PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PFT: Lito's still a possibility

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know how much it would cost to acquire Lito's rights from the Eagles, but I wouldn't think they could get much more than a second rounder. They've given up, and received less for better players. He's also had some injury problems of late (missed 6 games in '05, 3 games in '06, and 5 games in '07), and he's not expected to be a starting CB for them, if he stays.

My understanding was the Eagles wanted to move Sheldon Brown to Safety. I like your thought on Foxworth, and I would definitely give up our third rounder for him.

Think this through.... Lito has been an All Pro twice in his young career. He's making about half what Samuel will now be making. Why does a team go out and double the money being paid to the CB in a situation like that?

I think the Eagles are still feeling the effects of T.O. and his demands to tear up the six years left on his contract after the '04 season. Because of that fiasco I think they are weary of any player who would do that and may want to get his presence outside the locker room before he becomes something destructive.

I also feel the fact that they didn't want to restructure Lito may have more to do with the principle of the matter than his actual worth and after being suckered into thinking Asante's interceptions mean he's a shutdown corner they pursued him knowing they would need to replace a very good corner already on the roster.

Last edited:
My understanding was the Eagles wanted to move Sheldon Brown to Safety. I like your thought on Foxworth, and I would definitely give up our third rounder for him.

Their official depth chart had Brown and Samuel as the starting CB's, and Lito as the third CB...doesn't really mean anything, but who knows.

Think this through.... Lito has been an All Pro twice in his young career. He's making about half what Samuel will now be making. Why does a team go out and double the money being paid to the CB in a situation like that?

The logical reasons are:
He's had a decent amount of injury problems the past three years
Even with those injury problems, Lito thinks he's worth more than what they are paying him. And, the Eagles didn't want to hand out a large contract to a player with recent injury problems? Seems like a legit enough reason to trade him, especially if he's unhappy, and I'm sure their shelling out the cash to Samuel didn't help matters any.

Last edited:
Deus, that's twice you've said that. (maybe your name should be deuce :)). Why did Miami allow Welker to leave for only a 2nd round pick? Why did Pittsburgh let Vrabel walk? Different schemes, different teams, different opportunities, different kinds of pressure on the coaching staff.

It wouldn't be the first time a good player was let go.

The logical reasons are:
He's had a decent amount of injury problems the past three years
Even with those injury problems, Lito thinks he's worth more than what they are paying him. And, the Eagles didn't want to hand out a large contract to a player with recent injury problems? Seems like a legit enough reason to trade him, especially if he's unhappy, and I'm sure their shelling out the cash to Samuel didn't help matters any.

His contract had multiple years remaining and the trade rumors popped up before Samuel was signed. Now, with the 'injury' comment, we're starting to get somewhere.

Injury
Pouting about cash (?)
Overrated, with regards to $9.5 million (?)

Deus, that's twice you've said that. (maybe your name should be deuce :)). Why did Miami allow Welker to leave for only a 2nd round pick? Why did Pittsburgh let Vrabel walk? Different schemes, different teams, different opportunities, different kinds of pressure on the coaching staff.

Miami screwed up and Pittsburgh had other excellent players in front of Vrabel. Philly is a much smarter team with talent than Miami was last season, so neither of these examples apply.

Miami screwed up and Pittsburgh had other excellent players in front of Vrabel. Philly is a much smarter team with talent than Miami was last season, so neither of these examples apply.

I look to the Patriots front office for how to intelligently run a football team. They decided giving Asante 9.5 mil wasn't a smart idea so it wouldn't surprise me if the Eagles were to do something else "dumb" and trade away Sheppard.

I understand what you're trying to say, but it doesn't seem you completely understand what's being said here.

First, let's go back over Vrabel and Welker...

Vrabel was a bench warmer in Pitt, and just needed someone to give him a chance.

The Chargers didn't give Welker a chance, then Miami picked him up (and started to utilize him under Saban), but it seems the post Saban staff in Miami didn't fully realize his potential value. It also seems like Welker, Morris, and others came with Saban's approval, as BB suddenly went after all of them when Saban left. Also, the Dolphins didn't have Tom Brady throwing him passes.

The major differences here are as fallows:

Lito has already played at a PB level within their system. So, it's obviously not that he doesn't fit their system well, and it's obviously not that (Andy Reid) doesn't understand what type of player he has on his hands, and isn't simply giving him a shot.

What their signing Samuel to that large contract, and possibly trading Lito could suggest is as fallows:

In their opinion he's to injury prone to hand a large contract to.
Maybe they believe those injuries have started to take their toll, and he might have slightly declined?
Lito's believed self worth (as a two time PB CB) is to high (for an oft injured player), and they want to trade him before he starts complaining.

Last edited:
The real question is what kind of money Lito wants for his extension. If it is in the 5M per range with a 10M signing bonus, I'd say sign me up as soon as he passes the physical. If he wants Asante money, that's not going to happen here.

I understand what you're trying to say, but it doesn't seem you completely understand what's being said here.

First, let's go back over Vrabel and Welker...

Vrabel was a bench warmer in Pitt, and just needed someone to give him a chance.

The Chargers didn't give Welker a chance, then Miami picked him up (and started to utilize him under Saban), but it seems the post Saban staff in Miami didn't fully realize his potential value. It also seems like Welker, Morris, and others came with Saban's approval, as BB suddenly went after all of them when Saban left. Also, the Dolphins didn't have Tom Brady throwing him passes.

The major differences here are as fallows:

Lito has already played at a PB level within their system. So, it's obviously not that he doesn't fit their system well, and it's obviously not that (Andy Reid) doesn't understand what type of player he has on his hands, and isn't simply giving him a shot.

What their signing Samuel to that large contract, and possibly trading Lito could suggest is as fallows:

In their opinion he's to injury prone to hand a large contract to.
Maybe they believe those injuries have started to take their toll, and he might have slightly declined?
Lito's believed self worth (as a two time PB CB) is to high (for an oft injured player), and they want to trade him before he starts complaining.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes