PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PFT: Chiefs to release Law

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ty law and Rodney at safety hmmmm and You still have Merriweather and Sanders for depth.\

James Sanders is a strong safety in the waiting and only played FS this year to get on the field. Remember last year, Sanders replaced Wilson at FS and Hawkins replaced Harrison at SS for at least 8+ games.

And James Sanders is good enough to start in front of any of the aforementioned players.

Actually, I think it's the other way around. It's shocking how many people here WANT him brought back. The only conclusion I can come to is that no one has watched any KC games recently. Perhaps he would be marginally better under our scheme, but I wouldn't bank on it.

Through 12 weeks, football outsiders had his success rate nearly identical to Asante, both were in the top 10 or so.

I can't find #s for the full season, if anyone has them, please share.

Through 12 weeks, football outsiders had his success rate nearly identical to Asante, both were in the top 10 or so.

I can't find #s for the full season, if anyone has them, please share.

Samuel didn't have a great year, either.

he wont come back because he will cost too much and he wont settle for peanuts. He will sign with some stupid team that overpays him and gets an old washed up CB. My prediction is Seattle will sign him if they lose Trufant, they signed Ashworthless for 4 mill they dont know what they are doing.

Samuel didn't have a great year, either.

I agree Samuel didn't have a special year, but my point was that both were rated fairly highly through 12 weeks in the DB metrics that football outsiders use. Take it for what's its worth...I know that even these stats that aim to be more analytical need to be taken with a grain of salt.

In the end its all coming down to $$$'s. Wouldnt be surprised if he came back, depends on the cap hit though!

James Sanders is a strong safety in the waiting and only played FS this year to get on the field. Remember last year, Sanders replaced Wilson at FS and Hawkins replaced Harrison at SS for at least 8+ games.

And James Sanders is good enough to start in front of any of the aforementioned players.

Look at how the usage of safeties broke down this year.....having four good ones was a big help and the four mentioned above would be an improvement on the four used this year. Basically Law is better than Gino.

Your point about Strong vs Free is mute because the Saftey positions in this system are pretty much the same.

No I am not ready to say that Sanders is better than Rodney.

Your point about Strong vs Free is mute because the Saftey positions in this system are pretty much the same.

that's so false it's laughable. Time for a lesson...

1 - Pats play a cover 3 in the secondary
2 - The three deep cover guys are the two CB's and FS
3 - Because the deep field is covered, the SS can press up toward the LOS and pass-rush, cover TE's man-to-man and help out in support. Basically acts as a cover linebacker.

i could go on and on, but thats just the outlines.

As for the Ty Law signing, i'd love it. There's no need to put Law at FS because he would be doing the same thing as he would at CB. The only difference is the CB covers the sideline, the FS covers the middle (both in deep zone). Law is actually better suited to CB because it would involve jumping more routes and reading the QB more than a FS. Love to see him back.

that's so false it's laughable. Time for a lesson...

1 - Pats play a cover 3 in the secondary
2 - The three deep cover guys are the two CB's and FS
3 - Because the deep field is covered, the SS can press up toward the LOS and pass-rush, cover TE's man-to-man and help out in support. Basically acts as a cover linebacker.

i could go on and on, but thats just the outlines.

As for the Ty Law signing, i'd love it. There's no need to put Law at FS because he would be doing the same thing as he would at CB. The only difference is the CB covers the sideline, the FS covers the middle (both in deep zone). Law is actually better suited to CB because it would involve jumping more routes and reading the QB more than a FS. Love to see him back.

Take a little closer look and you will see that it is not always the same safety dropping back. Their safeties switch sides of the field alot. While they still have a free safety dropping back it can be either of the safeties and both need to be able to do similar things.

I'd take him back IF the money was OK...ONLY IF that is the case..a good addition to teh team..

Take a little closer look and you will see that it is not always the same safety dropping back. Their safeties switch sides of the field alot. While they still have a free safety dropping back it can be either of the safeties and both need to be able to do similar things.

TBH i've only ever seen Harrison drop back in deep coverage in obvious situations. Having Sanders on the field at FS means he can do some of the things Rodney can because he is naturally SS, but that flexibility only really comes from James Sanders. I would say about 70/80% of the roles each safety has is different from the other.

TBH i've only ever seen Harrison drop back in deep coverage in obvious situations. Having Sanders on the field at FS means he can do some of the things Rodney can because he is naturally SS, but that flexibility only really comes from James Sanders. I would say about 70/80% of the roles each safety has is different from the other.

Rodney in the past would drop back deep a lot more often. He has turned more into the big nickle and in those instances Merriweather and Gino where usually on the free side with the deep drop backs. So I guess I would agree with what you are saying that it is Sanders flexibility that allows all of this. But all of the safeties are flexible and when I said the safeties are pretty much the same that is what I was refering to. But you are right they are not the same Rodney gives you different versatility than Sanders or Merriweather. I would say that Rodney and Gino were the least flexible Rodney more of a run stopper and gino more of a coverage safety (although he didn't cover anything of late).

But these guys abilities to do multiple things cancles out the idea of one them being a free safety only and the other being strong only and that was what I was getting at.....Not the Free safety responsibilities vs strong just that each responsiblity could be covered by any one of a few of the safety group.

Sign him. Sign him now.

In all honesty, Law is the perfect player to bring in if he'll accept a reasonable contract. Can bridge the gap to a young drafted CB, and also make the long-discussed transition to safety after Rodney retires. Plus, I still have very fond memories of him. Get it done, BB/SP.

I agree 100%. Bring him back. Even if Asante stays, bring him back. Law in the extra DB packages would be sweet! You think he'd ever let Plaxico Burress get behind him on 3rd down with :58 left in the friggin' Super Bowl?

His veteran presence for the young kids coming in (Aqib? Mike?) will be valuable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes