PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PFT acknowledges that frenzied Pats rumour mill may be driven by resentment

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why not? If he is found by the public to be making up rumors himself, his site is ruined. If someone accuses of him making up rumors without any shread of evidence, that is making false and malicious statements to harm his credibility. That is libel.

Great, so basically anything you can say (or in this case, type) that is even REMOTELY defamatory now constitutes libel?

Glad we cleared that one up.

Here is the general definition of libel:

Defenses To Libel

If you’re defending against a defamation claim, you may be able to get out from under the lawsuit by proving:

* The statements you made were true
* What you said isn’t a statement of fact, but one of opinion
I guess we just have to start putting IMO after every sentence :)

IMO, of course :rolleyes:

Great, so basically anything you can say (or in this case, type) that is even REMOTELY defamatory now constitutes libel?

Someone's been watching Perry Mason reruns on TV Land.:D

Last edited:
Are you really this slow? I called it speculation:

Now, go find where I made unsubstantiated comments about Florio's integrity. When you can't, I'll expect an apology from you for the defamation.

No apology neccessary on my part. I honestly portrayed your comments:

I'm a little fuzzy on the whole "Rumor mill = just pulling stuff out of our ass with no legitimate confirmation that the rumor even exists" part.

Considering Tomase confirmed the Moss rumor existed, you have no proof that Florio doesn't get legitimate confirmation the rumor exists?

Last edited:

Acusing him of making up rumors without proof is libeling him. Saying he sucks because a lot of his rumors don't come true is not.

You clearly haven't cleared it up because you missed the part that talks about "maliciously or damagingly misrepresents". Opinions are not misrepresentations. Claiming someone is making up rumors without evidence is.

I guess we just have to start putting IMO after every sentence :)

IMO, of course :rolleyes:

Screw that, I've got evidence he makes stuff up. I've got a better chance proving what i say is true than he does.:D

Acusing him of making up rumors without proof is libeling him. Saying he sucks because a lot of his rumors don't come true is not.

You clearly haven't cleared it up because you missed the part that talks about "maliciously or damagingly misrepresents". Opinions are not misrepresentations. Claiming someone is making up rumors without evidence is.

You obviously don't know how hard it is to prove libel, (If it was easy, sites like the rumormill would have been shut down long ago).

Why don't you run this scenario by an actual lawyer before playing one yourself?

"DID HARRISON SUSPENSION CAUSE PATS TO YIELD ON SAMUEL?

We usually pride ourselves on being able to connect the dots when it comes to NFL stories that have no apparent linkage on the surface. We also pride ourselves in being willing to pilfer the ideas of others who have connected the dots in situations where we've yet to do so.

We've "borrowed" the present concept from a cousin who was at a family reunion on Sunday, and who is a Boston native and thus a raging fan of any of the sports teams headquartered there.

The idea is this: Last week, when the Patriots unexpectedly included into cornerback Asante Samuel's one-year, $7.79 million contract provisions allowing him to escape the use of the franchise tag in 2008, did the team make this concession because it knew that safety Rodney Harrison was going to be suspended -- and that Samuel's people soon would know, too?

The answer, we think, is "Hell, yes."

It makes a lot of sense. The Pats, already shorthanded with Samuel holding out, knew that Harrison would miss the first four weeks of the regular season. Samuel, if he had known, would have had the leverage to move the triggers that will exempt him from the use of the franchise tag in 2008 even lower.

"Rodney's situation came up last week," coach Bill Belichick said on Monday.

Once the situation "came up," the team acted quickly (we believe) to get Samuel signed -- before Samuel would realize the problem that the team now faced.

The placement of Richard Seymour on the PUP list for the start of the season, which necessarily makes him unavailable for the first six weeks of it, also might have been a factor in the team's decision to give Samuel a chance to become an unrestricted free agent in 2008. Even though Seymour is a defensive linemen, the fact that he won't be available to put heat on opposing quarterbacks will put more pressure on the secondary, since there likely will be more time for receivers to get open.

So to anyone who thinks that the Pats merely went soft in dealing with Samuel, the truth likely is that the team recognized that it soon would be in a bind, and worked out a fair deal before the definition of "fair" changed."

Made up.

Defenses To Libel

If you’re defending against a defamation claim, you may be able to get out from under the lawsuit by proving:

* The statements you made were true
* What you said isn’t a statement of fact, but one of opinion
* Your statements were privileged (the interest you had in communicating your statement outweighed the defamed person’s interest in protecting their reputation)

http://personal-injury.lawyers.com/Slander-And-Libel.html

I wouldn't mention the word "libel" in front of Mr. Florio as he might be likely to leave the country before you explained you wanted to represent him in a suit against someone else.:D

It isn't made up. He is speculating. He clearly makes it obvious that he is speculating. If he made it up, he would say that he heard a rumor that it was the reason.

You might want to go back to school because you don't understand what speculation means. Show me one instance in his post where Florio states that he heard that Harrison's suspension was the cause of the Patriots giving into Samuel. Show me one case where he states it as fact. Show me one case where he sites sources providing a rumor.

No apology neccessary on my part. I honestly portrayed your comments:

Considering Tomase confirmed the Moss rumor existed, you have no proof that Florio doesn't get legitimate confirmation the rumor exists?

You need to look up the definitions of "rumor" and "exist" first.

Repeating a rumor in print, even if you heard it from someone else could possibly lead you to be charged for libel.

You obviously don't know how hard it is to prove libel, (If it was easy, sites like the rumormill would have been shut down long ago).

Why don't you run this scenario by an actual lawyer before playing one yourself?

Who is talking about the law? I am using the general definition of the word libel, not the legal definition. Why is that so hard to understand? Please go and look up the word libel before you comment.

It isn't made up. He is speculating. He clearly makes it obvious that he is speculating. If he made it up, he would say that he heard a rumor that it was the reason.
Fine. I speculate that he makes things up.

IMO (to protect myself).

:bricks:

You need to look up the definitions of "rumor" and "exist" first.

Repeating a rumor in print, even if you heard it from someone else could possibly lead you to be charged for libel.

Repeat. Go look up the word libel in the diction. When you do, look for the legal definition and cross it out. Then look again, if there is not other definitions of libel, I will apologize. Otherwise, please do the same.

Fine. I speculate that he makes things up.

IMO (to protect myself).

:bricks:

That would not be libeling him. Good for you. You learned a new big kid's word today.

Originally Posted by Deus Irae View Post
I'm a little fuzzy on the whole "Rumor mill = just pulling stuff out of our ass with no legitimate confirmation that the rumor even exists" part.

What does the Moss rumor have to do with the speculation I was quoting?

You might want to go back to school because you don't understand what speculation means. Show me one instance in his post where Florio states that he heard that Harrison's suspension was the cause of the Patriots giving into Samuel. Show me one case where he states it as fact. Show me one case where he sites sources providing a rumor.

Are you a lawyer, or a doctorate candidate? Where do you get derive your expertise on libel law?

Do you really think Florio would want to go into a court room if the issue was libel considering his exposure on that issue relative to a message board poster who says he makes stuff up?

I'm not a lawyer. I have a grandfather and two ncles who were as well as a cousin and a nephew in his second year.

I find the actual practice of law interesting.

Last edited:
What does the Moss rumor have to do with the speculation I was quoting?

You said the Rumor Mill equals "just pulling stuff out of our ass with no legitimate confirmation that the rumor even exists" part." You never showed one shread of evidence of that. You showed one article where Florio never posted a single rumor and clearly represented it as speculation. The only rumors that Florio has put out about the Pats in the last week or two were the Moss and Seymour rumors. The Moss rumor was proven to exist by Tomase, but you claim that Florio posts rumors without legitimate confirmation that a rumor exists.

Repeat. Go look up the word libel in the diction. When you do, look for the legal definition and cross it out. Then look again, if there is not other definitions of libel, I will apologize. Otherwise, please do the same.

Do you really think all lawyers do is look up the definition in a dictionary?

I did go back to school. I'm a graduate student in Library Science with a 3.86 GPA.

Are you a lawyer, or a doctorate candidate? Where do you get derive your expertise on libel law?

Do you really think Florio would want to go into a court room if the issue was libel considering his exposure on that issue relative to a message board poster who says he makes stuff up?

I'm not a lawyer. I have a grandfather and two ncles who were as well as a cousin and a nephew in his second year.

I find the actual practice of law interesting.

Umm... I did take several business law classes in graduate school, but why is that relevant? You are the only one who is talking about the law.

You are a graduate student of library science, but you don't know that the dictionary has several definitions of what is libel and the legal definition is just one of them.

You said the Rumor Mill equals "just pulling stuff out of our ass with no legitimate confirmation that the rumor even exists" part." You never showed one shread of evidence of that. You showed one article where Florio never posted a single rumor and clearly represented it as speculation. The only rumors that Florio has put out about the Pats in the last week or two were the Moss and Seymour rumors. The Moss rumor was proven to exist by Tomase, but you claim that Florio posts rumors without legitimate confirmation that a rumor exists.

Your honor, a rumor can't "exist", it doesn't have substance, a corporeal body. Either the plaintiff has a legitimate source or he doesn't.

Do you really think all lawyers do is look up the definition in a dictionary?

Nope! But intelligent people do when they clearly don't know all the definition of a word. Maybe you aren't one of them.

Again, you don't get it. There isn't just a legal definition of libel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back