PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Peyton whining again

Status
Not open for further replies.

TrueBeliever

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, I'm strongly against the 18-game season. But not for the same reasons Peyton is:

Peyton Manning doesn't want a reduction in offseason workouts | ProFootballTalk.com

Specifically, here's what I don't like (emphasis added):

"They're trying to get rid of offseason workouts," Manning told Michael Silver of Yahoo! Sports. "They're talking about extending the season to 18 games, so they're going to cut down the offseason stuff in return. That's not a fair trade. Offseason workouts - that's how we've gotten our edge over the years. It's how you really develop a player and improve your craft."

In other words, the whole league should maneuver itself around what the Colts want? Apparently, the first question that should be asked when an issue arises is, "How will this affect the Colts?"

I mean honestly. Remember in the '80s when Buddy Ryan and the Bears started using the 4-6 defense and obliterating everyone? For one season, that is, until the rest of the league figured out a way to beat it. I get the feeling that if it had been Polian and the Colts, they would've complained to the league office that the other teams were making it harder for them to compete by realigning their offenses. Sheesh.

Is it just me? :confused:

Doesn't Polian want the 18 game season though? You hear stories about how Brady threw to Welker almost all offseason, that had to help our team.

I don't really see anything wrong with what Manning said...

And Rex still uses the 46 with the Jets... used it more so with the Ravens cos he had Ed Reed

Last edited:
SOunds to me like there's a growing disconnect between Manning and Polian. :D

SOunds to me like there's a growing disconnect between Manning and Polian. :D

Holdout coming soon. I heard from a source on an unnamed NFL fan messageboard.

That doesn't sound like whining to me. If you want the best product on the field, then you would support not cutting those offseason workouts. Do you want the NFL to put the best product out that it can?

That doesn't sound like whining to me. If you want the best product on the field, then you would support not cutting those offseason workouts. Do you want the NFL to put the best product out that it can?

I don't think the comment is that bad either. My guess though is that NFL would end up cutting out some mandatroy offseason workouts, or clarify the language to protect players better who skip voluntary ones. Perhaps Manning doesn't think he can convince his teammates to attend non-mandatory workouts?

Something is happening to the game, and it's not good. The product on the field is suffering now, and will continue to suffer.

I don't mind what Manning is saying IF HE'S RIGHT. If we're going to see sloppy play on the field because players aren't putting as much time in, then I'd agree with him. But I don't take it as a given. The NFL had just as much excitement when players were loading UPS trucks in the offseason.

I agree with him 100% in everything he said. I do not begrudge that to him AT ALL. He works extremely hard at getting new receivers on the same page. The offseason is where those bonds are solidified. Now the NFL wants to just summarily proscribe every aspect of everything, in the name of their God "Parity".

In a fight between Peyton and Goodell, I'll take Peyton every time. Goodell is an ***clown who thinks most everyone is dumber than him. In fact, it's the other way around.

In other words, the whole league should maneuver itself around what the Colts want? Apparently, the first question that should be asked when an issue arises is, "How will this affect the Colts?"
Well, if you ask Manning about it, of course he's going to tell you how it affects him and his teammates. What, do you want him to tell you how it will affect the Arizona Cardinals? To the players, this isn't a team vs. team issue, it's an owners vs. players issue, I expect the players will continue to advocate for themselves, as they should.

Last edited:
I'm sure this is true for Peyton and many other serious-minded, well disciplined players. However, I know that there are plenty of players that slack off in the off season.

Still, this is hardly the only issue at hand with respect to this change. But since the people that stand to lose out most are the players, I expect to hear a lot more "whining" from those getting the short end of the stick on this one.

when he says "we" i didnt understand it as we the colts, but as We the players....

when he says "we" i didnt understand it as we the colts, but as We the players....

I'm pretty sure he means we the Colts since he uses the word edge. The Colts have an edge on other teams. If it were we the players, there'd be no edge.

Maybe it's just his "gomerish" looks that make him appear to be either pouting or whining 24/7. Seriously though, I have no problem with what he said. He is a great QB through his meticulous off season preparation and on the practice field.This would bother me too.

Peyton..... want something to whine about!:)

alg_saints_celebrate.jpg

Pick 6 Baby
:rocker::rocker::rocker:

:)

Don't get me wrong, I'm strongly against the 18-game season. But not for the same reasons Peyton is:

Peyton Manning doesn't want a reduction in offseason workouts | ProFootballTalk.com

Specifically, here's what I don't like (emphasis added):

I mean honestly. Remember in the '80s when Buddy Ryan and the Bears started using the 4-6 defense and obliterating everyone? For one season, that is, until the rest of the league figured out a way to beat it. I get the feeling that if it had been Polian and the Colts, they would've complained to the league office that the other teams were making it harder for them to compete by realigning their offenses. Sheesh.

Is it just me? :confused:
It's probably not just you, but your irritation seems misplaced considering Tommy Brady needs to do the same with his receivers. Instead of Quarterback/Wide Receiver, lets consider the speculation about Ty Warren and his hip injury, some have made the claim that participation in the offseason program, instead of trying to finish college, might have strengthened his hip enough to allow him to play this season. Others have pointed to things like Revis' hamstring and insisted the offseason program prepares player's bodies so such injuries are limited.

I'm of the mind that Peyton is correctly criticizing the NFLPA for a stance that will do as much harm to players as the extended 18 game season proposed by the owners.

Doesn't Polian want the 18 game season though? You hear stories about how Brady threw to Welker almost all offseason, that had to help our team.

I don't really see anything wrong with what Manning said...

And Rex still uses the 46 with the Jets... used it more so with the Ravens cos he had Ed Reed

According to Albert Breer's piece, Kevin Mawae says that Polian is against the 18 game season, but the league is going to ram it through anyway and dissentors will have no say in the matter.

Peyton may be whining but that's also the way BB built his winners and the way guys named Welker and Woodhead and Green-Ellis, and Cassel and Colston and Patten and Brown and a whole lot of players managed to claw their way on to an NFL field - by impressing enough in off season camps and workouts and pre season games to ever get a shot at unseating an incumbant on someones PS let alone 53. People who care about the game get that. People who care more about their pocket book don't. And sadly that group includes the NFL season ticket holder base, the generic sports fan who wants more televised entertainment, the TV industry who wants more product to sell them, the NFL owners who want more revenue, the NFLPA who shares that one goal in common with ownership, and as some have begun to point out a fair number of existing players and their scummy agents who see this leading towards a shorter but potentially more profitable career during which they face fewer annual challenges to retain their job by guys whose dogged determination eventually trumps measurables based projections.

People who rationalize that cutting back on the offseason mitigates extending the regular season are clueless about what goes into developing much of the talent populating their fantasy rosters...and making them look like paper football geniuses. And in the end that's why guys like Peyton and Polian detest the tradeoff while still concluding it's inevitability. Coaches and GM's are almost universally opposed to it but they know that at the end of the day greed will prevail because that is what drives the majority of owners and players and their unions interest in this game.

manning gave an interview with nfl.com a few weeks back and said the same thing and also added that a lot of the later round picks and undrafted players like jeff saturday wouldve never gotten into the league if there were reduced preseason games because the games 3 and 4 are really where the roster is decided . so i have to agree with him

Manning's dead on, and can we stop acting like children? If Brady says this, everyone would agree and rightfully so. If our defense looks THIS lost, imagine how lost they would look with extra practice time gone, 2 weeks worth. That's a whole lot gameplanning that would never happen, and the quality of play around the league will suffer. Injuries will go up, etc.

I think Goodell's issue is he does too much. It wasn't bad for him to bring discipline to the league. What's bad is forcing the NFL into europe (trying, and is it really havin that much success?) and now this? Cmon man. Completely trying to fix something that's not broke. Maybe n 10 + years or so if the format is boring we can change it. But why now?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye