PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PFT: No market for Donte'

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't see nobody wanting him, Tampa could be an option. I like what he can do and if it can work out I'd like him back here.

Cool, maybe now I'll get another chance to wear the # 18 uni I wore at the SB.

On second thought...

But I'd still like to see Donte back. Great attitude, great YAC.

Re: No market for Donte'??

I have a hard time thinking the Jags wont go after him... They need WRs as bad as any team out there.

I don't think that they really want him back. He was very one dimensional, WR screens and that was it. With Moss getting doubled every play he should have been able to either go over the top or run a quick slant into an open spot. Also his blocking in the running game was suspect.

Towards the end of the season he was replaced by Gaffney on a lot of key series.

This is a very strong draft class for WR, I think they go younger at WR.

WR - Unit - Moss, Welker, Gaffney, Day 1 Draft Pick, Jackson and maybe a 6th WR ala Washington with more of special teams focus

I would like Donte back, but something just never clicked with him and Brady.. Althought the Moss Brady relationship just exploded.. If Moss never came, Donte would have had a decent season of 60 catches..and a couple more td's ...

I also would like to see if Washington comes back, and he emerge's as a 4th WR threat..

I don't think that they really want him back. He was very one dimensional, WR screens and that was it. With Moss getting doubled every play he should have been able to either go over the top or run a quick slant into an open spot. Also his blocking in the running game was suspect.

Towards the end of the season he was replaced by Gaffney on a lot of key series.

This is a very strong draft class for WR, I think they go younger at WR.

WR - Unit - Moss, Welker, Gaffney, Day 1 Draft Pick, Jackson and maybe a 6th WR ala Washington with more of special teams focus

According to NFLN last night it's not much of a WR draft class at all. And we have too many needs to be drafting a WR on day 1 which is now just 2 rounds.

It's funny how perceptions form. In the playoffs Jab had 3 catches for 38 yards although one was a short catch for a TD. Did nothing in the Superbowl. Or against the Giants in week 17. Donte in the playoffs had 8 catches for 113 yards including a long of 53, including 3 catches in the SB, one of which I think kept a scoring drive alive when Brady was barely able to stay upright. I think he got dinged up in the week 14 Pittsburgh game which is why he missed the second JETS game. He wasn't getting the TD's with Moss and Welker clicking and records on the line down the stretch. But he continued to make more catches and put up more yards than Jab (13/170 vs. 11/128 down the stretch in weeks 17-20) - he just wasn't the target on a couple of very short end zone TD passes where Gaffney was.

CJ and Washington are the great unknowns heading into 2008. Both have to get on the field as a WR and one has to prove he can stay there. My concern for 2008, assuming Randy is re-signed, would be if Moss goes down how do any of them perform...I hope it would be well enough to keep D's honest so we could run.

i would say we would be just fine with Stallworth, Welker, Gaffney, Jackson, and a couple of JAGs.

If we INDEED do lose Moss then Stallworth (as bad as he was last year) would have to be tops again on a brought back basis.

If we INDEED do lose Moss then Stallworth (as bad as he was last year) would have to be tops again on a brought back basis.
Stallworth was bad last year? Based on what?

According to NFLN last night it's not much of a WR draft class at all. And we have too many needs to be drafting a WR on day 1 which is now just 2 rounds.

It's funny how perceptions form. In the playoffs Jab had 3 catches for 38 yards although one was a short catch for a TD. Did nothing in the Superbowl. Or against the Giants in week 17. Donte in the playoffs had 8 catches for 113 yards including a long of 53, including 3 catches in the SB, one of which I think kept a scoring drive alive when Brady was barely able to stay upright. I think he got dinged up in the week 14 Pittsburgh game which is why he missed the second JETS game. He wasn't getting the TD's with Moss and Welker clicking and records on the line down the stretch. But he continued to make more catches and put up more yards than Jab (13/170 vs. 11/128 down the stretch in weeks 17-20) - he just wasn't the target on a couple of very short end zone TD passes where Gaffney was.

CJ and Washington are the great unknowns heading into 2008. Both have to get on the field as a WR and one has to prove he can stay there. My concern for 2008, assuming Randy is re-signed, would be if Moss goes down how do any of them perform...I hope it would be well enough to keep D's honest so we could run.

I agree completely. What I don't get is why they didn't go to him more down the stretch. He made the two biggest offensive plays in the Jacksonville game and the only time he would get a play designed to go to him is when they were in 3rd & long situations like in the Super Bowl on the first drive when it was 3rd & 18 and they called a WR screen for him and he picks up 20 yards and that was the last time the ball even came in his direction. I feel it's not a coincidences that they stopped blowing teams out when they stopped utilizing him.

I agree completely. What I don't get is why they didn't go to him more down the stretch. He made the two biggest offensive plays in the Jacksonville game and the only time he would get a play designed to go to him is when they were in 3rd & long situations like in the Super Bowl on the first drive when it was 3rd & 18 and they called a WR screen for him and he picks up 20 yards and that was the last time the ball even came in his direction. I feel it's not a coincidences that they stopped blowing teams out when they stopped utilizing him.

I feel it's not a coincidences that they stopped blowing teams out when they stopped utilizing him.[/QUOTE]

Couldn't agree with you more here.....it was McD's failure to make adjustments once team's started blanketing Randy that led to our offense grinding to a halt towards the end of the season.......They got welker open for a good part of that stretch however.....but Brady and Josh never seemed to get comfortable with Stallworth and in my opinion underutilized him much of the year......oh well....hope something can happen for Donte with us.....also think it is a MUST to have Moss back here.....

Seems to me that the entire season the Patriots were pissed, and they entered each game accordingly, with a chip on their shoulders. Brady even spoke to this.

The problem is, sometimes you don't make the best decisions or adjustments when you're angry.

You have to be methodical as coaches. The players can be pissed all they want. The coaches have nothing to prove except to themselves and their players. Screw the haters.

Re: No market for Donte'??

Odd. I thought that Stallworth did decently enough in his year here. Maybe he didn't build on his reputation, but I don't see how he did anything to hurt it.

deleted

deleted

Last edited:
Doesn't the market for a player depend on how much the player is asking for? I mean maybe there is no market for him b/c he is asking for 5 yrs $30M but if he would go for 3 yrs $9M things might change.

How much is it going to cost to get this guy signed?

The market will determine how much it will cost to get this guy signed.

Doesn't the market for a player depend on how much the player is asking for? I mean maybe there is no market for him b/c he is asking for 5 yrs $30M but if he would go for 3 yrs $9M things might change.

How much is it going to cost to get this guy signed?

It's good that there isn't a market for Stallworth. If Moss bolts, I'd bet DS resigns on the outside. The guy is super talented. He simply suffered from the fact that there is only one ball to go around. If Moss leaves, Stallworth could be brought back at a discounted price to stretch the field. That would leave Jackson on the other side, giving us two burners to open up Welker in the middle. Such a scenario would save some cap room to improve the defense. I hope Moss resigns, but let's hope Stallworth doesn't go anywhere until we know for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back