PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PFT: Asante's contract with the Eagles

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the end, give the guy credit he didn't sign with the Jets

it's funny to see pats fans act like he's not as good as hobbs

the guy was an all pro cb and helped NE out quite a bit aside from one horrible screwup in the superbowl.

the guy was an all pro cb and helped NE out quite a bit aside from one horrible screwup in the superbowl.

He is/was a good corner and did a good job for the Patriots. However, he is certainly not a $9+ million a year corner. Eagle fans will soon find this out.

It's really not that much money as he was rumored to be asking for. I thought he would end up getting more than Clements.

I'm also surprised that the Eagles want Asante Samuel. The Eagles usually have CB's that are physical at the line of scrimmage because of their blitzing schemes. Samuel isn't that physical at all.

Last edited:

If DB metrics showed that Hobbs and Samuel had the same effectiveness, why is that a stretch? What am I going to trust, an unbiased statistical analysis or reputation/fan's opinions?

Add to the fact that Hobbs drew all the tough assignments b/c Samuel wouldn't switch sides.

If someone can clearly explain to me why Samuel is an elite corner and why Hobbs is not a good corner, feel free. I encourage someone to try and SHOW me why, without just mentioning Asante's playmaking abilities.

Only a few people are saying that. I think my viewpoint is pretty much in line with most Pats fans: he's good at playing zone, and gets a bunch of interceptions, with the negative being that his freelancing causes him to blow assignments from time to time. Very good corner, but I have no problem with letting someone else pay him $10M per year.

He is/was a good corner and did a good job for the Patriots. However, he is certainly not a $9+ million a year corner. Eagle fans will soon find this out.

He is a $9+ million dollar a year corner, because a team just paid him that. I'm glad the Patriots weren't the team to shell out that much, but that doesn't change the fact that $9+ million is his market value. People around here love to bash on Samuel, but the fact is he's improved basically every year with the team. I'm confident he is significantly better than Hobbs in pretty much every way. Do I think he's the best corner in the league? No. But he's certainly in the top 10 or so, and let's not act like he's going to completely vanish in Philly and have fans calling for his head by October (except to the extent that Philly fans do that naturally).

In the end, give the guy credit he didn't sign with the Jets

I'm always glad when a Patriot makes a big score elsewhere.
Players and agents notice how often this happens down the line.
One of the reasons it's good to play here: the halo effect.

Since he received MUCH more than our f/o think he's worth
... i actually wish that the Jets or Colts - of all teams - had signed Asante.
With a cap in place, their roster would have to be
commensurately weaker elsewhere.

He is gonna be playing Eli 2x a year now. I wonder how many balls go his way.

C'mon folks, Eli aint all that. I give him credit for what he did in the playoffs, but lets not throw the guy in a category he doesn't deserve to be in. Remember...Trent Dilfer won a Super Bowl. Asante will have his fair share of Eli Manning picks.

Just a question: if we don't bring in a stud FA (and I can't imagine we will at this point) does that mean we get a compensatory pick between the 3rd and 4th for the Asante loss? I can't imagine a bigger FA loss for any team this offseason. Asante broke the bank.

If the Patriots do not sign someone that off-sets Samuel, then yes, they'd get a 3rd round compensatory pick next season.

Samuel has been over-rated for the last 2 years. Also, you're dumb for your exaggeration. No one thinks that Samuel is worse than Hobbs. But Samuel isn't the type of "ELITE" cornber that shuts down a side of a field.

helped NE out quite a bit aside from one horrible screwup in the superbowl.
Are you talking about the easy TD he allowed or the INT he didn't catch ?

Samuel is good. We all know that. But he's not $10M good.

It is now official he signed a 6 year contract.

Clayton just said it's a 6 year deal that will pay him $57M. That equals out to $9.5M per, but Clayton claimes Samuel actually only gets $8M per over the first five years of the deal. That's only slightly more than what he got as a franchise player in 2007, and I'm sure the Eagles structured the contract so they can cut him in that sixth year, if they don't believe he's worth that huge salary.

If the Patriots wouldn't even give him that much ($8M per over the first 5), then I'm inclined to believe he wasn't really worth as much as everyone else seems to think. Although, I've held that opinion all along.

Last edited:
I differ from many of the posts here. Asante was what he was as a Patriot cb. Definitely a gambler which worked to our advantage, and our disadvantage at times. He's a solid cb. He should thrive in the Johnson defense. Give him credit for the years he put in here, and also the intelligence that he might have found an even better system for his skill set. It's a lot of money, but I really think he took the best opportunity as well (though probably not in terms of winning the SB).

Clayton just said it's a 6 year deal that will pay him $57M. That equals out to $9.5M per, but Clayton claimes Samuel actually only gets $8M per over the first five years of the deal. That's only slightly more than what he got as a franchise player in 2007, and I'm sure the Eagles structured the contract so they can cut him in that sixth year, if they don't believe he's worth that huge salary.

If the Patriots wouldn't even give him that much ($8M per over the first 5), then I'm inclined to believe he wasn't really worth as much as everyone else seems to think. Although, I've held that opinion all along.
Sebman, we'll find out soon, but I heard that he has over $30M guaranteed on that contract, which would make it one of the largest of all time...

Just a question: if we don't bring in a stud FA (and I can't imagine we will at this point) does that mean we get a compensatory pick between the 3rd and 4th for the Asante loss? I can't imagine a bigger FA loss for any team this offseason. Asante broke the bank.

Not this year - next year I'd almost guarantee that NE gets a compensatory pick. But we have yet to see what happens. NE might still sign a couple players, or Samuel might get injured and miss the season - that would reduce the value of the comp pick most likely.

Sebman, we'll find out soon, but I heard that he has over $30M guaranteed on that contract, which would make it one of the largest of all time...

Wasn't that $30M guaranteed what he was rumored to want, along with $10M per? We already know he didn't get $10M per over the first five, so his getting $30M guaranteed would seem a little high. I'm thinking it will probably end up being more like $24M guaranteed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back