PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PFT: Players who are slipping

Status
Not open for further replies.
maverick4 said:
Is it just me, or do all the prospects with Hawaiian-sounding last names always end up being good NFL players?.

Kiwanuka's from Uganda. You wouldn't mistake him as a Hawaiian if you saw him.

I'd take Kiwanuka in the 2nd round if he was still there, even if Lawson or Greenway is the 1st round pick. Can never have too many linebackers. The only problem is he got absolutely dominated by Ferguson in the Senior Bowl and didn't do too well against the best college tackles during the season (he didn't do well against teammate Trueblood in Senior Bowl practices, either, and Trueblood's a mid-round pick). People have pointed him dropping into coverage as a reason for less production, but I don't buy it. I'm a BC guy, and for all his hype he was never really that noticeable. Washington was a better college defensive lineman.

primetime said:
Kiwanuka's from Uganda. You wouldn't mistake him as a Hawaiian if you saw him.

I'd take Kiwanuka in the 2nd round if he was still there, even if Lawson or Greenway is the 1st round pick. Can never have too many linebackers. The only problem is he got absolutely dominated by Ferguson in the Senior Bowl and didn't do too well against the best college tackles during the season (he didn't do well against teammate Trueblood in Senior Bowl practices, either, and Trueblood's a mid-round pick). People have pointed him dropping into coverage as a reason for less production, but I don't buy it. I'm a BC guy, and for all his hype he was never really that noticeable. Washington was a better college defensive lineman.

The idea Kiwanuka was "dominated" by Ferguson, and now Trueblood has been vastly overstated to the point of becoming an urban myth. Kiwi was hurt by his own lack of proper technique but still gave Ferguson all he could handle. Some scouts saw this and downgraded Kiwi because in their minds he became a project and not a finished product, and therefore not a 1st rd draft pick. Those same scouts probably thought Tatupu was slow, Ellis Hobbs was too short, Mankins was a third rdr and Charles Rogers was a can't miss.

maverick4 said:
I never understood the obsession with bench press reps. Let's say you have two players. In their last two seasons, player A gets: 10 sacks, 15 tackles for loss, compared to player B, who got 5 sacks and 10 tackles for loss. However, player B benches 3 times more than player A. Who do you pick?

If Kiwi drops, people will be talking about him like people talked about Lofa last year (as in "how did that guy drop so far in the draft?").

That is a very bad example because many people felt that Tatupu was a giant REACH in the 2nd round last year. In fact, most mocks had Tatupu going in the 3rd or 4th round because of his size and ability.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back