PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Peyton Manning vrs Joe Montana.

Montana had his Brady-sized share of postseason struggles. People just ignore them.

I think one more would put Brady on top. If he got 2 more, I don't think it would be disputed by much of anyone.

Really? It's nonsense!?

Please compare for the class Peyton Manning to Joe Montana in a way that isn't completely ridiculous.

I didn't realize you were officially placed in charge of determining the criteria that designated the GOAT.

My apologies.

I didn't realize you were officially placed in charge of determining the criteria that designated the GOAT.

My apologies.

Not just him, there is a small, elite group of us.

My apologies.

Was the thread stupid? Yes

Did you breathe life into it? Absolutely

Is Peyton Manning in the class of Tom Brady and Joe Montana, at the absolute top of the NFL QB pyramid. No

Was the thread stupid? Yes

Did you breathe life into it? Absolutely

Is Peyton Manning in the class of Tom Brady and Joe Montana, at the absolute top of the NFL QB pyramid. No

Boring day at work.

I couldn't resist

Here come the pink hat Peyton apologists.

I think to based an argument as to why a quarterback is better than another solely based on amount of rings is really flawed.

Using this logic, we can argue that Dilfer is better than Marino. Or Eli is better than Brees. Is very irrational.

That being said, number of rings can definitively be used as a factor to choose one over the other. This is why the Brady-Manning argument is so great. They are really close and it is pretty much a toss-up. Manning obviously has the MVPs and great stats. Brady has the super bowls and postseason wins. The difference is that Brady also has great stats and Peyton also has one super bowl.

I think to based an argument as to why a quarterback is better than another solely based on amount of rings is really flawed.

Using this logic, we can argue that Dilfer is better than Marino. Or Eli is better than Brees. Is very irrational.

That being said, number of rings can definitively be used as a factor to choose one over the other. This is why the Brady-Manning argument is so great. They are really close and it is pretty much a toss-up. Manning obviously has the MVPs and great stats. Brady has the super bowls and postseason wins. The difference is that Brady also has great stats and Peyton also has one super bowl.

Manning has the MVPs? Dude, the Colts forum is that way --->

MVP's are the equivalent of being awarded the most handsome, or getting an MTV movie award for best kiss. They're subjective. They're opinion.

Championships aren't opinion.

And like I said, nobody can mention Manning as some sort of GOAT without it tying into Tom Brady. He doesn't get to that conversation without latching on to his rival to carry him there purely by virtue of BEING his rival.

Montana is allegedly the reigning GOAT. If Peyton can't be compared to him (Montana) head-to-head without the argument being laughed out of the room, and without invoking Tom Brady to carry him there, then he isn't in the conversation.

Period.

I believe the Goat discussion has evolved. In the past ,you needed only rings, now in order to be truly the greatest, you need to have the most rings and the most Stats. Brady is the most balanced of the bunch, but even he needs additional Superbowls in order to be the undisputed king.

i disagree, Stats and stat records are going to be broken, every single one, something that wont break is the number of superbowl titles a player gets. you can only win one a year, and the average player only last 3 years. manning might throw 55 tds this year, but that record will fall faster than another player winning 4 superbowls and playing in 6 which brady can do this year.
Manning will never have as many superbowl titles as brady. Theres a good chance out of every qb playing RIGHT NOW, none of them will make it to 5 superbowls, let alone win more then half of them.

i disagree, Stats and stat records are going to be broken, every single one, something that wont break is the number of superbowl titles a player gets. you can only win one a year, and the average player only last 3 years. manning might throw 55 tds this year, but that record will fall faster than another player winning 4 superbowls and playing in 6 which brady can do this year.
Manning will never have as many superbowl titles as brady. Theres a good chance out of every qb playing RIGHT NOW, none of them will make it to 5 superbowls, let alone win more then half of them.

Exactly.

There's a reason that football fans that aren't old enough to have ever seen Montana take a single snap still regard him as the GOAT.

Seriously, do these people honestly believe that in 30 years, 25 year old NFL fans are going to be arguing about Peyton's MVPs? LOL

No.

Not necessarily. Future rules could really skew that number. For example if the salary cap was ever removed a few teams would likely win a lot of superbowls compared to the rest of the league..

Not necessarily. Future rules could really skew that number. For example if the salary cap was ever removed a few teams would likely win a lot of superbowls compared to the rest of the league..

yeah that could happen and a team could buy a bunch of titles, and then those titles would be meaningless just like the yankees.

yeah that could happen and a team could buy a bunch of titles, and then those titles would be meaningless just like the yankees.

The game constantly evolves. What is the bread and butter for a generation can become near meaningless with the stroke of a pen.

And like I said, nobody can mention Manning as some sort of GOAT without it tying into Tom Brady. He doesn't get to that conversation without latching on to his rival to carry him there purely by virtue of BEING his rival.

Montana is allegedly the reigning GOAT. If Peyton can't be compared to him (Montana) head-to-head without the argument being laughed out of the room, and without invoking Tom Brady to carry him there, then he isn't in the conversation.

Period.

People don't need to be Manning apologists to realize that your argument is a poor one. Manning rises/falls on his own.

I have no problem saying that Manning is one of the greatest of all time. Doing so in fact makes Brady greater because it implies a stronger level of competition in winning championships. Its no great achievement if you are winning championships over a bunch nobodies. Every great team/player needs their nemesis and for Brady its Manning.

To me it isn't that Manning couldn't win more because he wasn't good enough...he didn't win more because he couldn't get past Brady.

People don't need to be Manning apologists to realize that your argument is a poor one. Manning rises/falls on his own.

Platitude:
: the quality or state of being dull or insipid
: a banal, trite, or stale remark

Brady = greatest modern day.
Montana = greatest of a different era.

You can never compare and have a greatest of all time since they played in very different eras with very different rules,you can never decisively say we have one greatest QB of all time just many great in their respective eras.Just my opinion.

Platitude:
: the quality or state of being dull or insipid
: a banal, trite, or stale remark

So... Pretty much everything you post on the topic of Manning (I may be being generous by limiting the topics noted) is a platitude. Congrats.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back