Status
Not open for further replies.

BradyFTW!

Goodell sucks
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/03/25/more-than-two-calls-did-in-niners/

MORE THAN TWO CALLS DID IN NINERS
Posted by Mike Florio on March 25, 2008, 8:33 p.m.
There are plenty of rumors making the rounds regarding the quality and quantity of the evidence that got the San Francisco 49ers busted for tampering with Chicago Bears linebacker Lance Briggs.

We’ve heard bits and pieces, all of it off the record and plenty of it on double-secret background, due to an apparent gag order that Commissioner Roger Goodell has imposed (and that hasn’t necessarily been respected by all parties). We’ve tried to get more details directly from NFL spokesman Greg Aiello, who declined to supply anything beyond the league’s official release on the matter.

Tim Kawakami of the San Jose Mercury News has some additional info, and he says that the case against the Niners entailed more than two incomplete phone calls to agent Drew Rosenhaus.

The additional evidence? Internal e-mails exchanged by key members of the team’s front office during key moments of the timeline.

Kawakami also throws a few fastballs at the 49ers for their alleged tactics in spinning the story in a manner that makes it look like they were busted for doing not much of anything. We can’t do Kawakami’s remarks justice, so we’ll merely invite you to read them right here.

Meanwhile, some Internet hack has written about the whole tampering thing for SportingNews.com.

The internal emails are new info, but that was pretty much to be expected, IMO. What really jumped out at me was the gag order, which worries me because I'm pretty sure that Arlen Specter is going to find a way to spin that to breathe even more life into Spygate. Something to the effect of Goodell is trying to cover up this cheating too, etc etc.

The internal emails are new info, but that was pretty much to be expected, IMO. What really jumped out at me was the gag order, which worries me because I'm pretty sure that Arlen Specter is going to find a way to spin that to breathe even more life into Spygate. Something to the effect of Goodell is trying to cover up this cheating too, etc etc.
Nahhh..he's only interested in the Patriots...I really doubt that

Nahhh..he's only interested in the Patriots...I really doubt that

Nah, the Pats are just the easiest target right now. He's interested in impressing upon the NFL that, if it doesn't strike up a deal with Comcast soon, its antitrust exemption may be in jeopardy.

Keep in mind the Spector is all talk and no action. He has no authority in the Judiciary committee to screw a light bulb in a socket. There will be no threats to the anti trust exemption unless Leahy and Kennedy want it.

Seems to me that Goodell is trying to keep this from blowing up in his face like spygate did. Just like we heard from many players, coaches, commentators, etc. that what the Pats did happens all the time, we here the same thing about tampering, and he doesn't want it getting out of hand. Im sure our beloved Pats have done it. You honestly think that BB did not mention something to Adalius Thomas at the probowl in 2006? However, Goodell is really droping the ball on this. A 5th rounder and the loss of what, 5 picks in the 3rd round for tampering when he claims that the Pats taping had no competative advantage. Tampering with a player gives that team an advantage over every team in the NFL, in regards to signing the player that is. It look more and more that the media coverage and Goodells desire to make himself look like the "new sherriff in town" is what resulted in the Pats steap penalties.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back