PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PFT: Seymour could miss season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Complications from arthroscopic knee surgery like staff infection or the scope surgery didn't do the job and now they will open it up to try to fix it. The former could definitely clear up within 6 weeks. The latter probably means gone for the season. Let's "hope" for the former if this is the scenario.

Anyway, worst possible case? We'll just have to play the season out with only *2* pro-bowl level D lineman. Oh wait! That 2 more than the Jets have right?

========================================

If only HGH was available to Seymour, maybe he would be ready week 1.

Not that Seymour would do such a thing of course.

Low blow dude..........

Look on the bright side. Your Jets will most likely lose week 1 but none of the guys on their roster taking HGH have been caught YET.

I love when Florio posts about the Colts and Chargers being in trouble it's always "He's so right."

But whenever he hears something negative from his myriad sources about the Pats, everyone abandons ship and claims it's just a bunch of crap.

I'm not saying Florio is always right, because he isn't. But Rumor Mill isn't exactly the right name for his site. His sources have been shown to be good enough that they're usually more than rumors.

But we shouldn't be so quick to dismiss anything he says if it's negative about the Pats. It happens EVERY time I post something from PFT. I can usually predict that the first three posts will be "What a load of BS. That's just a rumor."

for once, i agree completely.

Just saw it. I'm starting to get fed up with Florio and these BS rumors. First Randy Moss is cut, then Belichick is going to get nailed for tampering, now Seymour's leg is going to fall off....
No, you've got it wrong: it was Merriweather whose leg fell off! ;)

I love when Florio posts about the Colts and Chargers being in trouble it's always "He's so right."

But whenever he hears something negative from his myriad sources about the Pats, everyone abandons ship and claims it's just a bunch of crap.

I'm not saying Florio is always right, because he isn't. But Rumor Mill isn't exactly the right name for his site. His sources have been shown to be good enough that they're usually more than rumors.

But we shouldn't be so quick to dismiss anything he says if it's negative about the Pats. It happens EVERY time I post something from PFT. I can usually predict that the first three posts will be "What a load of BS. That's just a rumor."

Thats the thing with rumors sites (and gossipers in general) though, when you get one right........ everyone tends to beleive the next few you you come up with, until you're screw one up. Likewise, when you're wrong on one, all the rest will be sh!t until you're right again. It's just the way it is.

After the Moss ones, they're on a down cycle right now. I personally hope they are wrong on this one too. I tend to think they are, cuz there ain't NO WAY "league insiders" are gonna be privy to Sey's injury info. Hell, I'm convinced BB would tell Kraft that he's "day to day" if he asked. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Its like when guys on here find a website where a reporter says something like 'The Patriots are rumored to be signing Champ Bailey' then the reporter is considered to be very insightful and informative and we hope he's right...but if he says 'Richard Seymour is rumored to be going to be on IR soon' then he and his website is considered jerks and uninformed and he is a worthless columnist and its all BS ect

Its a one way street here most times at Patsfans - If you write negative things at all regarding anything about the Pats then your an A--hole - If its positive about the Patriots then you are a brilliant smart,talented writer

Life don't work that way folks....Try being unbiased,it makes for a good honest insightful opinion most times.

Um folks: J. Green, V. Wilfork, T. Warren, M. Wright, L. Smith, and K. Brown. That's 6 DL.

How many DL has BB kept to start each season of his tenure?
2006: 7
2005: 7
2004: ended with 7
2003: ended with 7
2002: ended with 7 (counting Willie McGinest)

There seems to be a trend there.

Mike Wright is recovering from an injury, Seymour is on PUP, K. Brown is a rookie with no clue how to play two-gap, L. Smith is a second year man who still struggles with his two-gap, which leaves three healthy, experienced DL as of today.

The fact exists that Seymour's situation has allowed BB two months to develop alternate plans. BB can bring Santonio Thomas off the Practice Squad, he could sign a street FA or even trade for someone's reserve DL. None of these options are particularly strong, and taken this late in the day would be a concern.

Based on these actions it really, really sounds like BB is making plans to be without Seymour in 2007...or not.

Of course there's now cause for concern. None of us has a clue what the exact nature of the problem is, but what we do know is that it's big enough to keep him sidelined from the offseason until at least the middle of the schedule. And that it involves the knees of a very big, very heavy man. Count me officially concerned until I see Big Sey back in uniform.

Seymour never seemed quite right last year. I'm not saying that there isn't a problem with the knee surgery, but I'm not discounting the possibility that he had some severe health issues to deal with...and not just with the knee. When was the last time Seymour was 100% physically? No way to know. The Pats have a large investment in Seymour and (to quote TO's ex-publicist) millions of reasons to get him completely well before letting him hit the field.

I'm not stupid (my mom will vouch for me) and obviously being on PUP is not a good sign. But if I were given the choice of having a healthy/rested/dominant Seymour in week 9, or a relatively healthy/slightly tentative Seymour in week 1...I know which way I'm leaning.

I am not with you PFT supporters. They throw all kinds of crap out there - they wow people when they're right and people shrug and forget when they're wrong. It's a lot of (interesting) mudslinging which legitimate media are starting to use as a source which is horrifying. The merging of actual news, rumor, innuendo and inbred news makes it impossible to have a clue.

We know Seymour was running in August. We know he's not ready to play now. Other than that we don't know.

Sucks that we cut Moss, especially now with Caldwell gone.

:bricks:

Last edited:
The Pats have a large investment in Seymour and (to quote TO's ex-publicist) millions of reasons to get him completely well before letting him hit the field.
This is exactly what I'm thinking. Seymour needs time to heal completely, and the talent level of the team has purchased that time. Jarvis Green will sub adequately and he will be back after the new year.

Don't forget that the Patriots thrashed the Colts and the Steelers in the 2004 playoffs without Seymour.

Complications from arthroscopic knee surgery like staff infection or the scope surgery didn't do the job and now they will open it up to try to fix it. The former could definitely clear up within 6 weeks. The latter probably means gone for the season. Let's "hope" for the former if this is the scenario.

Anyway, worst possible case? We'll just have to play the season out with only *2* pro-bowl level D lineman. Oh wait! That 2 more than the Jets have right?

That actually dovetails nicely with a story that just was reported on Tomase's blog

http://www.bostonherald.com/blogs/sports/patriots/?p=1548

This was tucked at the bottom of today’s Patriots notebook, but it’s worth noting, simply because there’s been precious little to report about Richard Seymour’s surgically repaired left knee — Seymour was spotted working out in the weight room on Monday, wearing a sleeve that covered virtually his entire leg. He appeared to be moving OK, for whatever that’s worth.

Seymour is on the physically unable to perform list and will miss at least the first six games of the season. It’s possible he suffered a setback of some kind this month, because in early August he was running through a series of agility drills on a side field with other injured players, like Kyle Brady, and he didn’t appear to be favoring either leg at the time.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I beleive leg sleeves are a common tool in treating post-op leg infections (like Lymphedema or other things like that). Seems to me, if it were isolated to the knee (such as an issue requiring surgery), there woud be no need for a whole leg sleeve. Perhaps it's just an infection.

I'm not a doctor, but I did sleep at a holiday express last night :rolleyes:

All wild speculation, but when I read it, I thought immediatly of this post (above) and thread. I agree, if it's an infection, hopfully that something they can knock back by week 6-8 and he'll be available when we need him at the end of the season.

Last edited:
Thats the thing with rumors sites (and gossipers in general) though, when you get one right........ everyone tends to beleive the next few you you come up with, until you're screw one up. Likewise, when you're wrong on one, all the rest will be sh!t until you're right again. It's just the way it is.

After the Moss ones, they're on a down cycle right now. I personally hope they are wrong on this one too. I tend to think they are, cuz there ain't NO WAY "league insiders" are gonna be privy to Sey's injury info. Hell, I'm convinced BB would tell Kraft that he's "day to day" if he asked. :rolleyes:

One right makes up for 5-10 wrong. And you can take that to the bank.

miss_cleo.jpg

The truth on this one is that we have no idea whatsoever about Seymour's injury status and we won't have until week seven when he either goes on the roster or on IR.

The culture of secrecy around Pats injuries makes this pretty easy fare for sites like PFT as there's only one way they can be proven right or wrong and that's when the big man in the grey hoodie speaks.

But like others, I enjoy their idle speculation when it appears to be hurting our rivals and so you have to take it on the chin when it concerns the Pats.

In Florio's defense, this is entirely plausible. I could easily see Seymour missing the season, given the nature of his surgery and the complications that can come with it.

However, the Moss rumor was ludicrous for two reasons. One, it operated on the broad assumption that Moss' lack of practice time equated to potential turmoil that put his roster spot in doubt. In reality, he wasn't practicing for the exact reasons Reiss and others theorized.

Two, what in BB's history suggests he would allow anyone in his inner sanctum to reveal the most intimate of details of what the organization was REALLY thinking on a particular player? The details Florio was throwing out there, like Moss possibly becoming upset about being a decoy as a reason to cut him, even if true, would have never been available to Florio. It was speculation by himself and others reported as rumor. I guess if you call enough people and enough people have the same theory, it becomes a rumor.

That was a red flag right off the bat for me.

Last edited:
I am a fan of PFT...and I'd say if you are NOT a fan...then don't read his site. Regardless of what you think about rumors and innuendo...just don't read it, and don't belittle people who do find his site useful and enjoyable.

I've seen plenty of ESPN articles that just throw crap against the wall...but, they are ESPN so they can do it and it's ok? THis is all not considering the fact that PFT is not "run" by the NFL, so he can say whatever he wants...which is nice. Reading the brainwashed drivel in most other publications makes me vomit quite often. For example, for quite a long time he was the only place that you could really see continuing coverage of the whole Michael Vick saga. He doesn't have to edit his thoughts for anyone...which is excellent...but I like reading actual news, not just what the NFL WANTS me to read.

So what if his rumors are wrong...oddly enough a large portion of what he writes are not rumors at all.

i really hope Big Seymour will return after week 6

let's hope it will happens

Eh...It is a rumour from a leauge source out in the ether. Sometimes you get a hit, sometimes you get a miss. Remember how we were all to write down the David Harris pick. It is the rumour mill after all.

I would be worried if Schefter reported it, that guy seems to have mole in the organization.

I am of the crowd that generally thinks, where there is smoke, there is a fire, but I think these guys are spitting bs.

I don't think they have anymore inside information than what we have.

They are just fishing.

These guys are turning out to be like weathermen.

Guys, all Florio is doing is telling you what he hears at the NFL water cooler. Many of these rumors are wishful thinking or pure opinion - just by league insiders. The same guys who told Borges that Thomas is overrated and Moss can't run. It exists but it's still just opinion.

For example, if Don Criqui were not an annoucer, but worked in some staff position in the NFL, we'd now have a rumor out there right now that "CJ Jones was a lock to make the 53 man roster" because he thought so once.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back