PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Peyton Manning: Still a Choker

Status
Not open for further replies.

JDSal45

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
A lot of people like to say Peyton Manning finally shed his choking ways last year as the Colts won the Super Bowl. Bull. He sucked in the playoffs last year, again, and only a remarkable revitalization at exactly the right time by the Colts defense allowed them to win it all.

Witness the evidence. In the playoffs last year, Peyton Mannings QB rating was a wretched 69.8. He threw 3 TDs and 7 INTs. In the Super Bowl, he tried his best to choke it away, throwing an early pick and fumbling away another. But only the worse performance by Rex Grossman allowed the Colts to win. Basically, in 16 playoff quarters last year, Manning played 14 awful quarters. Only in the second half against the Patriots did he play well. But that was against an exhausted defense riddled by the flu and injury (no Harrison or Seymour) that had just had to criss-cross the country numerous times. It was more the Pats defense just hit the wall of injuries and exhaustion than Manning. Even the final TD was a run, not a pass. Manning could have easily done one of his patented choke throws in the playoffs had he been given the chance to throw there.

The bottom line is, he still brought his game down, not up, when it mattered most. When your QB rating falls from 101 in the regular season to 69.8 in the playoffs, you're choking again. When you all of a sudden have a 3-7 TD/INT ratio in the playoffs when it was 31-9 in the regular season, you're choking again. He's damn lucky his defense stepped up for him, as well as the running game, or he would have been remembered for yet another embarassing post-season performance, because that is what it was. Now people don't really remember that.

Bottom line, he still has always choked when it matters. Or almost always, especially in post-season. Super Bowl ring he tried to choke away or not. And thats the facts.

J D Sal

Last edited:
A lot of people like to say Peyton Manning finally shed his choking ways last year as the Colts won the Super Bowl. Bull. He sucked in the playoffs last year, again, and only a remarkable revitalization at exactly the right time by the Colts defense allowed them to win it all.

Witness the evidence. In the playoffs last year, Peyton Mannings QB rating was a wretched 69.8. He threw 3 TDs and 7 INTs. In the Super Bowl, he tried his best to choke it away, throwing an early pick and fumbling away another. But only the worse performance by Rex Grossman allowed the Colts to win. Basically, in 16 playoff quarters last year, Manning played 14 awful quarters. Only in the second half against the Patriots did he play well. But that was against an exhausted defense riddled by the flu and injury (no Harrison or Seymour) that had just had to criss-cross the country numerous times. It was more the Pats defense just hit the wall of injuries and exhaustion than Manning. Even the final TD was a run, not a pass. Manning could have easily done one of his patented choke throws in the playoffs had he been given the chance to throw there.

The bottom line is, he still brought his game down, not up, when it mattered most. When your QB rating falls from 101 in the regular season to 69.8 in the playoffs, you're choking again. When you all of a sudden have a 3-7 TD/INT ratio in the playoffs when it was 31-9 in the regular season, you're choking again. He's damn lucky his defense stepped up for him, as well as the running game, or he would have been remembered for yet another embarassing post-season performance, because that is what it was. Now people don't really remember that.

Bottom line, he still has always choked when it matters. Or almost always, especially in post-season. Super Bowl ring he tried to choke away or not. And thats the facts.

J D Sal

Uh . . . yeah. Umm (tries to sneak out the side door)

I expect him to have a major choke job on Sunday.

As big as your second half defense in the AFCCG? Boy - that would be HUGE!

Our defense was on the bench for the second half of last years AFCCG.

They will be on the field on Sunday.

Unless Polian puts something in their water. ;)

Peyton chokes? I heard he had a special way of making the guys on the roster happy...

I agree, for the most part, with what you're saying. The numbers don't lie. Manning didn't play well in the playoffs last year. Except when it counted. And that's why I can't agree with the choker label in this case. It's true he wasn't clutch against the Chiefs, Ravens, and Bears. But he didn't need to be. Those teams were fundamentally flawed themselves. When it counted the most, however, he and his team made the plays and our guys didn't (I guess there is a first time for everything). IMO, that singular performance cancels out all the mistakes.

When Manning threw the pick that Samuel took to the house to make it 21-3 I jumped out of my chair and called my buddy to begin checking flights to Miami. I remember him telling me I was getting ahead of myself, that it wasn't over yet, and we needed to wait until AFTER the game. My reply was there is no way Peyton comes back from this. The monkey on his back is now an 800 pound gorilla. We all know the rest. Since having to choke down my own words that day I have come to have a new found respect for the man as a QB.

What is Peyton's career QB rating in the playoffs? Doesn't he have like twice as many INT's as TD's in the postseason?

if this sunday was a playoff game, then maybe he would choke. I think he will bring his A game though and be prepared to give the best he's got. My guess is that in the playoffs he tries too hard, I dont know because someone who has the ability of peyton manning should not be a subpar performer in the playoffs, yet he is. As he gets older, I think his choking ways should start to diminish............maybe lol

last year in the regular season game brady was picked off 4 times. and in the AFCCG he ended the season by being picked off. so brady has some demons against this team from last year. i bet he gets them out sunday.

Manning sucked in the playoffs last year, the Colts won despite him not because of him.

I completely disagree. As the season wore on, I started to worry about the Colts toughing it out and winning ugly.

It seemed like, instead of worrying about his quarterback rating, Peyton was actually making the plays to win the game when defenses were overplaying for the pass.

My worst fears were realized as he started to take what the defense gave him, even if it meant handing off to Addai. They won the thing and came back from an 18 point deficit against us to do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes