PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PFT RUMOR: Vince Young scored a six on the Wonderlic test??

Status
Not open for further replies.

DefenseRules

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm
VINCE IS STOOPID?

A league source tells us that there's a rumor making the rounds at the combine that Texas quarterback Vince Young scored a miserably horrible six on the Wonderlic test.

A six! That's bad. It's beyond bad. In fact, it's the lowest score that we can ever remember hearing anyone getting.

All incoming NFL players take a 50-question version of the Wonderlic, with a 12-minute window within which to finish it.

We found 15 sample Wonderlic questions on ESPN.com's page 2, including such brain-benders as selecting the ninth month of the year from among five possible choices. We'd like to think that most people of average intelligence could get at least six of the 15 sample questions right.

Getting a total of only six out of a total of 50 questions of that same kind is pa-freakin'-thetic. For a guy who's going to be called upon to read defenses and call audibles and work through a progression of receivers against NFL-caliber opposition, it's downright scary.

The source tells us that he hasn't seen the result in writing yet, but that he's "99 percent" certain that Young's score was six.

Said the source, who knows a thing or two about evaluating college players:
"I predict he'll fall all the way out of the first round."

That's a bold statement, and we're not saying that we agree with it -- primarily because our guess is that there's someone almost dumb enough to get a six on the Wonderlic, who'll overlook Young's low score along with any other concerns that might come to light over the next two months.

Wow! :eek:

:eek: :eek:

ouch this might hurt him quite alot

Bring up the Jets trading up to get Cutler thread... I think I received a bit of criticism for saying he was stupider than a gorilla. Am I still wildly biased in that assessment? This guy an NFL QB... give me a break.

drew4008 said:
Bring up the Jets trading up to get Cutler thread... I think I received a bit of criticism for saying he was stupider than a gorilla. Am I still wildly biased in that assessment? This guy an NFL QB... give me a break.

he's going to have a tough time in this league if he gets his chance :eek:

drew4008 said:

That site is like boston dirt dogs. Pure speculation. Their 'about' section even admits they don't adhere to journalistic standards.

If this report is true, it will hurt Young's draft position. But I don't believe this report to be trustworthy.

Also Drew, you embarass yourself by repeatedly saying Young is 'stupider than a gorilla', when 'stupider' isn't even a word.

maverick4 said:
Also Drew, you embarass yourself by repeatedly saying Young is 'stupider than a gorilla', when 'stupider' isn't even a word.

Vince young = M.Vick with more pocket pressence?

maverick4 said:
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=stupid

stu·pid P Pronunciation Key (stpd, sty-)
adj. stu·pid·er, stu·pid·est
Slow to learn or understand; obtuse.
Tending to make poor decisions or careless mistakes.
Marked by a lack of intelligence or care; foolish or careless: a stupid mistake.
Dazed, stunned, or stupefied.
Pointless; worthless: a stupid job.

n.
A stupid or foolish person.

Either way... insulting someone's computer language isn't much of an indicator of their intelligence when you have the likes of "ur", "wanna", "wen", etc. on nearly every thread. And I don't think I'd score a 6...

Last edited:
I thought it was established that the wonderlic is pointless. Or is that only when the guy is drafted by the Patriots?

Last edited:
huskeralk said:
I thought it was established that the wonderlick is pointless. Or is that only when the guy is drafted by the Patriots?
I was under the impression you had to be able to think if you were a QB. Brady (and Manning if we must...) dedicate so much time to going over film, studying the playbook, and just having an overall excellent knowledge of the game. For some positions like DL, I would agree it's not as important, but for QBs, it is a useful test.

drew4008 said:
...when you have the likes of "ur", "wanna", "wen", etc. on nearly every thread. And I don't think I'd score a 6...

Hmmm... Drew, I stand corrected on 'stupider'. They must've changed changed the dictionary since I was in grammar school. Anyway, you are free to browse through other posts I have made; I don't use 'ur', 'wanna', 'wen'... you must be confusing me for another poster.

Back to the thread:

I think a decent wonderlic is a must for QB's. The QB has to watch film, understand how to attack a defense, make adjustments, and run the show on the field.

I really hope this report isn't true, but if it is, I think Vince's stock plummets. It would be a shame because Young looks like he could be a better version of McNair and Vick.

Is it possible that he just didn't care about the test?
There are many players who don't think it's a big deal. Maybe, Young is one of them.

Last edited:
drew4008 said:
I was under the impression you had to be able to think if you were a QB. Brady (and Manning if we must...) dedicate so much time to going over film, studying the playbook, and just having an overall excellent knowledge of the game. For some positions like DL, I would agree it's not as important, but for QBs, it is a useful test.

Well, Bledsoe had one of the highest wonderlicks, we all can see how that's working for him and his decision making. Marino on the other hand had a very low wonderlick. Funny how that works out.

re:

The reason I don't think this is real is because a score of '6' is low. Ridiculously low.

The questions on that test are almost common sense type questions (like what is the 9th month of the year?).

I don't know Vince Young. Maybe he is that stupid. But I highly doubt it.

if he was that stupid surely someone else would of picked it up before now?

maverick4 said:
The reason I don't think this is real is because a score of '6' is low. Ridiculously low.

The questions on that test are almost common sense type questions (like what is the 9th month of the year?).

That's what I'm saying. Maybe he just didn't care about the test, because I can't believe that he's that stupid. PFT might be full of it, but hey, they reported the release of Starks before our own local reporters did. They have some credibility.

Last edited:
Just like in "The Program" with the LB that could read offenses easily but could barely read, some people just get it on the football field and don't in the classroom.

I watched Vince Young mature as a QB in his three years at UT. He's not just some stupid athlete with physical talent. He learned how to play the QB position, you could see him evolve. The guy had the highest efficiency rating in college football this past season, he has to know a thing or two about understanding defenses.

maverick4 said:

I took the Wonderlic test last year for grad school and got a 35. There were some gimmies and some real head scratchers too. Every question requires you at least think a little, making it not about "what you know" but about "how you think".

Brady#12 said:
if he was that stupid surely someone else would of picked it up before now?
If you listened to his interviews, you could pick it up that he wasn't a brainiac, but like someone else said, 6 is incredibly low. Didn't anybody see that sample test? The first 8 questions were automatic, not to mention the oppotunity to get another 40 right. You can debate how much of an impact this has on his translation to the pros, but one thing for sure is that it will only hurt him.

Last edited:
maverick4 said:

A score of 6 for an obviously normal-functioning human being means one of two things:

1. Reading/literacy problems
2. Panic/choking

But no, it's not impossible -- and despite what PFT said, it's not even unheard of. RB Frank Gore scored a 6 last year, was taken in the 3rd round and had a decent rookie season. But he's not a quarterback.

Hey, if 6 is good enough for President, its good enough for QB! :D

:eek: :bricks:

Sorry, just came back from the political forum. A 6 indicates a possible skip of an answer, to me. He may have been coloring the circle for #5, but answering #6, etc. for the entire test. Having never taken the test, I'm assuming an answer format like this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back