PFT:Patriots have to be puckering

Status
Not open for further replies.

SVN

PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club
Reaction score
Wild-card weekend Monday 10-pack | ProFootballTalk

4. Patriots have to be puckering.

In early December, when the Ravens and Steelers and Jets and Patriots got together for prime-time games on consecutive nights, we suspected that the second game of the season between these division rivals would merely determine the location for the third game.

But when the Patriots dismantled the Jets, running up the score to finish the night with a 45-3 win, we feared that the Pats were given the Jets fodder to fire themselves up for a playoff meeting — until we realized that the Pats were hoping to induce a tailspin that would wash the Jets right out of the postseason altogether.

If that was the objective, it didn’t work. After losing six days later to the Dolphins, the Jets pulled together a win in Pittsburgh and gained plenty of confidence by beating the Colts in Indianapolis. Now, the Jets are heading back to Foxboro, and they’ll surely find extra motivation in the trouncing they endured.

Of course, the Jets have a bad habit of talking too much, and there’s a decent chance they’ll squander the moral high ground by talking tough and otherwise riling up a Patriots team that otherwise has to be thinking that there’s no guarantee that they’ll do in January what they managed to do in December.

So with the Pats having everything to lose and the Jets having everything to gain, there’s a chance that the Jets could shock the team that everyone assumes will advance to the Super Bowl and win it.

If the Jets still have 45-3 on the mind, then this game won't be close at all. The best thing they can hope to do is erase the image of that trouncing and come out fresh. Otherwise, the Pats are in their heads.

Thats just fodder for talk shows and the media, the better team will win Sunday.

Ravens panic has transferred over to Jets panic.

Am I the only one who doesn't like this article? Doesn't seem to hold much weight IMO.

The Bills have 7 years of pent up anger against the Patriots and still haven't made good use of it.

Regarding the Jets Blather? As I suspected they are going to take a page out of BB's book and try to be stoic. At least the Veterans are trying -- From the Herald:

Veteran linebacker Jason Taylor, meanwhile, was one of many Jet players, as well as Ryan, who wouldn’t discuss the Patriots or that fateful last game.

“If there was any bit of uncertainty, I think this helps erase it,” Taylor said. “But it’s one game. We won the playoff round. We’ve got to go play in the divisional round, and if we win that, we still haven’t done anything yet.”

Jets offensive lineman Damien Woody says what memory? The day after that Dec. 6 contest, Ryan held a mock funeral and buried a football from the game.

“Yeah, technically, we buried it. We’re not even supposed to remember it,” Woody said Saturday night after New York edged the Colts, 17-16, in the wild card round. “What do you call it when you dig up bodies? What is it, exhume? We’re not exhuming anything around here. We’re just playing another game. We’re not exhuming any footballs.”

Regarding forgetting about the blow out.......just read the article to see that it still is in their minds (to some degree). Does it translate to a Patriot advantage is debatable because of the 'it's our rallying cry' possibilities. However, I don't buy any conclusion other than A) they talked a lot of trash B) they got destroyed C) they got a seed of doubt planted in their minds. And if the Jets do start to forget about it? Gotta love video recordings and a rabid sports media!

"Moral high ground"?

7 yards passing in the 4th quarter.

Yep, the Patriots ran up the score.

More like they ran up the Jets backs and left treadmarks.

So basically what you're saying is that this is a trap game?

Interesting way of looking at it, actually*. No, I was getting at all the panic about the Ravens earlier in the week has now been transferred over to the Jest. I don't think it will be a 45-3 drubbing again, but I don't see the calculus on how the Pats won't win by at least 10-14 points, which is fairly comfortable in the playoffs.

*If the Pats and Ravens both win, this board will be just about schizophrenic, hopping between elation and dread.

Cliff's Notes version:

"Watch out for those Jets. They just won a playoff game and the swagger is back. They just might get revenge for that blowout loss that they totally deserved for being loudmouth ****wads."

Yawn.

Media headlines and ramblings don't score touch downs. Why keep trying?

Last edited:
Florio is such a pathetic hack. His writing is littered with attempts to obtain moral self gratification from "reporting" on football. From obsessing over trying to catch Rooney Rule violations on every head coaching vacancy, to trying to get hard hits out of football, disingenuously claiming its for player safety, this running up the score BS here, and on and on.

It's amazing that he parlayed being a master of cut and paste into getting a gig on NBC. Then again, **** Ebersol also put the XFL on the air.

It's amazing that he parlayed being a master of cut and paste into getting a gig on NBC. Then again, **** Ebersol also put the XFL on the air.

Not that amazing given NBC's track record of on-air hacks. He is actually a tremendous step up from Olberdouche and Tiki "me me me" Barber.

Interesting way of looking at it, actually*. No, I was getting at all the panic about the Ravens earlier in the week has now been transferred over to the Jest. I don't think it will be a 45-3 drubbing again, but I don't see the calculus on how the Pats won't win by at least 10-14 points, which is fairly comfortable in the playoffs.

*If the Pats and Ravens both win, this board will be just about schizophrenic, hopping between elation and dread.

I know. I was just joking. :cool:

What is funny about this isn't the fact that its the Jets (which is funny in its own right), but you would have seen roughly the same articles if it were the Ravens coming to Foxboro. I guess the logic is that the team that played the best in the conference (and the league) is deathly afraid of teams they know they can beat. :bricks:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye