PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PFT RUMOR: Vince Young scored a six on the Wonderlic test??

Status
Not open for further replies.
shirtsleeve said:
Hey, if 6 is good enough for President, its good enough for QB! :D

:eek: :bricks:

Sorry, just came back from the political forum. A 6 indicates a possible skip of an answer, to me. He may have been coloring the circle for #5, but answering #6, etc. for the entire test. Having never taken the test, I'm assuming an answer format like this?
Not all the questions are multiple choice.

That has to be one of the lowest wonderlic scores for a QB ever. However, plenty of players have scored pretty low and became darn good football players. Vince Wilfork scored pretty low and it seemed like he had a slight learning curve{like all rookies do} but he caught on by around mid-season. I know QB is different though so we will have to just wait and see I guess.

I guess it doesn't measure the 'heart' of a player. He sure carried Texas on his back when they won the Rose Bowl. What a great player.

re:

OK. I just looked over the Wonderlic questions. There are some tricky questions, but even Forrest Gump could have scored a 10 on this test.

I have a new theory. Vince Young is actually a genius.

He purposely got one of the lowest wonderlic scores ever, in order to cause his stock to drop. He knows the Saints are a mess, he doesn't fit Norm Chow's offense at Tennessee, and the Jets are also a mess.

He wants to go to a contender and be an immediate winner. My prediction (if this article was true): he will be picked by the Chicago Bears at #26!!!!

Last edited:
dyslexia, for example

patchick said:
A score of 6 for an obviously normal-functioning human being means one of two things:
1. Reading/literacy problems
2. Panic/choking
But no, it's not impossible -- and despite what PFT said, it's not even unheard of. RB Frank Gore scored a 6 last year, was taken in the 3rd round and had a decent rookie season. But he's not a quarterback.
SI said, years ago, that Cris Collinsworth scored 1 point below perfect (49?) and that lowered his draft status. players with scores above 45 are thouught to be inquisitive, argumentative, trouble in film sessions and on the field.
i'd heard that steve mcnair scored a 12, and that some teams were "worried" about his being able to pick up an nfl offense.
but i never heard of 6.
a reading disability would explain some of this.
i think it shines a glaring spotlight on mack brown and The University of Texas.
now we'll see agents setting up private "intelligence tests" so players' status won't be sunk by a wonderlic score.

re

I just found this article:
http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1208/is_12_223/ai_54245995

Akili Smith got a 37 (for comparison, Steve Young got a 33).

This article is interesting though; it says Smith got a 12 the first time he took it, and after his agent hired a test prep teacher, Smith got the 37 score.

I also found QB wonderlic scores of QB's in the past 5 years:
http://www.unc.edu/~mirabile/Wonderlic.htm

Alex Amith got a 40 and he is a horrible QB. McNabb got a 12 and Dan Marino got a 14 when he took it.

The wonderlic is not an essential test or predictor of NFL success. It has nothing to do with how players visual moving objects in space.

Last edited:
maverick4 said:
OK. I just looked over the Wonderlic questions. There are some tricky questions, but even Forrest Gump could have scored a 10 on this test.

I have a new theory. Vince Young is actually a genius.

He purposely got one of the lowest wonderlic scores ever, in order to cause his stock to drop. He knows the Saints are a mess, he doesn't fit Norm Chow's offense at Tennessee, and the Jets are also a mess.

He wants to go to a contender and be an immediate winner. My prediction (if this article was true): he will be picked by the Chicago Bears at #26!!!!
Give me a break... all they all care about is the money. If you aren't kidding, then you better get to a therapist, because your bias is out of control.

Last edited:
drew4008 said:
Give me a break... all they all care about is the money. If you aren't kidding, then you better get to a therapist, because your bias is out of control.
Oh, come on, players tank to get drafted lower all the time :D

:bricks:

re:

That was meant to be a joke, but I'm sorry it wasn't obvious enough for some people!!

why al da bickerin? its just werds an stuf!

semantics guys. I say pot-A-to you say po-TAH-to. I'm laying even money Vince isn't exactly Harvard Med School material but he'll be an effective NFL QB with a year or two seasoning.... :rocker:

Great Post Maverick4

Very interesting material..... Thanx, Mav4!

Here's a link to a sample wonderlic:

http://www.wonderlic.com/pdf/wpt.pdf#search='sample%20wonderlic%20test'

It actually has the question "what is the ninth month?" So I;m suspicous of the 6 score.

I read an interview with him on ESPN, and he said all the right things. And how can you dis a guy who says this?

Question: Is there one thing you are going to give to your family when you sign your NFL contract?

Young: My mom can get anything she wants. I'm not a big fancy guy and I don't like a lot of material things. Just get a few things I want and let that money stack up.

Brady#12 said:
Vince young = M.Vick with more pocket pressence?

...Vince Young. The not so "stupider" version of Michael Vick. Has a nice ring to it. I say the Saints draft him. He is a much better version of the guy he is replacing.

He didn't do all that bad in the bowl game...did he?

FreeTedWilliams said:
Here's a link to a sample wonderlic:

http://www.wonderlic.com/pdf/wpt.pdf#search='sample%20wonderlic%20test'

It actually has the question "what is the ninth month?" So I;m suspicous of the 6 score.

I read an interview with him on ESPN, and he said all the right things. And how can you dis a guy who says this?

Question: Is there one thing you are going to give to your family when you sign your NFL contract?

Young: My mom can get anything she wants. I'm not a big fancy guy and I don't like a lot of material things. Just get a few things I want and let that money stack up.

Tell him I'll stack it for him free of charge.

Could be in a CD, index fund or bonds, but I promise to give him back exactly what he gave me in ten years.

Now where can you get a deal like that? :D

Now they are saying that his test was incorrestly scored. Young and some other players' test will be rescored and the results will be given to teams later this week.

Young scored a 16 now. Not great, but better than a 6.

workhorse said:
Young scored a 16 now. Not great, but better than a 6.

On a retake, according to the article below. If the guy is not a top 5 or so pick, does he get a second chance? I don't think so.

The latest buzz about Texas quarterback Vince Young at the NFL Scouting Combine: his score on the 50-question Wonderlic Test. It was reported to NFL general managers Saturday that Young correctly answered just six of the 50 questions on the 12-minute exam designed to test logic and cognitive ability. Then came reports Sunday that Young was allowed to retake the test and that he scored a more respectable 16.
-- Austin American-Statesman

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/scorecard/02/27/truth.rumors.nfl/index.html

On EEI this morning they were saying that Young's score has more to do with him hiring a family friend as an agent, in lieu of a experienced NFL agent, than his intelligence. It was first time that Young had even seen the Wonderlic test. How can anyone call themselves an agent and not at the very least, have your guy take the wonderlic ten times before the combine. Hell it's not rocket science, you can download sample questions write at wonderlic.com. I am always amazed at how bad some agents are: the Postons constantly cost thier player's money, and not being prepared for the combine. how does that happen. The drills they run and the test they do, are always the same. They even have combine specific training centers (run by the agents) for this purpose. This bad score is going to allow Young to drop and someone is going to be very happy that he did. Ask yourself who had more talent around him Lienart or Young? Clearly Lienart on the offensive side of the ball. Yet who won the game? Young is a close friend of Steve McNair and talks to him everyday. If he ends up being anything like McNair, and by all accounts Young is a much better athelete, he will be a great NFL QB.

FreeTedWilliams said:
On EEI this morning they were saying that Young's score has more to do with him hiring a family friend as an agent, in lieu of a experienced NFL agent, than his intelligence. It was first time that Young had even seen the Wonderlic test. How can anyone call themselves an agent and not at the very least, have your guy take the wonderlic ten times before the combine. Hell it's not rocket science, you can download sample questions write at wonderlic.com. I am always amazed at how bad some agents are: the Postons constantly cost thier player's money, and not being prepared for the combine. how does that happen. The drills they run and the test they do, are always the same. They even have combine specific training centers (run by the agents) for this purpose. This bad score is going to allow Young to drop and someone is going to be very happy that he did. Ask yourself who had more talent around him Lienart or Young? Clearly Lienart on the offensive side of the ball. Yet who won the game? Young is a close friend of Steve McNair and talks to him everyday. If he ends up being anything like McNair, and by all accounts Young is a much better athelete, he will be a great NFL QB.

Failing to hire a qualified agent is a hardly a sign of intelligence.

Whatever number they come up with, NFL scouts will have questions about his maturity and competence and they should.

re:

Making a mistake in hiring an agent doesn't say anything about playing ability or intelligence. LeBron James hired his friend to be his agent, but he's still a great basketball player.

The maturity issue is valid though, I think. Young just didn't take the first test seriously.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey