PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PFT:Pats Go Turd Shopping

Status
Not open for further replies.

R_T26

Banned
Reaction score
http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

Maybe the idea of Randy Moss being traded to the Pats isn't so far-fetched. After all, the team is sufficiently desperate at the receiver position that they brought in Charles Rogers for a look-see on Friday, according to Mike Reiss of the Boston Globe.

The Pats also eyeballed Kevin Johnson and Jabar Gaffney, who was arrested during the offseason on gun charges. Johnson was once waived by the Browns in the middle of a season, only a week after being benched.

Rogers admitted this week that his four-game suspension in 2005 was the result of smoking marijuana. A urine sample from Rogers was deemed positive at the 2004 scouting combine because the sample was dilute.

It didn't stop the Lions from using the No. 2 overall pick in the draft on Rogers, who missed most of his first two seasons due to injury. He was ineffective in 2005, missing four games due to the suspension and being deactivated in many others.

But the Pats need bodies at perhaps the only position that is a glaring weakness on the roster. And although they wouldn't have to give up any picks or players to get Rogers, the fact that they'd consider him tells us that they'd also consider Moss, a far more accomplished talent.

Whether they actually acquire either of them, however, is a far different issue.

(Wasn't there already a Randy Moss to the Pats thread?)

I wish I could find the Press Conference where BB was asked "Could Randy Moss play for the Patriots?" I'm pretty confident he answered "Sure, why not?"

Well, I don't necessarily believe this at all, BUT if it were true, I wouldn;t have a problem with it. Moss has been pretty good in Oakland all things considered. Maybe he'd shape up more if he was playing for a real contender, a la Dillon.

This really needs to be merged into the exsting PFT speculation thread. That's all it is is more of the same...

No, it needs to be merged into the Charles Rogers workout thread.

This has very little to do with Moss. Read it. Only the first sentence is about Moss.

Last edited:
PFT needs to realize that BB brings in veterans all the time at various positions regardless of if the team is weak in that area or not. It isn't like signing one of them is imminent.

BradfordPatsFan said:
PFT needs to realize that BB brings in veterans all the time at various positions regardless of if the team is weak in that area or not. It isn't like signing one of them is imminent.
True, but I don't recall very many self destructive types on past visitation lists - or did I miss Freddie Mitchell?

and the thing is, BB doesn't ever put out bulletin board material by being critical of other players. he always says he likes them regardless of who they are.

what's he gonna say - no, Moss is not welcome here?
that would motivate moss and BB lives by the rules of the art of war - he is always messing with his opponents even when they don't realize it. that's why he keeps shocking everyone - he lulls them to sleep like hypnosis than BAM!!! he wins the super bowl and everyone is like 'what the??!!'

BB doesn't want moss.

at all.

I would trade our Seattle first rounder to Oakland for Randy Moss in a heartbeat. No way you can't tell me that you'd prefer Deion Branch over Randy Moss.

pats1 said:
No, it needs to be merged into the Charles Rogers workout thread.

This has very little to do with Moss. Read it. Only the first sentence is about Moss.

I read it. Maybe you didn't. The entire point of this bit of speculation was if they looked at Rogers they would certainly look at Moss:

But the Pats need bodies at perhaps the only position that is a glaring weakness on the roster. And although they wouldn't have to give up any picks or players to get Rogers, the fact that they'd consider him tells us that they'd also consider Moss, a far more accomplished talent.

But apparently my merger suggestion was ignored anyway as the mods have their hands full tonight merging NEMS prayer threads.

BoTown said:
I would trade our Seattle first rounder to Oakland for Randy Moss in a heartbeat. No way you can't tell me that you'd prefer Deion Branch over Randy Moss.
If both cost the same, then you are right. But you are ignoring the central issue in the Branch fiasco: how closely aligned to the player's value the pay demanded is. In two years Moss will be getting 11.25M, roughly twice what the Pats were willing to pay Branch. Is he really worth twice what Branch is worth? No. Admittedly in 2006 and 2007 the difference isn't as great (Moss gets 7.5M this year and 9.75M next year in base salary) but the principal still stands.

Back to the point of this thread, that the Pats are considering a turd.

The Pats' player acquisition strategy has always been about value. Value can come from either a player getting very good or, as in this case, a player getting very cheap. They have shown a willingness to investigate players who have failed elsewhere, e.g. David Terrell and Jonathan Sullivan. But that doesn't mean they automatically pick up bargains... that depends on how the player performs and whether they seem to realize this may be their last chance. Thus they cut Terrell, he didn't perform. If Rogers shows he knows he screwed up before and says the right things and looks good in a tryout and practice then I can understand them giving him a chance.

One other thing... the Pats' personnel judgements aren't personal, they don't hold grudges. They got rid of Tebucky Jones not because he couldn't play but because he was too expensive and could get them something in trade. Obviously they were right about his value, years later he was cheap, but rather than shunning him because they got rid of him earlier they brought him back because his cost was now in line with his capabilities.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye