PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PFT duscusses NFL being fixed

Status
Not open for further replies.
I strongly disagree with your views of the various calls above, but that won't prove a thing, as your "analysis" doesn't either (I could have stopped reading after your answer on 2. above, as I've even got Pats fan friends to agree that those calls in the AFC Championship game just weren't right).

What's funny about all this is that my main point all along has been YOU ARE THE ONLY FOLKS IN THE NFL WHO SEE IT THAT WAY!!! That's not how the rest of the League's fans see all this at all--they see you guys not as the victims of injustices, but as the perpetrators. Getting back to my original post here in this thread--that's the irony in this story. As I've said a million times, go ask fans of other teams how you're viewed in that regard. Some it's just haters hating, but some of it's legit.

The reason others see it the same way you do is for the same reason you do

BECAUSE TEAMS THAT ARE CONSISTENTLY SUCCESSFUL BECOME RESENTED. It was the same thing with the Cowboys and the Yankees and on and on....

Every single numbered point in my post was 100% fact. You will notice that I didn't deny that NE got away with some rough stuff, I just pointed out that the game was called consistently in that both teams got away with plenty. You will also note that I said, "since the 2003 AFCCG" which means that I admit that NE probably got the better of the two in that game.

But NE absolutely has not gotten any preferential treatment from the refs since then with the exception of the two games I mentioned. That is it. What I find truly humorous is that I even stated a few posts above yours about the hypocritical view that NE was favored in the 2003 AFCCG and this year's Balt game and you still walked right into that one. You can't have it both ways! How was Baltimore getting away with 75 secondary penalties fine but NE getting away with 10 evidence of some conspiracy?

Last edited:
I strongly disagree with your views of the various calls above, but that won't prove a thing, as your "analysis" doesn't either (I could have stopped reading after your answer on 2. above, as I've even got Pats fan friends to agree that those calls in the AFC Championship game just weren't right). I'd also like to note for the record that on 4 there was no replay angle that showed the penalty--that's why that one stuck out in my head several years later, the announcers had no idea what the penalty really was and had no video to show of where it occurred. They were just silent for about 10 seconds and said, "Hmmmm, that was...uhh...well, I'm not quite sure what that was." or something similar. Maybe it was the same ref who called the penalty on Amani Toomer of the Giants that the NFL Network guys didn't understand either......

What's funny about all this is that my main point all along has been YOU ARE THE ONLY FOLKS IN THE NFL WHO SEE IT THAT WAY!!! That's not how the rest of the League's fans see all this at all--they see you guys not as the victims of injustices, but as the perpetrators. Getting back to my original post here in this thread--that's the irony in this story. As I've said a million times, go ask fans of other teams how you're viewed in that regard. Some of their view is just haters hating, but some of it's a legit beef.

Colin Cowherd not only pointed out how badly New England got jobbed in the Colts game, he used it as part of his show intro for a while. Seriously, learn to be a better troll.

As pointed out by Oswelk (good work with the large font...maybe it will finally sink in), and as I posted earlier today without any response from you, it's a matter of perspective. Non-Patriot fans, at this point, dislike the team to the nth degree. The Patriots have been a model franchise for the entire decade and could win their 4th championsip in 7 seasons while fielding a team that's stronger than ever. Resentment, jealousy and hatred have blinded non-Patriot fans when watching these games, and they're convinced that things are happening that just aren't. As I've pointed out numerous times in different threads, the only game this season that was truly lopsided when it came to officiating (and by that I mean more than one or two ticky-tacky calls going for/against one team) is the Colts game. If there ever was a game that this 'conspiracy' were to rear its ugly head, wouldn't it be in the game against the defending SB champions, at their stadium? And yet we saw the exact opposite: a game officiated so poorly that there were non-Pats fans calling conspiracy.

Face it: bad calls happen all the time; it's the nature of game (after all, to err is human, correct?) and sometimes there's an extra call or two going one way without any reciprocation. But to call that a conspiracy? I think not.

If you read clearly, I'm not saying that they are proof of the alleged cheating or officials' bias and the links I provided were not "straw polls"--what they were were links to threads where random teams' fans were discussing how in their view that the Pats are favorites of the refs and the League--ie., the point I'm making is that is the perception of a large number of fans around the League. Why do they have that perception is open to interpretation--are they just "haters", jealous of your team? Some probably are. Are they just saying what they think based on the evidence before them and what they've seen. Others fall into that camp I'm sure as well (I'd like to think I'm in this group since I must admit that in my view there is something amiss in the officiating in a statistically large number of your close games over the years, especially late in the game). Impugning your fellow board member fans' knowledge of the game doesn't make sense--where does that put you to judge, for ex., since you're really no different from them? What I've found is that many (but clearly not all) fans who take the time to register on a board and follow it and their team are fairly more knowledgeable about the game than the average fan.

I started to point all of this out for the simple reason that by reading this board you'd think that the Pats have been the victim of some kind of massive ripoff job by the officials and/or League, instead of being viewed (again rightly or wrongly) as the perpetrator of the crime. Who's right? The obviously self-interested fans of one team or a fairly large subset of the fans of all the other teams? No one knows for sure, but I can tell you where my suspicions lie......

PS Not sure how you could have read my other posts, or gone back to look at them since they are no gone and were only up for a short while at the time. That Schmessy worked quickly to quash any dissent here in Pats'Land.

I was reading the thread as you were posting in it. Your moniker was something that started with an "M". Remember, I posted in that thread that Shemmsy was trying to save your time.

As for your "substance" relating to the perception of other fans, again it is not substance and it is not indicative of anything. How many fans? What percentage of the board members? How many of them actuall know a football from their elbow? You know the answer to none of these questions which makes your "substance" totally irrelevant. Basically you linked to a bunch of fans whining. Could it be indicative of a feeling around the league? Sure it could be, but there is nothing to indicate that it is.

As for your "examples" of the baises of officiating towards the Patriots, I can guarantee you that there are fans here that can give you a slew of examples going the other way. There is a simple reason why both arguments can also have some merit as well. Basically, officials are human and they make mistakes. Don't blame malice for what stupidity (or in this case ineptitude) can explain. Officials don't make bad calls because they are baised. They make bad calls because they make mistakes.

Can we get a "Hallelujah" from the Congregation!!! Thank you, brother. My point exactly. You're not the best example, since you have an axe to grind in the coming game this week, but I suspect you felt this way before you drew the Pats, no?

Best of luck with the game--it won't be easy, especially against the men in the stripes, but I hope you find a way to win. (I'd suggest "accidentally" taking out a few members of the officiating crew before the end of the first half as your best ploy.)

Oh...now I'm convinced.

haha, you two are funny. And citing the Ravens game again, I see. That, right there, is the quickest way to show your true 'troll' colors.

I'm sorry you're jealous of the Patriots, but don't let that carry over to a bias when watching a game. You're just wrong, buddy, and you probably know it deep down but won't admit it because that's the only way you can feel good about your team and their chances against the Patriots: to think that, for some reason, the NFL is conspiring to let New England win. That makes perfect sense.

Oh, I knew this was coming whether we faced the Pats or the Colts. The NFL wants a Pats/Colts AFCC game so bad, it is scary. I would be curious what a fan of neither team thought after watching the Jags/Pats, Colts/Chargers games...

Oh yes of course. The league will fix it.:rolleyes:
Here's a hint. Everyone knows you have to beat the refs too.
If the game is so close that a refs call can effect the outcome well...
Sounds like you're pre-emptive excuse making.
I don't blame you though.:p

Refs let assistant coaches call time outs?
Yes, they do. If you had NFL Network, you would know this.

Mike Perreira explained it thusly:

just before a play starts, the refs are looking in toward the field. If someone yells timeout from the sidelines, they are going to grant it. They are not going to turn their heads and ascertain if the person calling the TO is the head coach or not, or determine whether the head coach gave him permission. Perriera said the head coach is responsible for his sideline people. If he doesn't want them to call time out, it is up to him to not allow them to.

You may not like it, but that is the NFL officiating policy.

Oh, and an assistant can throw out the red challenge flag, also. It doesn't have to be the head coach.

If I were you, I wouldn't worry much about the refs. It's Moss, Welker, Stallworth, Gaffney, Maroney, Faulk and Watson you need to be worried about.

And players other than QBs can call timeouts on the field.

Yes, they do. If you had NFL Network, you would know this.

Mike Perreira explained it thusly:

just before a play starts, the refs are looking in toward the field. If someone yells timeout from the sidelines, they are going to grant it. They are not going to turn their heads and ascertain if the person calling the TO is the head coach or not, or determine whether the head coach gave him permission. Perriera said the head coach is responsible for his sideline people. If he doesn't want them to call time out, it is up to him to not allow them to.

You may not like it, but that is the NFL officiating policy.

Oh, and an assistant can throw out the red challenge flag, also. It doesn't have to be the head coach.

If I were you, I wouldn't worry much about the refs. It's Moss, Welker, Stallworth, Gaffney, Maroney, Faulk and Watson you need to be worried about.

And players other than QBs can call timeouts on the field.

A guy at my work used this argument as well. The ref called the timeout to help the patriots? Think about how absurd this is.

The Ravens want a timeout. The referee KNEW this timeout would help the Patriots, so PRIOR to the ball even being snapped the referee saw the imminent situation the Ravens would stop the QB sneak on 4th and 1. So despite knowing it was not Brian Billick's voice making the call(another fantastic assumption), he decides to grant the timeout to save the Patriots from a play he knew was going to happen because he can see the future.

Yeah makes a ton of sense. Or maybe Jaguars fans should just stop being assclowns.

I find it funny that Pats fans, of all fans are suggesting the NFL is fixed. You guys should take a look in the mirror, because every single call seems to go your way when you need it. Half the crap Randy Moss gets away with as far as pushing off would be called on 99% of the receivers in the NFL. The NFL gave you guys so many chances to win the Ravens game that it wouldn't surprise me if the games were fixed.

Not looking forward to the Jags taking on 15 people Saturday, but we will do our best.

Just enjoy your last week of the season. But hey. You can be a colts fan next week right?

I don't understand why Polian has so much push on the rules? Can anyone explain that? Is it just a coincedance that the pats headsets did not work in that game in indy? Oh how I would love to see the Patriots beat down Polians team in the playoffs again.

I find it funny that Pats fans, of all fans are suggesting the NFL is fixed. You guys should take a look in the mirror, because every single call seems to go your way when you need it. Half the crap Randy Moss gets away with as far as pushing off would be called on 99% of the receivers in the NFL. The NFL gave you guys so many chances to win the Ravens game that it wouldn't surprise me if the games were fixed.

Not looking forward to the Jags taking on 15 people Saturday, but we will do our best.

If any team has the refs in their back pocket its the colts. did you watch the colts pats game this year? how often do you see indy get called for holding? maybe you need to take another look at the steelers colts playoff game in jan 2006, if you cant see that was slanted to favor the colts then you need to take off the homer sunglasses.

You guys should take a look in the mirror, because every single call seems to go your way when you need it.

It's actualy the other way round. Alot of BS calls went against us this season. The Baltimore situation was their own fault and nothing to do with the pats even though it was lucky for us, but still their own fault.

Your getting your excuses in early. Doesn't say much for the Jaguars support as your about the 7th person who's sh!tting themselves at the thought of playing us.

Last edited:
The way I see it... you guys have everything to lose. We have nothing to lose.

except the game. you do understand the concept of "do or die" right. if you lose, you are done. go tell the jagoff players they've got nothing to lose.

no that's wrong.

there's no way it could be called on 99% of the receivers because "99% of nfl receivers" don't see the field.

You would have to ask one of the experts on here, but there are several on every team's practice squad that make up your 99% but that don't ever play. Then there are the backups who only play special teams pretty much and barely get the ball thrown to them. if they do, they'll be so wide open they don't have to push off. And if somehow they do get the ball thrown to them when they are well covered and do push off, there's a small chance it will be called. But by this point you are already wrong and a stupid liar.

So 99% is wrong and you are a liar. God hates liars and so do I.

Last edited:
I find it funny that Pats fans, of all fans are suggesting the NFL is fixed. You guys should take a look in the mirror, because every single call seems to go your way when you need it. Half the crap Randy Moss gets away with as far as pushing off would be called on 99% of the receivers in the NFL.

So you're suggesting that Randy Moss doesn't lead the NFL in offensive PI calls?

Hmmmm...

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey