PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PFT lists "current" team by team cap numbers (Pats $5 million under)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeSixPat

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
ProFootballTalk.com - TEAM-BY-TEAM CAP NUMBERS

I'm not sure if this is a help or hindrance - as Florio doesn't cite a source or give any idea of how up to date this is - aside from saying current.

So does this include Cassel's $14.65? I'm guessing yes, seeing as the Pats are at $119 million.

Does it take Favre off the Jets books? It kindof looks like it since the Jets are just over the $124 million and I can't see how they would be in a better cap situation than the Patriots when deducting Favre from the $125 million.

There's a number of disclaimers as well regarding LBTE incentives. I'd trust Miguel's numbers more than anything of this nature at this point.

PFT: Cap numbers [merged]

PFT claims these are accurate cap numbers, but is unsure of individual cap limits based on LTBE bonuses. For example, I hear the Jets' cap will be significantly below the $124 million because of their LTBE bonuses paid out (but who knows).

I'm not sure if this is a help or hindrance - as Florio doesn't cite a source or give any idea of how up to date this is - aside from saying current.

So does this include Cassel's $14.65? I'm guessing yes, seeing as the Pats are at $119 million.

Does it take Favre off the Jets books? It kindof looks like it since the Jets are just over the $124 million and I can't see how they would be in a better cap situation than the Patriots when deducting Favre from the $125 million.

There's a number of disclaimers as well regarding LBTE incentives. I'd trust Miguel's numbers more than anything of this nature at this point.
This is Miguel's number on his salary cap page.

I like how the Chiefs, Lions, and Bucs have a lot of money to burn

I think 5 Mil is a decent spot to be in.....its not a lot of money but it isnt cap hell either. Rework a few deals and we could be looking at a decent amount of money and we can always get 14 mil back by trading QB2.

one person who comes to mind is Seymour....He has a big cap hit and his deal runs up soon....give him more years, lessen his hit this year, and we both get more years of eachother win/win.

Seymour gets brought up once a week as a wasy to lessen our cap hit. No one has yet posted a reasonable proposal that does that. It seems likely that an extension of Seymour will cost at least $2M in additional 2009 cap money.

As far as win-win, we'll see. I don't see Seymour settling for less than being the highest paid Dl in the league.

I think 5 Mil is a decent spot to be in.....its not a lot of money but it isnt cap hell either. Rework a few deals and we could be looking at a decent amount of money and we can always get 14 mil back by trading QB2.

one person who comes to mind is Seymour....He has a big cap hit and his deal runs up soon....give him more years, lessen his hit this year, and we both get more years of eachother win/win.

Re: PFT: Cap numbers

Interesting that only two of the top twelve teams with most money tied up/least amount of cap space, that only two of them made the playoffs (The Colts and Giants.)

This is nice to have all the teams in one comprehensive list, but it would be very helpful to also include how many players each of those teams has under contract, how many UFA's does each of those teams have, and how much were those UFA's making? For example the Cardinals are way under the cap, but they also have the fewest players signed; therefore that cap number is relatively meaningless. Funny to see the knee jerk reactions of so many team's fans ('What, we're $x under the cap? The owner is cheap!')

Seymour gets brought up once a week as a wasy to lessen our cap hit. No one has yet posted a reasonable proposal that does that. It seems likely that an extension of Seymour will cost at least $2M in additional 2009 cap money.

As far as win-win, we'll see. I don't see Seymour settling for less than being the highest paid Dl in the league.

Maybe your right maybe we cant get it from Seymour but he was just an example....with 5 mil in space already we should be able to create some space and be able to be active in FA and with re-signing our own FAs.

Seymour IMO and apparently by your count alot of peoples opinion would be a good spot to try and create some space. I am not going to pretend to be able to give you numbers on how this would work but one would think a deal could be reached to shrink his number this year and keep him happy.....He has been a little injuries plagued so you would think he would want to re-up

I have to agree with ya. Part of me (the homer part) believes BB knows what he's doing. The other part of me, thinks we're gonna have problems with Seymour when it comes to his contract.

If i'm not mistaken, Jarvis is a 5 mil cap hit, so maybe he will be where the money comes from. Possible release?

The cap page shows that we would save 2.5 mil if Jarvis is released. Not much. Besides, he provides pretty good depth.

Last edited:
I have to agree with ya. Part of me (the homer part) believes BB knows what he's doing. The other part of me, thinks we're gonna have problems with Seymour when it comes to his contract.

If i'm not mistaken, Jarvis is a 5 mil cap hit, so maybe he will be where the money comes from. Possible release?

The cap page shows that we would save 2.5 mil if Jarvis is released. Not much. Besides, he provides pretty good depth.

Release Jarvis...please NO - remember, he played all last year with severe ankle sprain and was decent, restructure, sure...release, no way - he starts on just about any other team.

As for RS........phew, I want him, homer side and rational side....will be a tough extension to get done though.

We need to look elsewhere to free up space, and they will......prolly QB2 trade.

Release Jarvis...please NO - remember, he played all last year with severe ankle sprain and was decent, restructure, sure...release, no way - he starts on just about any other team.

As for RS........phew, I want him, homer side and rational side....will be a tough extension to get done though.

We need to look elsewhere to free up space, and they will......prolly QB2 trade.

don't misunderstand. I don't want to release him, i was just throwing that out there. He's good depth, and im glad we have him. Same goes for Vrabs, but he has a high cap # too. Like you said, trading Cassel will solve alot of problems.

pretty sure the Jets cap number is figured w/ Favre on the books b/c multiple sources have said the jets are around 13-17 mil under

If this is true and Seymour won't settle for anything less than top salary DE, i'd say we let him go right now and resign Green a lot cheaper. I love Big Sey but we can't give him a top contract, cause he certainly doesn't play like that anymore. It will probably save us a couple of million to sign guys like mankins and wilfork who want to stay here no matter what.

If this is true and Seymour won't settle for anything less than top salary DE, i'd say we let him go right now and resign Green a lot cheaper. I love Big Sey but we can't give him a top contract, cause he certainly doesn't play like that anymore. It will probably save us a couple of million to sign guys like mankins and wilfork who want to stay here no matter what.

Seymour CAN be elite, but his actual production (this year at least) seems replaceable. Why not trade him while he's under contract and get something for him? Also, maybe we could draft DE Robert Ayers and groom him to step compete for the open spot if/when Sey walks next year?

Last edited:
Seymour CAN be elite, but his actual production (this year at least) seems replaceable. Why not trade him while he's under contract and get something for him? Also, maybe we could draft DE Robert Ayers and groom him to step compete for the open spot if/when Sey walks next year?

I'd love to trade him, but since his latest production hasn't been amazing i'm wondering what we would get. Maybe youre right and we would get something valuable. Personally i'm all for using a high pick on a D-linemen, but i don't know if there are any good prospects at the position. Besides i still like Green very much and he gives us more pass rush.

The only thing wrong with his 2008 play, was he was shafted out of a Probowl!!

I wouldn't be surprised to see Seymour stay out of training camp

this year seeking a salary adjustment to his 2009 salary. He did

this the last time around. Seymour will be seeking a salary like

Dwight Freeney. A 30 million dollar signing bonus and an average

salary of 12 million per per year.

I'd love to trade him, but since his latest production hasn't been amazing i'm wondering what we would get. Maybe youre right and we would get something valuable. Personally i'm all for using a high pick on a D-linemen, but i don't know if there are any good prospects at the position. Besides i still like Green very much and he gives us more pass rush.

Green is good, but adding a body is a good idea. Not sure how deep the draft is, but I assume (all I got) converting a 4-3 end to a 3-4 end isn't a massive job, except maybe buying the guy a suitcase of McDonald's gift certificates...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots