PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PFT: Brady Vs. The NFL coming sooner rather than later

Status
Not open for further replies.

RIpats88

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/05/16/expect-brady-vs-nfl-to-be-filed-sooner-than-later/

xpect Brady vs. NFL to be filed sooner than later
Posted by Mike Florio on May 16, 2015, 9:05 AM EDT
goodell3.jpg
Getty Images
In the case of Vikings running back Adrian Peterson, the federal lawsuit against the league came after arbitrator Harold Henderson upheld Peterson’s suspension. In the case of Patriots quarterback Tom Brady, expect the lawsuit to come before Commissioner Roger Goodell resolves the appeal of Brady’s four-game banishment.

With Brady and the NFL Players Association making a strong push for Commissioner Roger Goodell to delegate a neutral arbitrator to handle the appeal and with the league leaking on Friday that Goodell is “very unlikely” to step aside voluntarily, it’s highly likely if not certain that a lawsuit attempting to force Goodell to delegate the appeal will be filed, possibly soon.

“If the Commissioner does not appoint such a neutral arbitrator, the NFLPA and Mr. Brady will seek recusal and pursue all available relief to obtain an arbitrator who is not evidently partial,” the appeal letter to Vincent states.

The NFLPA filed a pre-appeal lawsuit in 2012, when Goodell decided to handle the appeal of his own decision to suspend multiple players in connection with the New Orleans bounty scandal. While a ruling on that point never came in court, the pressure from the litigation eventually prompted Goodell to appoint former Commissioner Paul Tagliabue to handle the appeal process.

The one certainty in this case (and perhaps the only certainty in this case) is that Goodell won’t be appointing Tagliabue again. Not only did Goodell’s former boss scrap all suspensions, but Tagliabue also issued a professional-yet-clear rebuke of Goodell for attempting to change a culture of the league by making an example out of one team at a time when many may be doing the same or similar things.

Three years ago, the NFLPA argued that Goodell already had determined the Saints players to be guilty. This time around, Goodell has insulated himself from such an argument because he delegated the initial decision to executive V.P. of football operations Troy Vincent. The primary argument in favor of recusal will come from the intent of the NFLPA and Brady to call Goodell as a witness for the appeal, on the question of whether and to what extent he was aware of the concerns about football inflation before testing of New England’s footballs occurred at halftime of the AFC title game in January.

Regardless of the specific arguments raised, the lawsuit surely is coming. As explained Friday, Goodell won’t be inclined to undermine the work of Ted Wells, who was hired by Goodell and who racked up millions in legal fees for work that started as an independent investigation but that finished as, in essence, a special prosecution.

If Wells and the NFL are so confident about the quality of his work, why not welcome a neutral third party to handle the case? As more and more of these high-profile disciplinary cases are processed by the league, more and more members of the media and fans are realizing that the league’s obsession with stacking the deck in the appeal process conflicts sharply with notions of fundamental fairness to those whose interests are being determined by persons with no interest in being truly fair.

get rady. Pride comes before the fall and I think we are witnessing the end of Roger goodell and hopefully once everything comes to light, everyone will see this for the farce that it is

Interesting, but no new information there - it's just an opinion piece. The same opinion that many on this site came to yesterday, but I didn't read any sources saying that they explicitly plan to do so.

Hey Roger.....Due Process is a ***** ain't it?!?! :p

It's pretty sad that it's gonna take winning a lawsuit to get him to appoint someone else to hear the appeal. I don't wanna ever hear that he is scared of Kraft or helping Kraft. Goodell is fighting this to the end. He wants to punish the pats and doesn't wanna give an inch.

I've never thought Del Rio was a particularly good coach, but I do like the guy. He seems earnest in what he does. Seems like an OK fit for Oakland.

Same article though Pete Carroll took a mild shot at the Pats. I guess he wasn't THAT appreciative of BB coming to his rescue when he was getting pounded by the media over "the call".

I've never thought Del Rio was a particularly good coach, but I do like the guy. He seems earnest in what he does. Seems like an OK fit for Oakland.
Fired in two years probably. Not sure what Oakland was thinking there. We've seen that movie before and know full well how it ends. He had a good three year run from 05-07 I'll give him that but the other 5 years were mostly trash.

Fired in two years probably. Not sure what Oakland was thinking there. We've seen that movie before and know full well how it ends. He had a good three year run from 05-07 I'll give him that but the other 5 years were mostly trash.
Eh, I think it could go either way. Either he channels his past success and does well or he ends up being a transitional coach to develop players for 2-3 years. Oakland has some nice pieces.

Interesting, but no new information there - it's just an opinion piece. The same opinion that many on this site came to yesterday, but I didn't read any sources saying that they explicitly plan to do so.
It's what some of have been saying sincere January .

Brady vs NFL already happened in 2011

Brady vs NFL 2 in 2015

I always loved sequels more.

Last edited:
Whether one likes Del Rio or not, he is spot on with this; Del Rio said the NFL would have been better served by warning quarterbacks that tampering with the ball would not be tolerated going forward, noting that prolific passing offenses have helped drive the game's unprecedented popularity.

As far as Carroll, I disagree with characterizing him as taking a shot at the Patriots. IMHO he threw tacit support to the Patriots (though I can see why someone may see it differently). Consider the full comment from Carroll. His first sentiment in general was (FYI I'm basing this solely on the contents of the linked article, not what the full content of his actual words): **Investigating an accusation of improper behavior definitely has merit**. Then the next quote from Carroll, in the article, is giving an example of being wronged by an investigation and executive decision (regarding what the NCAA investigation did to USC). Why bring up an example that is very similar in structure to what another team is claiming happened to them? ((again this assumes it based on the linked article. The context of his full comments may paint a different picture).

If you went up to someone and asked your opinion of person X who is claiming he was mistreated and unfairly convicted by the police, and that someone responds "the police are right to investigate lawbreaking" and then says "I am a victim of mistreatment and unfair conviction by the police", would you think that person is supporting the police or leaning more toward tacit support for person X?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes