

But he didn't look great before the injury and after his suspension.

He didn't? He had 8.5 sacks in the 5 games after his suspension in 2006. In 2007 he had 12.5 sacks, and a career high in tackles. He got hurt in training camp/preseason of 2008.

Now, the argument can be made that hes not the same guy, but saying he didn't look great before the injury is pure crap.

Last edited:
Don't remember anyone speculating whether or not Harrison was done.

You mean, other than San Diego when they cut him, and he showed up in New England playing better than he had in years?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes