PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Peyton v. Tom for MVP

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't stand the Payton Manning ball-washing too. If they'll really look carefully Patriots are #27 while the Broncos are at #4 in total defense, that right there tells a lot!

If we beat 49ers and Texans Brady will win it!

Last edited:
As I've pointed out before, back when Manning had a better passer rating than Brady, Brady nevertheless had a higher passer rating in dome games and in games played outdoors. The only reason Manning's passer rating was higher was that everybody plays better indoors than outdoors, and Manning played far more games indoors than Brady did.

This is why the NFL needs to come up with a statistic like ops+ and era+ in baseball. That ops+ and era+ number takes into account (1) the stats, (2) the stadium factors, and (3) the era in which the guy played. In other words, Pedro Martinez' 1.74 era in 2000 is FAR more impressive than Sandy Koufax' 1.73 in 1966. Why? Because Pedro's 1.74 was done in the midst of the greatest offensive era in history, and it translated into a 291 era+. Koufax was still tremendous, but it was done in the midst of a great pitchers' era, and it translated into a 190 era+. Pedro's era was 0.01 worse than Koufax's, but it was a FAR better season given the era in which they pitched.

Comparing Brady to Manning...let's look at two years where their passer rating was similar.

Brady (2009) - 65.7%, 4398 yds, 28 td, 13 int, 96.2 rating
Manning (2007) - 65.4%, 4040 yds, 31 td, 14 int, 98.0 rating

In 2007, Manning played:
- 8 home games in a dome
- 7 road games in a warm weather site
- 1 road game in a cold weather, outdoor site (at Bal, on Dec 9)

In 2009, Brady played:
- 6 home games in a warm weather site (defined for our purposes as a Northeast site before Dec 1)
- 2 home games in a cold weather, outdoor site
- 7 road games in a warm weather or dome site
- 1 road game in a cold weather, outdoor site (at Buf, on Dec 20)

So just 1 of Peyton's 16 games was in an outdoor, cold-weather site, but 3 of Brady's were. That can have a huge impact on passing stats and passer rating. And in several years the difference was even bigger than 3 games to 1.

So an adjusted passer rating figure like ops+ or era+ would be really helpful.

i hate to be that guy, but W/L record and H2H results are TEAM stats, not QB stats....total offensive production is a function of the entire offense, of which the QB is just a part

i always look at it holistically.......peyton is the more skilled QB......TB is the better football player

Yeah and Peyton has the significantly better defense and OL as well as less injured offense.

Points allowed:
Broncos: 8th
Patriots: 13th

Yards allowed:
Broncos: 4th
Patriots 28th

I'm not sure what Bradys actual number is, but I do know that per ESPN Peyton is #1 in the NFL in least pressured at a 14% clip.

Better OL play.
Better defensive play.
Healthy receiving options.
Better statistical season (QBR)
Historically efficient season (TD:INT)
Historically productive season (Pace to have all time record for points in a season)
Head to head (Brady blew out Peyton)
Better conference seeding (Patriots #3, Broncos #4)

Brady is better than Peyton in almost every way this year. I really don't understand how there is even an argument, let alone some people saying Peyton is the favorite.

This is why the NFL needs to come up with a statistic like ops+ and era+ in baseball. That ops+ and era+ number takes into account (1) the stats, (2) the stadium factors, and (3) the era in which the guy played. In other words, Pedro Martinez' 1.74 era in 2000 is FAR more impressive than Sandy Koufax' 1.73 in 1966. Why? Because Pedro's 1.74 was done in the midst of the greatest offensive era in history, and it translated into a 291 era+. Koufax was still tremendous, but it was done in the midst of a great pitchers' era, and it translated into a 190 era+. Pedro's era was 0.01 worse than Koufax's, but it was a FAR better season given the era in which they pitched.

Comparing Brady to Manning...let's look at two years where their passer rating was similar.

Brady (2009) - 65.7%, 4398 yds, 28 td, 13 int, 96.2 rating
Manning (2007) - 65.4%, 4040 yds, 31 td, 14 int, 98.0 rating

In 2007, Manning played:
- 8 home games in a dome
- 7 road games in a warm weather site
- 1 road game in a cold weather, outdoor site (at Bal, on Dec 9)

In 2009, Brady played:
- 6 home games in a warm weather site (defined for our purposes as a Northeast site before Dec 1)
- 2 home games in a cold weather, outdoor site
- 7 road games in a warm weather or dome site
- 1 road game in a cold weather, outdoor site (at Buf, on Dec 20)

So just 1 of Peyton's 16 games was in an outdoor, cold-weather site, but 3 of Brady's were. That can have a huge impact on passing stats and passer rating. And in several years the difference was even bigger than 3 games to 1.

So an adjusted passer rating figure like ops+ or era+ would be really helpful.

The Patriots in 2009 also played the toughest pass defense gauntlet on record.

All three AFCE division rivals were in the top 7 in pass defense (Bills and Jets were #1 and #2.)

The Patriots also played the #3, #4, #5 and #6 defense IIRC. For those keeping track at home, that means the Patriots played 4 games against top 2 pass defenses and total it was top 7 pass defenses 9 times

I like having fun reading all the espn individual comments sections when they debate Peyton and Brady. One post that stood above all others and had all Manning homers resorting to spygate and cheating garb was this

Tom Brady average stats per season

29 TD's 10 INT 3,934 YDS (all a little higher because i added this season and it hasnt finished yet) 2 MVP's

Peyton Manning average stats per season

30 TD's 15 INT 4,149 YDS (all a little higher because i added this season and it hasnt finished yet) 4 MVP's

Stats almost identical besides interceptions

Tom Bradys Playoff Stats

38 TD's 20 INT 5285 YDS 16-6 record 3 Super Bowls 2 Superbowl MVP's

Peyton Manning Playoff Stats

29 TD's 19 INT's 5,389 YDS 9-10 record 1 Superbowl 1 Superbowl MVP

You can see by these stats Brady is the better QB because of the playoffs he steps up when needed thats my opinion

No one could argue that list.

Forgot what the posters handle was on espn since it was like 15 "load more conversations" deep.

But I suggest above if you need to get a Denver, Peyton is the greatest ever bandwagoner.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing