PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Peyton "rule change" Manning at it again

Let's be honest though, the Polian point of emphasis probably gave us Brady's 2007 season.... just sayin.
Honesty and agreeing with Polian is against board rules.

I agree that both teams should have at least one possession in overtime. And yes, a kick return is a possession.

He'd do well... but I doubt he'd throw 50 TD. These rules have been just as beneficial for Brady as for Manning IMO.

They've been beneficial for every quarterback. I'm not denying that. What I'm saying is that elite quarterbacks are still elite quarterbacks regardless of the rules. The referees let defenses play in the playoffs that season and I seem to remember Brady posting a perfect passer rating against Jacksonville.

He'd do well... but I doubt he'd throw 50 TD. These rules have been just as beneficial for Brady as for Manning IMO.
If you think stats are all that matters... Brady probably has at least one more SB win and Manning one less without the rule 'clarifications'.

Tom Brady's 3 Superbowl championships before hand says otherwise.

Tom Brady's 3 Superbowl championships before hand says otherwise.

Slight correction. Two beforehand. One the same year the rules changes took effect (2004).

Let's be honest though, the Polian point of emphasis probably gave us Brady's 2007 season.... just sayin.

Thanks for the objectivity. I never came here trolling, and never would. I should've known my comments would get flamed by some and start a comical back and forth with old pals like Kon. There was no dirt being thrown, I only had 2 points.
1. If the rules changed just for Peyton, they also helped a lot of pass first offense including New England, New Orleans and Green Bay.
2. Many fans outside of New England think Brady's the golden child, so some people feel the Pats are the ones protected. No dirt throwing or trolling at all from me, was just trying to say take it easy on saying Peyton is protected or the golden child .
I'm already getting flammed so why not, this is hillarious

brady lamb.png

You're getting harsh replies beca1use you do NOT know what you are talking about.

Again no dirt being thrown, but
1. the Pats vs Raiders Tuck Rule is the most notorious instance of the rule being used, can't be denied. I never once said it was created just for that game, but rarely called and I believe never called in the playoffs prior to that, I know what I'm talking about.
2. the hitting a QB low rule changed after Brady got hurt, I know what I'm talking about. A rule was in place after Palmer got hurt, but it was changed after Brady got hurt as well, ie. the rule changed because of Brady's injury.

I'll bet anything both of those statments hold up in a non biased setting. Broken record statement, but no trolling being administered, just saying hey now, people feel you guys are favored as well, so let's take it easy. No one is discrediting your franchise or QB.

Tuck rarely called is untrue. Way back on post #28 I cited one example of it being called against the Pats in 2001. Tuck Rule was called about 10 times that year. Only the mediotes braying made the snow game call notorious.

For a true example of rare, try the call against the Patriots last season where the Jets missed the field goal for the loss only to have a rule about contacting a fellow player in front of you in a FG situation invoked the only time ever in NFL history. Jets get yards and make the next kick to win. THAT is an example of rare.

The points of complaint about the polian-manning rules changes is:

What it did to the NFL as a whole - degraded the way the game is played*
That it unfairly penalized 11 guys ON EVERY TEAM (32) - the defense,
That it made the referees take a more central role in the outcomes of games, leading to the very gaming of PO games ( undeniable that refs were not directed by nfl to help pay-me and then squeelers after the squeelers overcame the bs calls to beat dolts).
And that it was done specifically to game the system for one team that had a strong offense and would take several years and dramatic cap changes to , if ever, gain a sb level defense.

The complaints have nothing to do with TB and his stats or comparison to pay me . As someone else said, 'he still would have been great'- (maybe just with 500-800 less yds per season with same win totals.)

* in another thread someone just linked to the grantland article talking about peds with the chart of ridiculous HR records. The polian-manning rules are the equivalent of peds in BB; just in nfl it's the nbr of 5K yd passers vs 60 HR sluggers. In Either game it is a travesty to the glorious history of the games.

Or as Ive referenced earlier, a true example of rare is calling a penalty in the inzone during an AFCC game of a rule that doesnt even exist

Face-guarding.

These calls go both ways.

Ask a Patriot whether Eli should have been whistled down or whether there was blatant holding going on.

Last edited:
Tuck rarely called is untrue. Way back on post #28 I cited one example of it being called against the Pats in 2001. Tuck Rule was called about 10 times that year. Only the mediotes braying made the snow game call notorious.

For a true example of rare, try the call against the Patriots last season where the Jets missed the field goal for the loss only to have a rule about contacting a fellow player in front of you in a FG situation invoked the only time ever in NFL history. Jets get yards and make the next kick to win. THAT is an example of rare.
If I'm not mistaken (and I could be), that's the only time it's been called.

1. the Pats vs Raiders Tuck Rule is the most notorious instance of the rule being used, can't be denied.
How can you say a correct call, PROPERLY using the rule is NOTORIOUS?
Thats like saying when the Broncos recovered a Ridley fumble last year, it was the most notorious example of the rule regarding that its a fumble if the ball comes out before you are down.

I never once said it was created just for that game, but rarely called and I believe never called in the playoffs prior to that, I know what I'm talking about.
It was called every time it applied. You are trolling by implying it happened and wasn't called. It was not selectively applied.

2. the hitting a QB low rule changed after Brady got hurt, I know what I'm talking about. A rule was in place after Palmer got hurt, but it was changed after Brady got hurt as well, ie. the rule changed because of Brady's injury.
No, the rule changed because of Bernard Pollards cheap shot.

I'll bet anything both of those statments hold up in a non biased setting. Broken record statement, but no trolling being administered, just saying hey now, people feel you guys are favored as well, so let's take it easy. No one is discrediting your franchise or QB.
You are a textbook troll. You are distorting facts just to incite an argument.

1. the Pats vs Raiders Tuck Rule is the most notorious instance of the rule being used, can't be denied. I never once said it was created just for that game, but rarely called and I believe never called in the playoffs prior to that, I know what I'm talking about.

No, you do NOT know what you are talking about. READ what is REAL, what is the TRUTH and then try to realize that you were and ARE 100% wrong.

On January 8, 2006, the Bengals met their division rival Pittsburgh in the first round of the AFC playoffs at Paul Brown Stadium in Cincinnati.

On the Bengals' first pass play, Carson Palmer threw a 66-yard pass to rookie receiver Chris Henry. It was the longest completion in Bengals playoff history. After Palmer released the pass, Steelers defensive tackle Kimo von Oelhoffen was pushed from behind while diving for Palmer, violently wrenching Palmer's knee, and he was forced to leave the game. A magnetic resonance imaging test revealed a severe knee injury, thought to be career-threatening at the time; Palmer had tears of both the anterior cruciate and medial collateral ligaments as well as cartilage and meniscus damage. Coincidentally, Henry himself suffered a knee injury on the same play, though far less severe. Having knocked Palmer out of the game the Steelers went on to win 31–17.

During the off-season, the league's Rules Committee modified the rule regarding low hits on quarterbacks. The new rule prohibited defenders from hitting a passer at or below the knee unless they are blocked into him. The so-called "Carson Palmer Rule" now requires that defenders take every opportunity to avoid hitting a quarterback at or below the knees when the quarterback is in a defenseless position looking to throw with both feet on the ground.

"During the off-season, the league's Rules Committee modified the rule regarding low hits on quarterbacks. The new rule prohibited defenders from hitting a passer at or below the knee unless they are blocked into him. The so-called "Carson Palmer Rule" now requires that defenders take every opportunity to avoid hitting a quarterback at or below the knees when the quarterback is in a defenseless position looking to throw with both feet on the ground."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carson_Palmer

"
After Tom Brady's season-ending injury during the Patriots' opening weekend against the Kansas City Chiefs, the Competition Committee further adapted the rule.

The clarification specifically prohibits a defender on the ground who hasn't been blocked or fouled directly into the quarterback from lunging or diving at the quarterback's lower legs."

as usual, you ignorant Manning apologists try to come up with all kinds of twists and spins to denigrate Brady while practically ignoring the scumbag face sitting event that is a BLOTCH, a STAIN on your precious Peytie's so-called pure career. The fact that you have the unmitigated gall, the temerity to say the tuck rule was rarely enforced before the Raiders game illustrates the FACT that you ARE a troll. You have been shown in this very thread to be WRONG...over and over...and yet you persist with your string of lies.

He also whined about the schedule being unfair to the Broncos ahead of Week 4 last season:
"We're coming off of a short week -- it's nice of the NFL to give Philly [10] days and give us six," Manning said on Monday, via CSNPhilly.com.

Manning probably shouldn't look to Eagles coach Chip Kelly for any sympathy, because he won't get any. The Eagles were the only team in the NFL that had to play their first three games in a span of 11 days.
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on...t-happy-that-eagles-get-extra-time-to-prepare

The entire Manning family can blow me.

Last edited:

What was bad was that the Jets did the exact same thing and didn't get called for it. I've never been a "fix is in" type of lad. As a matter of fact, I've questioned the sexuality and/or sanity of the people that do think the NFL is fixed. But, I have to be honest, that call made me wonder...

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back