PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PFT: ESPN goes fishing for cheaters again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: PFT :ESPN goes fishing for cheaters again

ProFootballTalk.com - ESPN GOES FISHING FOR CHEATERS, AGAIN

Last yr it was the pats, this yr its the steelers..maybe a week or 2 early.

"As for us, we wonder how long ESPN can continue to peddle this same, tired formula."

Been wondering the same for years......

These assclowns are really full of themselves and only care about ratings...

I really hope that one day, they catch one of these so called sports journalists in a lie and expose them....

Wishful thinking of course...

too bad PFT didnt take a stance like this DURING spygate

They, like many others, were to caught up in that circus and where just as blood thirsty....

Sad really...

"As for us, we wonder how long ESPN can continue to peddle this same, tired formula."

Been wondering the same for years......

These assclowns are really full of themselves and only care about ratings...

I really hope that one day, they catch one of these so called sports journalists in a lie and expose them....

Wishful thinking of course...

The chutzpah of Florio calling out anyone in the world on their 'formula'.....

So, wait a minute: the guy leaves the Steelers, and that makes him look more guilty? How would it look if he stayed with the team and refused to answer questions as the investigation was ongoing?

If he's treating elderly patients like he said, it's completely legal.

I guess if he'd videotaped it, he'd get crushed. :eek:

I find this type of action by ESPN is disgraceful.

and this too
In the end, the Herald admitted its error and apologized. ESPN never did.

I know it's most likely BS (just like Spygate and Liegate), but I am glad another fanbase is getting to experience it. Especially the fanbase that created the "Bernard Pollard fanclub" t-shirt.

I know it's most likely BS (just like Spygate and Liegate), but I am glad another fanbase is getting to experience it. Especially the fanbase that created the "Bernard Pollard fanclub" t-shirt.

Oh of course....and hopefully that will come back and bite them this weekend....with them loosing....

Florio's point would have been stronger if he had emphasized that there is an element of truth to Fish's story - Steelers players likely use HGH, just as the Pats did violate league guidelines by filming from the sidelines, instead of a booth - but that the crime is common and/or minor and the only reason to focus on one team is partiality and timing.

Florio did a fairly good job pointing out how this story has obviously been selected because the Steelers are so relevant, with an upcoming AFCCG, but like the lawyer he is he focused on reasonable doubt as his main argument. The court of public opinion does not have double jeopordy protection - the Steelers will get "tried" for this crime many, many times until they are found guilty (or the story finally dies) - so going forward it is better to dismiss this on grounds of commonality (the Steelers aren't the only team exposed to HGH) than on reasonable doubt, which tends to disappear the longer the circus goes on and the more op-ed pieces get written in assent.

I suspect the reason ESPN likes localizing problems on a team basis is because it becomes a much clearer good vs. evil, us vs. them issue, and pissing off one team at a time with unfair reporting is a lot safer than pissing off the league office. 32 teams to pick on, only one football league.

Last edited:

Florio's point would have been stronger if he had emphasized that there is an element of truth to Fish's story - Steelers players likely use HGH, just as the Pats did violate league guidelines by filming from the sidelines, instead of a booth - but that the crime is common and/or minor and the only reason to focus on one team is partiality and timing.

Florio did a fairly good job pointing out how this story has obviously been selected because the Steelers are so relevant, with an upcoming AFCCG, but like the lawyer he is he focused on reasonable doubt as his main argument. The court of public opinion does not have double jeopordy protection - the Steelers will get "tried" for this crime many, many times until they are found guilty (or the story finally dies) - so going forward it is better to dismiss this on grounds of commonality (the Steelers aren't the only team exposed to HGH) than on reasonable doubt, which tends to disappear the longer the circus goes on and the more op-ed pieces get written in assent.

I suspect the reason ESPN likes localizing problems on a team basis is because it becomes a much clearer good vs. evil, us vs. them issue, and pissing off one team at a time with unfair reporting is a lot safer than pissing off the league office. 32 teams to pick on, only one football league.

(Haven't read Fish....don't go to ESPN at all....so I am assuming the following).

What kind of sleazy "mediaism" on the Steelers (based on drug use) does not link the teams of the 70's and their alleged steroid use? Bad sleazy "mediaism."

I wonder if Joey Porter is now gonna think that his ring is somehow "tainted"... beyond belonging to Joey Porter, that is... :)

agreed, nothing touches what happened last year and the overhype hoopla about nothing... We were made to look like douche's when it was stupid.. Espn is a joke..

Pittsburgh team doctor buys $$$ worth of HGH.

I'm assuming the Steelers players used more than some of it.

Just like it was obvious the Patriots were videotaping games.

The question is, what is the NFL going to do about it?

Is it wrong to use HGH?

Is it wrong to videotape opposing signals?

Are there penalties for this?

I though Goodell didn't need a legal standard to issue penalties? I thought he could do it simply based on a preponderance of the evidence?

Place a call to Ryzde, use your muscle (threaten him with a lawsuit) get him to speak, and then decide if you have enough to come after the Steelers.

I've said it before, I'll say it again.
espn sucks.
My boycott continues.

Attachments

• espnsucks.jpg
    espnsucks.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 2,147

Florio's point would have been stronger if he had emphasized that there is an element of truth to Fish's story - Steelers players likely use HGH, just as the Pats did violate league guidelines by filming from the sidelines, instead of a booth.

Just a reminder- the January 2008 Tomase/Fish flap had NOTHING to do with illegal sideline taping that had already been acknowledged and punished, but was based upon the idea that the Rams walkthrough had been taped and that someone was about to step forward to show that the earlier punished transgressions were only the "tip of the iceberg"

Spygate was one thing
Fabrigate, or Liegate, was another

So there was no element of truth whatsover to to Tomase/Fish media frenzy.

Last edited:
Where is Arlin Spectre on this one? its your State....C'Mon.

IT almost makes me want to root for them this weekend... but not quite.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes