PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Peyton Manning: Patriots fans, VERY CLASSY

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trust me, I'mnot part of the 1% and I understand how enormous an amount of money $500,000 is. ButVinatieri is a wealthy man. He's been an elite kicker for awhile and has been paid like it. I think it was something like 3.5 mil a year versus 4 mil a year. What I mean is... in the grand scheme of things (how much has he made over the last decade in total?), it was a pretty small amount of money considering what his status here was. The only saving grace he has is that maybe he felt it was a slap in the face that "for all he's done for thePatriots", they didn't want to reward him and match the money. And I guess I get that, but it just seems very petty. Or maybe I'm just overvaluing what I'd call the "Bruschi mentality"... that is, what is the dollar value of being so hyped up and loved in a sports town? Personally I'd think it's worth quite a bit, but clearly that isn't so for everyone.

When he made the snow bowl kick he was on the last year of a deal and making $500K. That got him a new 3 year deal (after they briefly tagged him) that averaged a little under $2M per year. Three years later they tagged him again and he got $2.5M. Miguel's page doesn't go back before 2001 but I bet he hadn't made as much money as the Colts offered him for 5 years in his preceeding ten year career here. And he knew he likely wouldn't see that money here, either because they are pretty bottom line.

Comparing anyone to Tedy is foolish. He made a choice most of them never do the day he arrived here. He wanted to play his entire career for one organization and put down roots here (which almost none of them have or will) and raise his family here. Never had the off season warm weather residence or close to where he grew up or went to school residence
or family home you move back to full time when your career is over. Lived modestly and did his own deals. And it all nearly bit him in the ass... He probably has to work in the media and do endorsements in order to insure his family still lives comfortably and his kids can attend great colleges. Most of these guys want to earn enough to make sure they don't have to keep earning enough once their playing days are over in case they can't...

I agree with pissah, this was a nice manning thread gone kicker wild but the scoop on adam was pretty informative, must be said. tnx mo

I'm still curious how they're going to work the draft next year. it's unfortunate Manning sticks with an organization that proudly stunts a perfect season and now seems to be tanking this one intentionally.

I'll never like the way he whines or throws his teammates under the bus, but in general, Manning won me over when he agreed to do the mock United Way video on SNL

Classic - any guy who will make fun of himself like that is ok in my book

Peyton Manning United Way Video

I'll never like the way he whines or throws his teammates under the bus, but in general, Manning won me over when he agreed to do the mock United Way video on SNL

It got infinitely harder to hate him after that aired...

I forgot how graet this video is...

Ever take $500,000 less?

Why wouldn't you at the very least, give Vinatieri the same respect you reserve for Manning, including career achievements?

The Snow Bowl and SB 48 yarder should have given Vinatieri a lifetime free pass from being booed in Foxboro, sadly it didn't.

Do the math. Me taking 20% less is FAR more lifestyle affecting than The Vinitraitor taking 20% less. Disposable income. It's easy to turn down percentages when you already have huge numbers. Much harder if you don't.

As to immunity, that's equivalent to saying a lifetime of good or great deeds gives a person immunity from a subsequent violation. Life doesn't work that way.

Benedict Arnold had a brilliant career that should have given him immunity when he became a turncoat? Yes, they're not morally equivalent but it is your contention that one's prior deeds bestows immunity for subsequent acts.

But no, I would not boo AV anyhow.

Last edited:
It's pretty awesome how the Colts - Pats rivalry and Manning - Brady dynamic evolved. It was never going to get to this civil of a place until both teams won a Super Bowl and both teams endured a year without their star QB.

I can't say that I'm a Peyton Manning "fan", but it's pretty funny to compare how I viewed him in 2003 to how I view him now, and I'm sure most of you feel the same.

We have been privileged to have an adversary as worthy as Peyton.

Count me as a person who softened on Peytie Pie after watching him on SNL. I never laughed so hard at a sketch in my life. A perfect send up of himself.

What fans would insult an injured player? Oh right, Steeler fans.

What fans would insult an injured player? Oh right, Steeler fans.
Hands down, the most despicable, entitled, nose-in-the-air, hateful fanbase in the world (not just America, the world). They make Jets' fans (the most delusional in the world) seem like reasonable people. Well, maybe...

Wait to Peyton comes into Foxborough as a Jet... somehow I think the fans will be less gracious.

Do the math. Me taking 20% less is FAR more lifestyle affecting than The Vinitraitor taking 20% less. Disposable income. It's easy to turn down percentages when you already have huge numbers. Much harder if you don't.

As to immunity, that's equivalent to saying a lifetime of good or great deeds gives a person immunity from a subsequent violation. Life doesn't work that way.

Benedict Arnold had a brilliant career that should have given him immunity when he became a turncoat? Yes, they're not morally equivalent but it is your contention that one's prior deeds bestows immunity for subsequent acts.

But no, I would not boo AV anyhow.

Benedict Arnold was a turncoat General during our country's fight for independence. He committed Treason.

Vinatieri took significantly more guaranteed money from another team. He committed no crime.

Ridiculous comparison.

Benedict Arnold was a turncoat General during our country's fight for independence. He committed Treason.

Vinatieri took significantly more guaranteed money from another team. He committed no crime.

Ridiculous comparison.

Reading comprehension is a rare skill sadly lost on some.

I stated "they're not morally equivalent"

Reading comprehension is a rare skill sadly lost on some.

I stated "they're not morally equivalent"

It has nothing to do with reading comprehension.

Why use the comparison at all, of course they' re not morally equivalent, they're not equivalent on any level.

It has nothing to do with reading comprehension.

Why use the comparison at all, of course they' re not morally equivalent, they're not equivalent on any level.

I was illustrating a fallacy in argument

You missed that point and the blatant disclaimer as well

Weak

Count me as a person who softened on Peytie Pie after watching him on SNL. I never laughed so hard at a sketch in my life. A perfect send up of himself.

Yes - and after Spygate, his stated willingness to "kill a snitch" as in the video was especially appreciated.

But aside from that I think I liked the rivalry more all the years when Peyton had the monkey on his back of not winning the Super Bowl.

After he got one in a weird way he became a JAG to me - one of a long list of QBs with just one SB under their belt - nothing to feel threatened about in a football sense.

I was illustrating a fallacy in argument

You missed that point and the blatant disclaimer as well

Weak

No, I did not miss the point or the disclaimer. You simply can't compare the two.

Of course any accomplished person can tarnish their legacy by committing a heinous act. In my view accepting a contract for significantly more and guaranteed money is not such an act.

However, for your benefit, I'll include a disclaimer on my view of whether or not to boo Vinatieri.

Adam Vinatieri, for all his accomplishments and contributions to the Patriots first ever Super Bowl win as well as two other SB wins should not be booed at Gillette Stadium........ that is unless he commits the act of treason against our country.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back