PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PFT: After fateful PSI report, NFL declined to give real numbers to Chris Mortensen

Status
Not open for further replies.

NEPats1

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
I can't get over this story:

After fateful PSI report, NFL declined to give real numbers to Chris Mortensen

Regardless of how the false information made it to Mortensen (and it undoubtedly came from the league office), the league office refused to correct the record — despite moving swiftly to correct false information in many other contexts, as the New York Times now knows.

“I remember asking people in the league office, ‘Is there stuff we need to clarify?’” Mortensen told Bryan Curtis of The Ringer. “Basically, it was like, ‘Hey, let Ted Wells do his job.'”

That’s a damning indictment of the league’s role in creating the monster and then declining to kill it. Regardless of the work of Ted Wells, the NFL at all times had the PSI measurements at its disposal. The league could have, and should have, told the truth about the PSI numbers.

Sorry, Mort gets no kudos from me. He says all this after Brady has served his full BS suspension. It still took him months to delete the FALSE tweet and he never retracted it. **** that. I'm sorry about his cancer, and I'm glad he's OK, but that's a spineless pansy to do that.

"Let Ted Wells do his job"... what a ****ing copout. The NYJFL* gave the Patriots and Mort false info and he NEVER acknowledged it until now.

I wonder what changed because in August of 2015 he said...

“No, not at all. Nobody from the NFL ever identified Brady as being the target of an investigation in that first week we’re talking about, within three days of the game. Brady’s never mentioned. The Patriots are never mentioned. And the Wells investigation was not launched because of my reporting.[…] And Ted Wells himself in a conference call said, ‘It’s ludicrous to think that the league would want to smear its face of the league in Tom Brady with this type of campaign.’ To me, it’s an insult a little bit to the intelligence. But I do know the Patriots believe that, by the way. That is their belief, and therefore obviously their fanbase believes that, too…”

In other words, THE TEAM THAT IS TRANSGRESSED AND THE FANBASE is the problem. Unreal. Sit down and GFY, Mort. Seriously.

I can't get over how forgiving Florio was toward Mort in this post. He practically absolves him from any responsibility. I have ZERO animosity toward Mort for his original story. He wouldn't have been the first so called "insider" who was lied to and used by his source.

But the FACT is he never backed off his OP for almost 2 f#cking years, long after he knew full extent of the lies in his OP and, more importantly, the impact and damage those lies caused.

I'm happy he seems to be recovering from his bout with cancer, but the fact is, he seems to have very little remorse in the huge part he played in the fiasco. In fact he goes out of his way to create excuses and wants people to feel sorry for the death threats he REPORTEDLY got from Pats fans. Just a poor attempt by him to try and deflect what is the REAL story here. And that story is NOT that he was lied to at the start, but that he went along with that lie well after he knew the truth. He is STILL one of the more despicable villains in this sorry saga, and should be treated as such.

Last edited:
Yeah, it's actually sort of weird that he says "to his credit…" about Mortensen not raising hell about being lied to and stonewalled. As a journalist, he should have raised hell. It's to his eternal discredit that he let it stand.

Sorry, Mort gets no kudos from me. He says all this after Brady has served his full BS suspension. It still took him months to delete the FALSE tweet and he never retracted it. **** that. I'm sorry about his cancer, and I'm glad he's OK, but that's a spineless pansy to do that.

"Let Ted Wells do his job"... what a ****ing copout. The NYJFL* gave the Patriots and Mort false info and he NEVER acknowledged it until now.

I wonder what changed because in August of 2015 he said...

In other words, THE TEAM THAT IS TRANSGRESSED AND THE FANBASE is the problem. Unreal. Sit down and GFY, Mort. Seriously.
Why are people so hung up on deleting the tweet? It didn't matter, at all. He just needed to come out and apologizing for getting the info wrong (which of course he didn't do and should be shamed for).

Last edited:
To his credit, Mortensen never reacted to the fact that the NFL lied to him and then stonewalled him with the kind of anger and outcry that others (e.g., me) would have expressed if burned so badly by a source.

That's not to his credit, Florio. That's to his eternal shame.

Why are people so hung up on deleting the tweet? It didn't matter, at all. He just needed to come out and apologizing for getting the info wrong.

You don't see the problem with a reporter keeping information he knows to be wrong up on a news bearing twitter feed?

You don't see the problem with a reporter keeping information he knows to be wrong up on a news bearing twitter feed?
We've already seen it and I'm sure there's thousands of screenshots of it, deleting it weeks later is a meaningless gesture.

That's not to his credit, Florio. That's to his eternal shame.
I agree, said the same thing… But just looking at that now I almost wonder if that's Florio's sneaky way of taking a shot at Mort that he otherwise wouldn't because of some lame fraternity of football journalists code or Mort's cancer or something.

Take out "to his credit" and it's an absolute shot at Mortensen.

We've already seen it and I'm sure there's thousands of screenshots of it, deleting it weeks later is a meaningless gesture.

Ok, so keeping false information out, as if it's valid, is meaningless to you. That's an insane position, but I'll just move on.

Mort can help make it right by revealing who gave him the false information. He knows who it was. Sure it may end his career at least in association with the league but he can always do the right thing.

Unfortunately I think the best we'll get is "I apologize for my mistake, it was a source I trusted, I should have known to double check my source and I promise I will do better next time."

Mort can help make it right by revealing who gave him the false information. He knows who it was. Sure it may end his career at least in association with the league but he can always do the right thing.

Unfortunately I think the best we'll get is "I apologize for my mistake, it was a source I trusted, I should have known to double check my source and I promise I will do better next time."

Didn't it come out on D&C that it was Kensil? Am I remembering that wrong?

That's strange, because i dont recall Mort ever putting out a story including stuff like "It appears i got some wrong information, I've reached out to the league for correct information, but they have refused to give me the correct info. At this time please consider anything I've reported to be incorrect. Sincere apologies to the patriots and tom brady. As a journalist its my job to provide timely information, but more importantly CORRECT and Truthful information"

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes